Lucy and Dick Van Dyke

How come Miss Ball never appeared on an episode of Dick Van Dyke? Or vice-versa? They taped that show at Desilu. Did they do any work together? 

BTW I just watched the colorized D van D episode. It was really funny! I never got into that show but I have seen episodes here and there, like the one where Rob stays awake for 100 hours. 

I wonder what would happen if Dick guest starred on The Lucy Show or Lucy guest starred on his show. 

Is Danfield supposed to be in Connecticut or upstate NY? 

Cool I'll have to find it on Youtube. Funny how they filmed The Lucy Show in color from 1963-1968 but they didn't use color film for Dick Van Dyke or Mister Ed or any other series taped at Desilu in the early to mid 60s. I wish I could've seen Miss Ball's reaction when she rented a soundstage for the Mister Ed people. A sitcom about a talking horse. lol. But was she the head of Desilu in 1961? 

Is Danfield supposed to be in Connecticut or upstate NY? 

Cool I'll have to find it on Youtube. Funny how they filmed The Lucy Show in color from 1963-1968 but they didn't use color film for Dick Van Dyke or Mister Ed or any other series taped at Desilu in the early to mid 60s. I wish I could've seen Miss Ball's reaction when she rented a soundstage for the Mister Ed people. A sitcom about a talking horse. lol. But was she the head of Desilu in 1961? 

Filmed! Taped is *not* the same thing! :blink:

Instead of just half way, if Lucy had ridden the electric mattress all the way to New Rochelle, she may have ended up at the Petries.   I don't know my greater New York City geography, but Danfield was close enough to NYC that Lucy proposed that she and Viv go into Time Square for New Year Eve so it must have been just a train ride away. 

Too bad there wasn't some crossover amongst the Desilu shows: Dick Van Dyke, Danny Thomas, Andy Griffith and The Lucy Show. 

Lucy appeared on Dick's variety series Van Dyke and Company.

It would have been easy to do a Lucy Show/Dick Van Dyke Show crossover since the Petries lived in New Rochelle, a town away from the fictional Danfield.

• Like 2

Danfield was supposed to be in Westchester County, New York.

The only episode where I remember there being any clue as to the state where Danfield is located was "Lucy's Barbershop Quartet" where they travel to Albany for the state championship.  So it's obvious from that episode that Danfield is in New York.  But many sources cite Connecticut as being the location, and I assume it's because of the apparent inspiration for the name Danfield.  The link below is to a map of western Connecticut.  Notice the real Connecticut towns Danbury and Ridgefield.  Remember in The Lucy Show, in a number of episodes they mention (and in "Lucy Drives a Dump Truck" they visit) the neighboring town of Ridgebury.  Danfield and Ridgebury are obviously each a blend, or portmanteau, of the actual towns of Danbury and Ridgefield.  So it makes sense that people would assume the fictional towns are in Connecticut.  But notice also on the map that Danbury and Ridgefield are on the very western edge of Connecticut, next to the border with Westchester County, NY.  But do they ever actually say on the show that Danfield is in Westchester County?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Danbury,+CT/@41.3273448,-73.8006131,10z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89dd55842d1398ef:0xa1c18e0b0453d3ed!8m2!3d41.394817!4d-73.4540111

On the subject of Dick Van Dyke's 1970s variety show, I've been a little obsessed lately with Andy Kaufman.  I discovered that he was a regular on Van Dyke and Company, including the episode that guest-starred Lucille Ball.  Kaufman also appeared in the same Cher special that featured Lucille Ball.  I haven't been able to discern whether Lucy and Kaufman actually performed together on either of those shows.  Does anyone know if they did?  So many people didn't get Kaufman, who basically made a career out of pranking his own audience.  If Lucy ever encountered him, I suspect she'd be one of those who didn't get him.  But I would love to know.

Yes it is. I had to clip this a bit for IG length limits. When Andy comes in and interrupts Lucy and Andy, Andy talks to him for a bit. This is the only thing Lucy says before leaving and Andy does his act. This is the only part of the show he was on so no acting with Lucy.

Oh well, at least there's a moment together.  It's interesting to see.  I would love to have been a fly on the wall when they were rehearsing.  I wonder if Lucy ever met Tony Clifton?  :HALKING:

Instead of just half way, if Lucy had ridden the electric mattress all the way to New Rochelle, she may have ended up at the Petries. I don't know my greater New York City geography, but Danfield was close enough to NYC that Lucy proposed that she and Viv go into Time Square for New Year Eve so it must have been just a train ride away.

Danfield would be about 20-25 miles from Manhattan. It would be a short train ride away as evidenced in No More Double Dates. There are plenty of episodes in which the characters go into the city.

One episode in which "Danfield, New York" is specifically stated is Lucy Visits the White House.

• Like 1

Danfield would be about 20-25 miles from Manhattan. It would be a short train ride away as evidenced in No More Double Dates. There are plenty of episodes in which the characters go into the city.

One episode in which "Danfield, New York" is specifically stated is Lucy Visits the White House.

Yes exactly, and the one when she worked briefly in the city as a secretary-turned-kangaroo for John McGiver always comes to mind for me...

Too bad there wasn't some crossover amongst the Desilu shows: Dick Van Dyke, Danny Thomas, Andy Griffith and The Lucy Show. 

Actually there were some crossovers among some of those shows. I actually covered this in a previous thread (titled, Lucy Ricardo, Lucy Carmichael, & Lucy Carter exist in the same universe ... thanks partially to the Williams Family!). Look:

http://www.lucylounge.com/index.php?/topic/1324-lucy-ricardo-lucy-carmichael-lucy-carter-exist-in-the-same-universe-thanks-partially-to-the-williams-family/