Don Pardo has died

HarryCarter

Don Pardo, the legendary voice of Saturday Night Live, had died at the age of 96. It's the end of an era. I can't imagine what SNL will do next month.

Veteran television and radio announcer Dominick “Don” Pardo, best known as the voice of Saturday Night Live, has died. He was 96.

Pardo’s daughter, Paula, confirmed the news to CBS Radio.

Pardo retired from NBC in 2004, but continued to provide the introductions for SNL — most recently, pre-recording them from his home in Arizona. He had only missed one season of SNL — the show’s seventh — giving him a longer tenure than even Lorne Michaels (who stepped away for five seasons).

“I can’t imagine the show without [Don],” Michaels once said, “and as long as he’s there, I stay young.”

Pardo — a 2010 Television Hall of Fame inductee — also lent his voice to game shows The Price Is Right, Jackpot and Jeopardy! He and iconic entertainer Bob Hope were the only two people to have lifetime contracts with NBC.

http://tvline.com/2014/08/18/don-pardo-dies-dead-saturday-night-live-announcer/

I know Bob Barker was popular; until the big sex 'take-down' by a couple of his 'hostesses'; but, Drew Carey has definitely, in my humble opinion, found his 'nitch' - he's warm, funny, and accepts a hug now and then . . . frequently.  Bob always loked horrified when they came lunging at him!

Drew Carey is someone I NEVER watched; not even once; until PIR!  He's lost weight and improved his health; and I find him enchanting.  Watch it every chance I get....

When I was interning on his show back in 99' he struck me as a very shy person, reserved but also very nice. Drew that is not Bob. PIR wasn't taking interns that year. I did hear how to handle a medical PR situation about Bob from his PR guy in a publicity class I took.

But I wasn't talking about Drew, Joyce, I was referring to their old announcer, I forget his name but his COME ON DOWN was a big part of the show.  And he passed away.  I think I read that even Don Pardo announced the show for a little while.  I agree that Bob was a letch and Drew is just fine as host, never saw that one coming.  I've also started watching the show again after many years and it's still got IT!  I think it's timeless like LUCY.

But I wasn't talking about Drew, Joyce, I was referring to their old announcer, I forget his name but his COME ON DOWN was a big part of the show.  And he passed away.  I think I read that even Don Pardo announced the show for a little while.  I agree that Bob was a letch and Drew is just fine as host, never saw that one coming.  I've also started watching the show again after many years and it's still got IT!  I think it's timeless like LUCY.

Excuse my error; as for announcers, I always LOVED Rod Roddy, I think his name was; he was the LOUD DRESSER, wasn't he?  Guess my reading skills ain't what they used to be; nothing else is either!!!!!  tee hee  Loving you, JK

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived