Maximilian Schell dies at 83

Brock

:( He was completely deserving of his Oscar win for Judgement at Nuremberg, a film overflowing with brilliant performances.

Austrian-born actor Maximilian Schell, a fugitive from Adolf Hitler who became a Hollywood favorite and won an Oscar for his role as a defense attorney in "Judgment at Nuremberg," has died. He was 83.

Schell's agent, Patricia Baumbauer, said Saturday he died overnight at a hospital in Innsbruck following a "sudden and serious illness," the Austria Press Agency reported.

It was only his second Hollywood role, as defense attorney Hans Rolfe in Stanley Kramer's classic "Judgment at Nuremberg," that earned him wide international acclaim. Schell's impassioned but unsuccessful defense of four Nazi judges on trial for sentencing innocent victims to death won him the 1961 Academy Award for best actor. Schell had first played Rolfe in a 1959 episode of the television program "Playhouse 90."

MORE: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/oscar-winning-actor-maximilian-schell-dies-83-22327287

One of my favorite episodes of Desilu Playhouse is one that Schell did with Joan Fontaine (who also just left us)... It was a pre-WW2 thriller set in Berlin, circa 1937, called "Perilous."

One of these days I hope CBS (or someone reputable) will put out a full series set of these Playhouse programs!

Tjw

:( Judgement at Nuremberg is a phenomenal movie and Schell was completely deserving of his Oscar. I think Montgomery Clift should have won too. The 1961 Oscars was the earliest ceremony where all four acting winners were still alive (Schell, Sophia Loren, Rita Moreno, and George Chakiris.) I think the earliest now is 1978 (Jon Voight, Jane Fonda, Maggie Smith, Christopher Walken), 

:( Judgement at Nuremberg is a phenomenal movie and Schell was completely deserving of his Oscar. I think Montgomery Clift should have won too. The 1961 Oscars was the earliest ceremony where all four acting winners were still alive (Schell, Sophia Loren, Rita Moreno, and George Chakiris.) I think the earliest now is 1978 (Jon Voight, Jane Fonda, Maggie Smith, Christopher Walken), 

I agree, Montgomery Clift gave a brilliant performance. RIP Schell

I agree, Montgomery Clift gave a brilliant performance. RIP Schell

I agree with you both -- when I first saw the film, Clift's performance was the one that really stuck with me as well.

Archived