Lucys Not As Known But Just As Funny Moment#10

Mmadluv7

Mr. Carmichael is referenced in two other early episodes. In "Lucy Buys a Sheep," Chris says Mr. Barnsdahl is "in charge of the money Daddy left us." In "Lucy is a Kangaroo for a Day," Barnsdahl reads Mr. Carmichael's will about not giving Lucy extra money. They should have referred to this more often. It makes Lucy's bankers look less mean.

Lucy and Viv have been living together for four years by the time "Lucy and Viv Learn Judo" comes along, so Lucy's husband has been dead for at least that long.

Good God, have been watching the shows for decades and don't remember any of those lines referring to the husband/father.  Shel, I could see everybody telling the writers NOT to mention him as people would still think of Desi as the I Love Lucy competed with her other two series for decades.  Not to mention her new insecure hubby was on set and would certainly not appreciate that in the script.

Well at least the one episode romance of Lucy and waspish "Gary Stewart" didn't go anywhere....despite, Gary's "Lucy....I LOVE YOU!" declaration when Lucy sinks a hole in one.

I actually think Gary would have been good as a semi-regular boyfriend and wonder if that avenue was pursued at all.  With the golf theme, it would seem that the show was written with Gary in mind.  Again I wonder (I do a lot of wondering) how the subject of Gary having a large role on an episode came up.

the publicity value alone would have enhanced the show.  From articles I've read, it did get some press.

If they would have kept Gary Jewish, they could have recycled a lot of lines used in I Love Lucy that were made funny by using "Cuba" as an adjective; and referred to Gary's heritage that way as in "Gone with the Hebrew Wind" or "It Happened One Gnosh"  "Three Goyims in a Fountain" "Andy Hardy Meets a Meeskite"....oh, the list could go on forever....

In Lucy and Joan she receives the title of

"The Widow Carmichael"

But again with LWL, it really was surprising how much we hear Sam mentioned throughout the series. The only show I can think of that was tackling this type of thing at the time was Golden Girls.

As I've said many times, even in that fan letter to Lucy, I also agreed gary would have been great on the show.  As much as I dislike him NOW, with all that history we've discovered over the years, but back then, as a fan, I thought the idea of Lucy having another man would have been terrific for plot lines.  No Gorboonas needed then.  And a big name co star to work with, like Audrey Meadows or Ann Sothern too.

Archived