Jane Russell Has Died

HarryCarter

:(

Jane Russell, star of '40s and '50s films, dies

(AP) – 16 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Jane Russell, the brunette who was discovered by Howard Hughes and went on to become one of the biggest stars of the 1940s and '50s, has died at age 89.

Russell's daughter-in-law Etta Waterfield says the actress died Monday at her home in Santa Maria of a respiratory-related illness.

Hughes, the eccentric billionaire, cast Russell in his sexy, and controversial, 1941 Western "The Outlaw," turning her into an overnight star.

She would go on to appear opposite such leading men as Frank Sinatra and Bob Hope, as well as fellow actress Marilyn Monroe.

Although her film career slowed in the 1960s, Russell remained active throughout her life.

Until her health began to decline a few weeks ago, Waterfield said she remained active singing and working for various causes.

My link

tumblr_lgu75dqj3q1qgrjp7o1_500.jpg

I had the great luck of working with Jane and getting to know her when she published her autobio My Path And My Detours. with the publishing house Franklin Watts. I spent time with her, helped her pick out clothes for interviews, and even smoked a cig with her in her limo. She was bawdy, very religious, and even though she'd sworn off the hooch, we were always a bit suspect as to what was in her travel cups. :lucysmirk: R.I.P. Jane!

Just heard the very sad news. I too, had the pleasure of being in her lovely company when she was interviewed for a documentary.

A friend was very close to Jane and shared a lot of wonderful stories. She was always on the go.

If possible, I will try to upload a little video of her answering questions, a few months back at a local appearance.

She was one dynamite lady, there's no doubt!

RIP, Jane. You were one of the greats!!

R.I.P. Jane. :( What a dame!

"Dame" is a word that needs to return into polite society. It's so Damon Runyon. I've always said "There are ladies, and then there are BROADS." I've always liked BROADS as my friends. But "dames"...I have to figure out what constitutes a "dame". I have a feeling it's halfway between a lady and a broad. Or maybe a third of the way among a doll, a lady and a broad. :lucythrill:

:(

Jane Russell, star of '40s and '50s films, dies

(AP) – 16 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Jane Russell, the brunette who was discovered by Howard Hughes and went on to become one of the biggest stars of the 1940s and '50s, has died at age 89.

Russell's daughter-in-law Etta Waterfield says the actress died Monday at her home in Santa Maria of a respiratory-related illness.

Hughes, the eccentric billionaire, cast Russell in his sexy, and controversial, 1941 Western "The Outlaw," turning her into an overnight star.

She would go on to appear opposite such leading men as Frank Sinatra and Bob Hope, as well as fellow actress Marilyn Monroe.

Although her film career slowed in the 1960s, Russell remained active throughout her life.

Until her health began to decline a few weeks ago, Waterfield said she remained active singing and working for various causes.

My link

Who is the gal between Lucille and Marilyn....???? Love, JK

Betty Grable. :)

Is that a POSITIVE I.D.; or a guess? I admired greatly Betty Grable when I was a youngster (a lllllllloooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggg) time ago, by the way; but, that certainly doesn't look anything like Betty Grable from my memory; and that mouth!!!! - why was that picture even published?

Thanks........anyone???? Love, JK

Is that a POSITIVE I.D.; or a guess? I admired greatly Betty Grable when I was a youngster (a lllllllloooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggg) time ago, by the way; but, that certainly doesn't look anything like Betty Grable from my memory; and that mouth!!!! - why was that picture even published?

Thanks........anyone???? Love, JK

Yes, it is 100% Betty Grable. For the record, it was Walter Winchell's birthday at Ciro's nightclub on May 13, 1953.

Here’s 2 more shots from that evening.

The lineup is in back is Darryl Zanuck, Betty Grable, Marilyn Monroe, Walter Wincehll & Jane Russell. Seated in front is Lucy, Jimmy McHugh (composer) and famed columnist/dragon, Louella Parsons.

monroe96-2009060880054-Win11-original-1.jpg

Win20.jpg

Yes, it is 100% Betty Grable. For the record, it was Walter Winchell's birthday at Ciro's nightclub on May 13, 1953.

Here’s 2 more shots from that evening.

The lineup is in back is Darryl Zanuck, Betty Grable, Marilyn Monroe, Walter Wincehll & Jane Russell. Seated in front is Lucy, Jimmy McHugh (composer) and famed columnist/dragon, Louella Parsons.

monroe96-2009060880054-Win11-original-1.jpg

Win20.jpg

thanks, rickee, now I can see that beautiful face; you are the best!!!

Love, JK

Archived