Lucie to Appear on I Love Lucy-themed Will & Grace Episode!

HarryCarter

12 minutes ago, Neil said:

"this is the first time I Love Lucy episode has been recreated for TV!"

Didn't Kate and Allie do one? Seems to me there was another too. 

Kate and Allie, In Living Color, Muppet Babies, That 70s Show, Ellen all had recreations of sketches or parodies on the show. I know I'm leaving out a whole bunch more.

3 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

According to Will & Grace creator Max Mutchnick, this is the third-to-last episode. He says it was the idea of former NBC entertainment head Bob Greenblatt. Greenblatt is a friend and neighbor of Lucie’s and was responsible for the They’re Playing Our Song anniversary concert earlier this year. 

That's a neat little story. Glad everything worked out. 

12 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

I'm wondering if NBC can even do line for line episode recreation given that CBS owns the show and has been a prick to all the Lucy impersonators about using actual lines and plots. 

Oh, is that why the likes of Suzanne LaRusch and Diane Vincent tend to do Lucy-esque material rather than actual bits? I remember when Suzanne was on "The Next Best Thing" it was Fresher Farm's Fermented Fennel instead of Vitametavegamin.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Oh, is that why the likes of Suzanne LaRusch and Diane Vincent tend to do Lucy-esque material rather than actual bits? I remember when Suzanne was on "The Next Best Thing" it was Fresher Farm's Fermented Fennel instead of Vitametavegamin.

Yes. Brock can correct me if I'm wrong but I think in the earlier days of Diane and Rhonda's Jamestown shows they had more leeway with reenacting famous scenes but something changed with CBS and they can't even get close to the sketches or lines. So they do a theme every year for an all original show. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Yes. Brock can correct me if I'm wrong but I think in the earlier days of Diane and Rhonda's Jamestown shows they had more leeway with reenacting famous scenes but something changed with CBS and they can't even get close to the sketches or lines. So they do a theme every year for an all original show. 

That's correct. CBS has been clamping down harder in the last 10 years or so -- which baffles me because one would think they would endorse all efforts to keep one of their most reliable cash cows relevant and engaging with audiences.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On November 25, 2019 at 1:39 PM, Luvsbway said:

Kate and Allie, In Living Color, Muppet Babies, That 70s Show, Ellen all had recreations of sketches or parodies on the show. I know I'm leaving out a whole bunch more.

MADtv did several over the years. They would do classic TV shows set in then-contemporary times (i.e. there was an MTM skit where Ted Baxter ended up on assignment in Iraq), and one of the Lucy parodies I remember seeing was about the Ricardos getting a computer with the internet. Lucy goes against Ricky's rules and she and Ethel start surfing the web without his supervision. Next thing you know, Little Ricky's been kidnapped by somebody called "The Internet Pedophile" or something like that. It turns into a hostage situation and I'm pretty sure Lucy and Ethel end up shooting the guy to death. MADtv certainly never worried about pushing the envelope.

In Living Color also had a recurring sketch that I think was called "I Love Laquita". Jim Carrey played Ricky and I remember him absolutely nailing the Desi Laugh.

We can't forget two shows that paid tribute without parodying- Golden Girls and Designing Women. 

Also, in the Frasier episode "An Affair to Forget", they pretty obviously lift the "Paris at Last" translation scene.

9 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

MADtv did several over the years. They would do classic TV shows set in then-contemporary times (i.e. there was an MTM skit where Ted Baxter ended up on assignment in Iraq), and one of the Lucy parodies I remember seeing was about the Ricardos getting a computer with the internet. Lucy goes against Ricky's rules and she and Ethel start surfing the web without his supervision. Next thing you know, Little Ricky's been kidnapped by somebody called "The Internet Pedophile" or something like that. It turns into a hostage situation and I'm pretty sure Lucy and Ethel end up shooting the guy to death. MADtv certainly never worried about pushing the envelope.

My favorite of the MADtv parodies was when Lucy and Ethel cut crack rocks in order to earn money for new dresses. They did so on a conveyor belt in their living room. So silly yet still funny.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

On the one hand, it’s awesome that a show is doing such a wholehearted tribute to Lucy. On the other, a full-fledged gimmick like this seems like the sign of a show that’s run out of ideas. If I were a Will & Grace viewer and not a Lucy fan, I’d probably be disappointed that in the show’s final weeks, they devoted an episode to characters other than the ones on the show. Maybe I’m just blowing smoke; I’ll be watching no matter what.

• Like 1