ILL "Superstar Special" (Superman/Holden) on DVD October 4

Brock

As per TVShowsonDVD.com:

Back in May of last year, CBS aired colorized versions of the I Love Lucy episodes "L.A. at Last" (with William Holden), and "Lucy and Superman" (the latter with special guest star George Reeves from The Adventures of Superman). This "Superstar Special" broadcast was so popular that CBS went back and did it again this past May (2016), airing "Lucy Visits Grauman's" and "Lucy and John Wayne" for the second one. Besides these colorized I Love Lucy episodes, there have also been colorized episodes of Lucy each Christmas for 2013, 2014, and 2015: "The I Love Lucy Christmas Special" each year, plus each year a different second episode: "Lucy's Italian Movie," "Job Switching," and "Lucy Does a TV Commercial."

Now CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution have announced the October 4th DVD release of I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1. This 45-minute disc comes with "L.A. at Last," and "Lucy and Superman," and both of these episodes will come in both the original black & white and the new colorized versions ("Colorized For Kids Of All Ages"). These will be in their original broadcast length (the studio informs retailers that this will have "footage not available on the CBS broadcast"), and an audio commentary by Doris Singleton (Caroline Appleby), Keith Thibodeaux (Little Ricky), and Steve Kay (Stevie Appleby).

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Love-Lucy-Superstar-Special-1/22509

ILoveLucy_SuperstarSpecialNo1.jpg

• Like 1

Cool as this is....good ole' greedy CBS!!! They've done 8 total colorized eps out of 180 (only 172 to go!!!) -- yes, I'm counting the Christmas episode since that's what started this and they've finally colorized the episode in its entirety -- so all 8 plus each 45 minute hour-long special COULD have fit on one DVD (nice they threw us "purists" a bone and are including the original B&W "versions" too, but given how many times they've already been released, not really necessary), but nooooooooo they have to relea$e ju$t two at a time and make another cottage indu$try out of it!! :blink:

If we were smart, we'd wait for the inevitable Blu-ray that WILL contain all the colorized eps since you KNOW they're eventually going to do them all anyway!! :vanda:

So I'm not good at math but let's see, at this rate, about 3 episodes a year produced X 172...Hey kids we only have about 57 years and some months more to go to get the ENTIRE series out "in color"!  :lucyhorror:

But seriously folks....I think the highlight and most compelling reason to get this is to hear the "bonus" audio commentary by Doris Singleton et. al. -- pretty cool but curious when it was recorded and what it was originally intended for as Doris has been gone for quite some time and I doubt these packages had even been thought of then. Hmmmmm. :fabrary:

Can't wait! :HALKING:

But seriously folks....I think the highlight and most compelling reason to get this is to hear the "bonus" audio commentary by Doris Singleton et. al. -- pretty cool but curious when it was recorded and what it was originally intended for as Doris has been gone for quite some time and I doubt these packages had even been thought of then. Hmmmmm. :fabrary:

Can't wait! :HALKING:

The commentary with Doris Singleton, Keith Thibodeaux, and Steven Kay was on the original DVD release of the sixth season.

• Like 1

For those inclined to purchase this, you may also be interested in this recently announced release (no, it may not be Lucy, but it is related in that the same folks produced it, it's in the CBS family, it aired in "tandem" with the annual Lucy Christmas Special, etc. etc.): 

AndyGriffithShow_ColorizedChristmasSpeci

Back about a month ago, we reported that on October 4th, CBS/Paramount will release The Andy Griffith Show - The Colorized Christmas Special on DVD. At the time we had package art (seen above) and a projected price (we thought $16.99 SRP at the time, but now we've learned it will actually be a little less, at $14.99 SRP), but we didn't have any further details about the title...most importantly, we didn't know the contents. Since then the studio has filled us in! Here's what they say:

• Bring the heartwarming joy of Mayberry into your home with The Andy Griffith Show Christmas Special, as broadcast on CBS (12/25/2015). Also included are unedited versions of the two episodes contained therein, both colorized and in black and white:
    • THE CHRISTMAS STORY (Original air date: 12/19/60): Local 'Scrooge' Ben Weaver manages to have harmless bootlegger Sam Muggins thrown into jail on Christmas, but the good folk of Mayberry have a unique plan of their own.

• THE PICKLE STORY (Original air date: 12/18/61): Aunt Bee decides to enter her homemade pickles in the annual county fair contest - only they taste like "kerosene cucumbers"!
    This DVD comes with both the colorized and black & white versions of the classic episodes "Christmas Story" and "The Pickle Story," in their original broadcast length, with footage not included on the 2015 CBS broadcast!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Andy-Griffith-Colorized-Christmas-Special/22553

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01JJUC9CS/tvshowsondvdcom

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone else who has this check something for me? Pop it into a computer's DVD-ROM drive and let me know if your copy is on a single layer (4 Gigabyte) or dual layer (8 Gigabyte) disc. Mine is single layer, though the back of the box says dual layer, which might be a misprint.

I tried to Brian but my sole working computer now is a crappy aging laptop who's DVD drive is not working well so I couldn't get the disc to be recognized, let alone play; tried it also in my BD player but even with all the symbols and data etc. it shows with the display function, single or dual layer doesn't (appear) to be one of them!S

Wondering now why this is of interest; if you hadn't asked this question I never would have even noticed the disclaimer on the grid, the typeface is so small! 

It doesn't make sense to me though that these would be dual-layer, aren't they usually used over single-layer discs because more data space is needed? Given the short running time i.e. space needed of this material, I'd think a single-layer disc would be not only more economical but perfectly sufficient.

Here's hoping we could get to the bottom of this!