Jan Hooks has died.

Mot Morenzi

This is sad.  So young!

I enjoyed her so much.  Further, her era of SNL is my favorite.  And, although very young at that time, I was around for the first cast.  And I still think Jan's cast was the most consistently funny.  Jan and Phil Hartmann, two of the all-time bests both leaving us way too soon.

Jan was only 57, we still don't know what she died of, but she joins a rather lengthy list of former SNL stars who died much too young.  John Belushi and Chris Farley were only 33, both died of a drug overdose.  Gilda Radner, Danitra Vance and Tom Davis all died of cancer.  Gilda was 42, Danitra 40 and Tom Davis was the old man at 59.  Michael O Donoghue passed away of a cerebral hemorrhage at 54 while Phil Hartman got killed by his wife at 49 while Charles Rocket committed suicide at 56.  Of course the show has had almost 150 cast members.

Jan was only 57, we still don't know what she died of, but she joins a rather lengthy list of former SNL stars who died much too young.  John Belushi and Chris Farley were only 33, both died of a drug overdose.  Gilda Radner, Danitra Vance and Tom Davis all died of cancer.  Gilda was 42, Danitra 40 and Tom Davis was the old man at 59.  Michael O Donoghue passed away of a cerebral hemorrhage at 54 while Phil Hartman got killed by his wife at 49 while Charles Rocket committed suicide at 56.  Of course the show has had almost 150 cast members.

The Daily Fail quotes friends and neighbours saying she was battling cancer, but was apparently optimistic about it as late as last week. :(

Archived