Dennis The Menace coming to DVD in March 2011!

Brock

Great news! Shout Factory is releasing Dennis the Menace on DVD!

Airing on CBS from '59-'63, Dennis the Menace is a TV series based on the popular and iconic Hank Ketcham comic strip of the same name. The show follows the lives of the Mitchell family: Henry, Alice, and their only child, Dennis. Dennis is an energetic, well meaning, but trouble-prone boy...and sometimes a mischievous child. He often tangles with peace-and-quiet-loving neighbor, George Wilson. Available for the first time on any home entertainment format: all 32 original uncut episodes! Based on the iconic, long-running comic strip (which debuted in '51) and still runs daily in over 1,000 newspapers in 48 countries.

Just this past Friday we relayed the news that Shout! Factory is working on a DVD release for Dennis the Menace - Season 1, the classic 1959 sitcom starring Jay North as Dennis Mitchell. Today our contacts in the retail industry filled us on in a bit more information than that! We're informed that this will be a 5-disc set with 32 uncut, just-as-originally-broadcast episodes. We don't have pricing or package art yet, but we do have a street date: March 29th!

As we said in our previous report, Shout! DVD producer Brian Blum is working on bonus material for this set, and Shokus Internet Radio's host of Stu's Show, Stu Shostak, is involved on that end of things. Over this past weekend we've been peppered with questions about whether Shout! will include cast commercials, or new cast interviews and/or commentary tracks, etc. Commercials, of course, require clearances from the owners of the brands involved, and cast involvement naturally depends upon who's available and so forth. So the correct answer is "right now it's too early to know".

We've also had a number of readers inquire about a third-season episode of The Donna Reed Show, called "Donna Decorates", which guest starred Jay North as "Dennis 'The Menace' Mitchell" and Joseph Kearns as "Mr. Wilson": this cross-over event took place in September 1960, just before the second season premiere of Dennis. Fans have wondered if Shout! could include this as a bonus item on either the first or second season of their Dennis the Menace DVD releases; rest assured we've passed word on to Stu about the interest. We'll let you know if it bears any fruit!

Stay tuned for finalized details, pricing, extras and package art, just as soon as Shout! Factory makes them available.

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dennis-Menace-Season-1/14799#ixzz183BxgNNr

Now we just have to wait out Joseph Kearns for Season Three! :gale2:

• 3 months later...

Shout Factory is really motoring along with these Dennis the Menace DVDs! Season Two is coming out at the end of July, so hopefully we will get to the Gale years starting in November! :lucywow:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dennis-Menace-Season-2/15236

Gale appeared in season 3 but towards the end. After Kearns died, Williard Waterman stepped in as a Mr. Wilson-like character, but not Wilson. The 4th (and last) was Gale's full season and he brought his wife, giving the previous Mrs. Wilson (Sylvia Field, Mrs. Ernest Truex) the boot. They felt it was somewhat immoral for a man to be living with his brother's wife. I don't know how they explained Kearns's disappearance, but in 60's sitcom style he would have been "visiting his sister", "taking care of his mother, or (if he was working) "transferred to the middle east" and never referred to again. Kearns was a little too old to be shipped off to military school.

I bought season 1 and the real delight in these shows is Mary Wickes's recurring character "Ester Cathcart", a man-hungry spinster who a) is always breaking into a run and B) tries to entertain her reluctant gentlemen callers with her singing. She's only in a couple this first season, but appears in subsequent seasons, which may explain why she is not part of the volunteer firewomen in TLS season 1.

"Dennis" has a character named Theodore Mooney! I wonder if TLS did a subconscious steal.

Gale appeared in season 3 but towards the end. After Kearns died, Williard Waterman stepped in as a Mr. Wilson-like character, but not Wilson. The 4th (and last) was Gale's full season and he brought his wife, giving the previous Mrs. Wilson (Sylvia Field, Mrs. Ernest Truex) the boot. They felt it was somewhat immoral for a man to be living with his brother's wife. I don't know how they explained Kearns's disappearance, but in 60's sitcom style he would have been "visiting his sister", "taking care of his mother, or (if he was working) "transferred to the middle east" and never referred to again. Kearns was a little too old to be shipped off to military school.

I bought season 1 and the real delight in these shows is Mary Wickes's recurring character "Ester Cathcart", a man-hungry spinster who a) is always breaking into a run and B) tries to entertain her reluctant gentlemen callers with her singing. She's only in a couple this first season, but appears in subsequent seasons, which may explain why she is not part of the volunteer firewomen in TLS season 1.

"Dennis" has a character named Theodore Mooney! I wonder if TLS did a subconscious steal.

Probably NOT, the Lucy writers after Bob and Madelyn left were known to be UNCONCIOUS most of the time. That's evident in most of their writing.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was shocked to find an actual Gale episode of Dennis the Menace on TV on some obscure TV station I had never heard of in the early hours of this morning! :lucywow: It is the first time I have ever seen a Gale-era episode of Dennis on actual TV. Thanks, Insomnia! :HALKING:

I was shocked to find an actual Gale episode of Dennis the Menace on TV on some obscure TV station I had never heard of in the early hours of this morning! :lucywow: It is the first time I have ever seen a Gale-era episode of Dennis on actual TV. Thanks, Insomnia! :HALKING:

OMG, you have been so deprived, saw that show every week when i was your age and used to love the show to bits. Thought Gale was much more likeable than the first Mr Wilson, Mr Kearns was it?

I wonder if your station has any association to AntennaTV which is showing "Dennis The Menace" in the afternoon, Mon-Fri.

I wonder if your station has any association to AntennaTV which is showing "Dennis The Menace" in the afternoon, Mon-Fri.

I don't know it is related, but it aired on some station up here called Teletoon Retro but had a "CW" logo in the corner. Maybe they switched over to a CW feed overnight...

I don't know it is related, but it aired on some station up here called Teletoon Retro but had a "CW" logo in the corner. Maybe they switched over to a CW feed overnight...

Isn't that annoying about some stations changing around all the time, that means if you cherry picked some channels for yourself, you end up with totally different ones within a year. I might get Videotron again for the living room when Bogdan comes back home and works out of the office which has the main tv, so i'll need another supplier for the living room set which is now only used to view movies or tv shows.

AntennaTV is an extension of my CW affiliate here, so maybe this is the Canadian version?

One can only hope, or perhaps this was a test on converting the station to the Canadian version. I don't think it is truly related to AntennaTV -- at least not yet -- because this station plays only the old Hanna Barbera cartoons, and other cartoons from the 70s through the 90s ranging from the late 80s repackaging of the Looney Toons cartoons to Inspector Gadget. I don't see any other "live action" sitcoms on their schedule for the forseeable future.

One can only hope, or perhaps this was a test on converting the station to the Canadian version. I don't think it is truly related to AntennaTV -- at least not yet -- because this station plays only the old Hanna Barbera cartoons, and other cartoons from the 70s through the 90s ranging from the late 80s repackaging of the Looney Toons cartoons to Inspector Gadget. I don't see any other "live action" sitcoms on their schedule for the forseeable future.

Sounds like our "BOOM" channel which, unless I'm mistaken, is sort of a "spinoff" channel of Cartoon Network, not unlike TVLand which was begat from Nick at Nite. :D

We did have Dennis the Menace here in the UK during the late 80s/early 90s, where it was slightly retitled as "Dennis" possibly owing to Dennis the Menace still being a popular comic strip and thereby avoiding payment.

Other US series retitled for UK TV:-

Top Cat orignally aired as Boss Cat (a "Boss Cat" title card appeared on screen). Top Cat was a then the name of a current Cat food product.

The Phil Silvers Show was always billed in the Radio times as Sgt Bilko (or just Bilko) (though i'm sure some UK newspapers billed it as The Phil Silvers Show)

Nobody's Perfect was screened as Hart of the Yard (a rather enjoyable Clouseau-esque sitcom with Ron Moody around 1979)

Quinn Martin's Tales of the unexpected aired as Twist in the Tale (again, with a new on screen title card) to avoid confusion with ITV's half hour Tales of the Unexpected

Thriller (the Boris Karloff series) - a few episodes aired in the early 1980s but was billed as Boris Karloff Presents (the 1970s ITC series Thriller was being re run around the same time and may have confused some people)

We did have Dennis the Menace here in the UK during the late 80s/early 90s, where it was slightly retitled as "Dennis" possibly owing to Dennis the Menace still being a popular comic strip and thereby avoiding payment.

Other US series retitled for UK TV:-

Top Cat orignally aired as Boss Cat (a "Boss Cat" title card appeared on screen). Top Cat was a then the name of a current Cat food product.

The Phil Silvers Show was always billed in the Radio times as Sgt Bilko (or just Bilko) (though i'm sure some UK newspapers billed it as The Phil Silvers Show)

Nobody's Perfect was screened as Hart of the Yard (a rather enjoyable Clouseau-esque sitcom with Ron Moody around 1979)

Quinn Martin's Tales of the unexpected aired as Twist in the Tale (again, with a new on screen title card) to avoid confusion with ITV's half hour Tales of the Unexpected

Thriller (the Boris Karloff series) - a few episodes aired in the early 1980s but was billed as Boris Karloff Presents (the 1970s ITC series Thriller was being re run around the same time and may have confused some people)

Top Cat was a real favorite of mine growing up, wish i could see that one again somewhere.

Top Cat was a real favorite of mine growing up, wish i could see that one again somewhere.

If you get Boom, the Cartoon Network "spinoff" channel, it airs on that twice a day, seven days a week. :D

Or, if you'd rather own it:

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Cat-Complete-Allen-Jenkins/dp/B0002ZMHW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313475891&sr=8-1

61ivbYplF-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you get Boom, the Cartoon Network "spinoff" channel, it airs on that twice a day, seven days a week. :D

Or, if you'd rather own it:

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Cat-Complete-Allen-Jenkins/dp/B0002ZMHW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313475891&sr=8-1

61ivbYplF-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dun't get BOOM, but i do get the cartoon network, have never watched anything on it though and that boxed set i had in my grubby little hands one time but refused to spend that kind of money on something i only want to watch one time for old times sake, LOL!

Dun't get BOOM, but i do get the cartoon network, have never watched anything on it though and that boxed set i had in my grubby little hands one time but refused to spend that kind of money on something i only want to watch one time for old times sake, LOL!

Yeah, I know but some of the "better ones" I've had to add to my never ending collection; i.e. Jonny Quest, Flintstones, The Jetsons, etc. Plus, they mostly can be had for about half (about $20) what they cost compared to when they first came out ($45 - $50). ;)

Yeah, I know but some of the "better ones" I've had to add to my never ending collection; i.e. Jonny Quest, Flintstones, The Jetsons, etc. Plus, they mostly can be had for about half (about $20) what they cost compared to when they first came out ($45 - $50). ;)

I've gone totally the other way, instead of adding, i'm getting rid of some things i wonder why i ever bought or recorded in the first place, giving them to Bogdan so they'll still be in the house but technically no longer mine as i just have too many of those dvds and they are starting to take up too much room. I wouldn't mind seeing The Jetsons or The Flinstones but i will not be buying them though.

Top Cat was very Bilkoesque, but I still love The Flintstones (very Honeymooners-esque)

So true, both were terrific cartoon shows. I think my other fave back then was Mighty Mouse and then there was Bugs Bunny et al, Yogi Bear and Booboo and Rocky and Bullwinkle, there were so many.

Archived