What is the last Lucille Ball movie you've watched.

A Girl, A Guy, and A Gob was on TCM when I woke up this morning. This is a very good Lucille Ball film. She was busy courting a sailor and her shy boss.

Tonight on TCM: Too Many Girls

As usual, i remind YOU and then forget to record it myself, i copied SNL instead, moron that i am! :lucydisgust:

Me too, all this talk about it, i just had to see it again!

1940's "You Can't Fool the Wife" a trifle that runs a little over an hour. Nothing wrong with Lucy's performance, but it's not a stand-out either. No inkling of what her future would bring. In it she has a dual role as ordinary housewife and a Spanish movie star along the lines of Lupe Valez. Her Spanish accent sometimes sounds like French with "zee" instead of "the". In a lot of these movies you can see two or three (or more) moments of greatness and this movie has one, which I THINK is a flub they left in.

"Mercedes" (the spanish star) is leaving a party in a huff, gets her coat from the hat-check girl and runs into a door that won't open, recovers then asks the girl "Which is zee way out?" and FLOUNCES out of the shot.

The reason i think this might be a flub is that there's a little something in her body language that reveals that she wasn't expecting this to be a prop door; and she does one of those "I'm trying to recover my dignity" walks as she leaves. It's quick and small, but her best moment in the movie.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please comment.

1940's "You Can't Fool the Wife" a trifle that runs a little over an hour. Nothing wrong with Lucy's performance, but it's not a stand-out either. No inkling of what her future would bring. In it she has a dual role as ordinary housewife and a Spanish movie star along the lines of Lupe Valez. Her Spanish accent sometimes sounds like French with "zee" instead of "the". In a lot of these movies you can see two or three (or more) moments of greatness and this movie has one, which I THINK is a flub they left in.

"Mercedes" (the spanish star) is leaving a party in a huff, gets her coat from the hat-check girl and runs into a door that won't open, recovers then asks the girl "Which is zee way out?" and FLOUNCES out of the shot.

The reason i think this might be a flub is that there's a little something in her body language that reveals that she wasn't expecting this to be a prop door; and she does one of those "I'm trying to recover my dignity" walks as she leaves. It's quick and small, but her best moment in the movie.

Lucy also has a great moment where she runs right into a door in her next movie, "Dance, Girl, Dance." The people at RKO must have really liked that. I haven't seen "You Can't Fool Your Wife" in a while. I'll have to watch it again because I don't remember that.

• 2 weeks later...

I know exactly what your talking about and I LOVE THAT MOMENT!!!! AND speaking of losing an accent.. what is the name of the movie with Ginger Rodgers and Ginger goes on a bus to a vacation spot.. and there she meets Lucy and I think Eve Arden.. anyhow.. Lucy's New York Accent comes and goes.. do u guys know which one I'm thinking about??? Saw it years ago on TCM.. and can't remember the title.. just remember the accent coming and going!

I know exactly what your talking about and I LOVE THAT MOMENT!!!! AND speaking of losing an accent.. what is the name of the movie with Ginger Rodgers and Ginger goes on a bus to a vacation spot.. and there she meets Lucy and I think Eve Arden.. anyhow.. Lucy's New York Accent comes and goes.. do u guys know which one I'm thinking about??? Saw it years ago on TCM.. and can't remember the title.. just remember the accent coming and going!

Is it Having Wonderful Time?

"Having Wonderful Time." I love Lucy's accent in the film. It's practically non-existant towards the end of the film. :lol:

I just watched "Critic's Choice" for the first time in quite a while. It's such a flawed film and Lucy isn't really given all that much to do, but this is the most I've ever enjoyed it. I also never noticed how great the title sequence is. It's got a great score too.

I went with a double dose of drama, Lured and Dark Corner.

I watched "Lured" too for the first time in ages and really enjoyed seeing her in a different role and yet... perhaps my favorite scene was "Lucy-ish" in that it was when she and her "bodyguard" guy from Scotland Yard got in the back of the cab and exchanged guns: watch her 'spressions in that, classic "Lucy" pre-"Lucy"! :D

I watched "Lured" too for the first time in ages and really enjoyed seeing her in a different role and yet... perhaps my favorite scene was "Lucy-ish" in that it was when she and her "bodyguard" guy from Scotland Yard got in the back of the cab and exchanged guns: watch her 'spressions in that, classic "Lucy" pre-"Lucy"! :D

Yeah, my fave Lucy Ricardo flashback was in Miss Grant Takes Richmond when she's typing in Charles Lane's CLASS and she smirks like she did later on ILL. Playing with the typewriter i mean.

I watched "Panama Lady","The Long, Long Trailer"- Lucy and Desi singing together while driving through Yosemite is an iconic scene in the film, "The Fuller Brush Girl", "Stage Door"- one of the essential films for TCM, "Without Love"- love her scenes with Kate and Spencer, "Dance, Girl Dance"- must put this one in the DVD player in the near future, and "Best Foot Forward". I was swishing back and forth from Hallmark to TCM. What a blockbuster of Lucy on T.V!!!

I watched "Panama Lady","The Long, Long Trailer"- Lucy and Desi singing together while driving through Yosemite is an iconic scene in the film, "The Fuller Brush Girl", "Stage Door"- one of the essential films for TCM, "Without Love"- love her scenes with Kate and Spencer, "Dance, Girl Dance"- must put this one in the DVD player in the near future, and "Best Foot Forward". I was swishing back and forth from Hallmark to TCM. What a blockbuster of Lucy on T.V!!!

Yeah, not easy for Lucy, actually outshining Katie Hepburn in Without Love, Kate comes off so cartoonish reciting her long monologues with the emotions running the gamot of A to B as one critic once said about her.

Dorothy Parker said that, about a different performance however. I think Kate was too cocky in Without Love. She'd been doing it on stage for a while and I think she sort of assumed she'd carry it off as beautifully as she did The Philadelphia Story when it came time to film. Regardless, love seeing Lucy work with those two greats.

Dorothy Parker said that, about a different performance however. I think Kate was too cocky in Without Love. She'd been doing it on stage for a while and I think she sort of assumed she'd carry it off as beautifully as she did The Philadelphia Story when it came time to film. Regardless, love seeing Lucy work with those two greats.

I think Parker made the comment about all of her work up to the point she said it. And yes, i agree, it was nice seeing Lucy work in movies with superstars of the genre.

You're right about it being a flawed film. They couldn't decide whether to make it high-brow or a Bob Hope comedy and the two don't mix well. The main problems overall are Bob's scenes without Lucy. Hope's pretty good, but I remember one review putting it succinctly: "Lucy outshines Hope". And she does despite the fact that Angela Ballantine could have been played by any number of lesser actresses. I guess Lucy really liked working with Hope because she's given little to do, but makes the most of it. She creates a well-rounded and appealing character, really showing her strengths as an actress. I'm really impressed by the quiet dignity in which she carries herself. It's such a departure from Lucy that its failure made her gun-shy about straying too far from the Lucy people wanted to see. I find her so fascinating that I can overlook the problems with the film.

Those 60s comedies are only a slight cut above standard sitcoms of the day and instead of a laugh track (which they might as well use) the score has funny 'reaction music' where the laugh would be.

And by the way: we're supposed to be sympathetic to Parker's moral dilemma about reviewing his wife's play to keep his self-respect. But Angela should have left him! He shows up mid-show completely bombed (in an inexcusably broad comedy scene*), doesn't watch any of the play and somehow incredulously sobers up enough to write the wretched review he'd been dreaming up all along (Angela was right!)--without giving the play or his wife a chance. What an a-hole!

And I love Jesse Royce Landis.

*James Parrish, who is spot-on with his succinct and well-worded summarizations, put it best: "By opting for low comedy at this point, director Don Weis sunk the film for good."

"Having Wonderful Time." I love Lucy's accent in the film. It's practically non-existant towards the end of the film. :lol:

I just watched "Critic's Choice" for the first time in quite a while. It's such a flawed film and Lucy isn't really given all that much to do, but this is the most I've ever enjoyed it. I also never noticed how great the title sequence is. It's got a great score too.

You're right about it being a flawed film. They couldn't decide whether to make it high-brow or a Bob Hope comedy and the two don't mix well. The main problems overall are Bob's scenes without Lucy. Hope's pretty good, but I remember one review putting it succinctly: Lucy outshines Hope. And she does despite the fact that Angela Ballantine could have been played by any number of actresses. I guess Lucy really liked working with Hope because she's given little to do, but makes the most of it. She creates a well-rounded and appealing character, really showing her strengths as an actress. I'm really impressed by the quiet dignity in which she carries herself. It's such a departure from Lucy that its failure made her gun-shy about straying too far from the Lucy people wanted to see. I find her so fascinating that I can overlook the problems with the film.

Those 60s comedies are only a slight cut above standard sitcoms of the day and instead of a laugh track (which they might as well use) the score has funny 'reaction music' where the laugh would be.

And by the way: we're supposed to be sympathetic to Parker's moral dilemma about reviewing his wife's play to keep his self-respect. But Angela should have left him! He shows up mid-show completely bombed (in an inexcusable low comedy scene), doesn't watch any of the play and somehow sobers up enough to write the wretched review he'd been dreaming up all along (Angela was right!)--without giving the play or his wife a chance. What an a-hole!

And I love Jesse Royce Landis.

I too love this movie, Lucy looks so friggin sensational, so sophisticated and elegant and sexy as hell. Yes, Lucy's part is so small and giving comedy to Hope when she's there is just looney. I especially loved the scene where PARKER says of Katie Hepburn's acting that she ran the gamut of emotions from a to b, LOL!

Once time a co-worker of my husband's came up to him at work and asked if I had seen this movie about a big, big trailer that had Lucy in in. So now I have The Long, Long Trailer sitting on the Tivo from this weekend (even though I have it on DVD and have seen it dozens of times). For the past couple of days all Charlie keeps singing is

Big Big Trailer, to the tune of the Sanford and Sons theme song.