Footage of William Frawley's funeral

Strange that Lucille didn't attend, though donchathink?

Yes, it is a bit odd that Lucy didn't attend. However considering what she thought of Frawley, one couldn't expect the Widow Mertz to be there except maybe to sing out "Happy Days Are Here Again".

I can't imagine that's anyone other than Patsy Kelly, though I don't know what their connection was. Bill and Edna Louise Roberta Mae Frawley had been divorced for decades which hardly qualifies her as the widow.

Also absent: Fred's mother. Instead of sending her a box of lint, maybe she got the urn of ashes.

Frawley had the longest life of the four: 79. Lucy was a close second at nearly 78. Viv: 70. Desi: a relatively young 69.

I can't find any evidence of Bill and Patsy Kelly working together on stage and screen. However, Patsy's bio on Find a Grave mentions Bill as one of her stage costars, but I can't find any project that featured the two of them.

I wonder if Bill and Edna Louise ever saw each other in the last 40 years of his life outside her surprise appearance on This Is Your Life in 1961. Edna Louise lived to be 99!

I can't find any evidence of Bill and Patsy Kelly working together on stage and screen. However, Patsy's bio on Find a Grave mentions Bill as one of her stage costars, but I can't find any project that featured the two of them.

I wonder if Bill and Edna Louise ever saw each other in the last 40 years of his life outside her surprise appearance on This Is Your Life in 1961. Edna Louise lived to be 99!

I think that's where I read that a while back.... Weren't we just talking about Edna this weekend, or is my mind wondering?

I think that's where I read that a while back.... Weren't we just talking about Edna this weekend, or is my mind wondering?

We were! I think we were talking about how when Lucy would talk about Bill in her seminars she said that his wife had died many years before they did I Love Lucy. Edna was, of course, still alive and outlived Lucy!

They did a "This is Your Life" for Bill Frawley? Has anyone seen it? Who appeared?

Maybe Edna could have played Fred's mother. She could have brought the box Ethel sent her to Connecticut, so she and Ricky could compare lint collections.

What do you know about Edna? I wonder what she thought of Bill's ILL success. What year did Edna die? When did they divorce? Did she continue in show business? Maybe teaming up with Barney's wife for their act "Mrs. Mertz and Kurtz: The Wives of the Laugh Twins".

Bill was the subject of a This Is Your Life in January 1961. I've never seen it. I'm not sure who was there besides the My Three Sons group and Edna Louise. Bill was not happy his ex-wife was there. Lucy was doing Wildcat at the time, but sent a recorded message that was played.

Mr. and Mrs. Frawley were married from 1913 to 1927, but they had been separated since 1921. I think Edna left show business after the marriage ended. She never remarried and lived until the age of 99 in 1992.

Although I had seen this before, it sure was nice to see again.  Of course that's actress Patsy Kelly, I also wondered why she was there.  Lucy never attended funerals, but issued a nice statement to the press.  The only funeral I remember her attending was Dino Martin jr's and I assume that was because he had been a good friend of Desi jr's and also Dino's and his wife's child, as she loved both of them.

Neither did I, Harry, you are a whiz!  I remember seeing Lucy on ET or something, showing her looking faint and having two people helping hold her up, she was so devastated at him dying in an accident like that at such a young age.  Dean never got over it.  Harry, you're so good at this, why don't you help answer some questions in the QUESTIONS FOR THE EXPERTS thread?  We need YOUR expertise. 

Archived