Here's Lucy: Lucy's Big Break

• 2 weeks later...

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tog2IJvEeeM

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeB0La2_oHs

"I was skiing down this particularly steep slope, see? It's the one the Olympic team uses to practice and I was going like the wind when suddenly I had to swerve to avoid a little child that had fallen..."

I love how there's a "spin" transition from when she's skiing to having a broken leg. And does anyone know WHEN in 1972 she broke her leg--that way I can have an idea of when they started taping the 5th season.

Lucy broke her leg on January 6, 1972. This episode was filmed in the middle of March.

Robert Young was originally approached to play the doctor. He turned it down, saying that he would love to work with Lucy, but he didn't want to spoof his Marcus Welby character. Lloyd Bridges was then cast.

Lucy broke her leg on January 6, 1972. This episode was filmed in the middle of March.

Robert Young was originally approached to play the doctor. He turned it down, saying that he would love to work with Lucy, but he didn't want to spoof his Marcus Welby character. Lloyd Bridges was then cast.

...and excellent casting, as it turned out. B&M were in top form with this ep, in which Lucy started wearing the "fuller" looking wig, which I much prefer on her than her beloved 60's look. To each his own! ;)

How do you know this? Do you know the tape dates for all the other episodes?

And since Lucy broke her leg in January, they must have wrapped up production of Season 4 around Christmas since the last couple of episodes aired in February and her leg wasn't broken.

And I too love her wig in season 5-6!

How do you know this? Do you know the tape dates for all the other episodes?

And since Lucy broke her leg in January, they must have wrapped up production of Season 4 around Christmas since the last couple of episodes aired in February and her leg wasn't broken.

And I too love her wig in season 5-6!

There was quite a bit of news coverage at the time about how Lucy was returning to work for the first time after breaking her leg. I do not know the filming dates for all the episodes. I believe season four was completed at the beginning of November 1971.

There was quite a bit of news coverage at the time about how Lucy was returning to work for the first time after breaking her leg. I do not know the filming dates for all the episodes. I believe season four was completed at the beginning of November 1971.

I don't understand why Lucy ended her seasons so early and taped so many episodes in the spring-summer. This is evident because of the production order that the first several episodes are in. Most of them were taped before the season premiere. "Lucy Goes Hawaiian" was the episode taped before "Lucy The American Mother" which aired in October 1970--so "Hawaiian" must have been done in late summer/early fall despite being the season finale.

I don't understand why Lucy ended her seasons so early and taped so many episodes in the spring-summer. This is evident because of the production order that the first several episodes are in. Most of them were taped before the season premiere. "Lucy Goes Hawaiian" was the episode taped before "Lucy The American Mother" which aired in October 1970--so "Hawaiian" must have been done in late summer/early fall despite being the season finale.

Most shows ended their seasons around March at that time. They typically did 24 episodes a season like shows do today, but there really weren't reruns that stretched out the season until May like now.

Most shows ended their seasons around March at that time. They typically did 24 episodes a season like shows do today, but there really weren't reruns that stretched out the season until May like now.

Plus, I don't think they had production schedules like they do now: most shows nowadays that film with audiences seem to be on a "three on, one off" schedule, in other words, they work for three weeks, take a week off, come back for three more weeks, etc., etc. They for the most part don't start shooting until late July, sometimes August, so they're not far ahead -- sometimes perilously so, should something throw production off entirely -- from film date to broadcast air date. I think Lucy was just "old school" and was accustomed to having episodes "in the can" so that should something untoward happen, they wouldn't have to worry about not having any product to air. Plus...she was LUCY!! She could make whatever damned shooting schedule she wanted! marionstrong.gif

Ooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so that's why the Emmys aired in March back then, the season was already over but still fresh in people's minds, not like today where shows air year round and on so many channels that nobody can keep up to date.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so that's why the Emmys aired in March back then, the season was already over but still fresh in people's minds, not like today where shows air year round and on so many channels that nobody can keep up to date.

I just love how they taped Kiddie Parties Inc. on June 6th, 1963--25 years and 364 days to the day I was born! How fitting. (For those of you who can't figure it out my birthday is June 5th, 1989.)

It doesn't seem like a lot of episodes of HL were taped in front of an audience. I know most were but I just get that feeling--mainly from the lack of audience laughter from the bloopers.

And Thanks, HarryCarter--I now have an inkling of the months that this show was in production. Probably from March to November with their "summer vacation" being a few weeks in May/June.

I just love how they taped Kiddie Parties Inc. on June 6th, 1963--25 years and 364 days to the day I was born! How fitting. (For those of you who can't figure it out my birthday is June 5th, 1989.)

It doesn't seem like a lot of episodes of HL were taped in front of an audience. I know most were but I just get that feeling--mainly from the lack of audience laughter from the bloopers.

And Thanks, HarryCarter--I now have an inkling of the months that this show was in production. Probably from March to November with their "summer vacation" being a few weeks in May/June.

Nearly all of the Here's Lucy episodes were filmed in front of an audience - the exceptions would be "Lucy and the Great Airport Chase," "Lucy and the Airforce Academy" 1 & 2, "Lucy and the Indian Chief, "Lucy Runs the Rapids," "Lucy and Wayne Newton," "Lucy Goes Hawaiian" 1 & 2, "Ginger Rogers Comes to Tea," and "Lucy and Harry's Memoirs." (Am I leaving any out?)

Nearly all of the Here's Lucy episodes were filmed in front of an audience - the exceptions would be "Lucy and the Great Airport Chase," "Lucy and the Airforce Academy" 1 & 2, "Lucy and the Indian Chief, "Lucy Runs the Rapids," "Lucy and Wayne Newton," "Lucy Goes Hawaiian" 1 & 2, "Ginger Rogers Comes to Tea," and "Lucy and Harry's Memoirs." (Am I leaving any out?)

I certainly understand about the LOCATION shows but . . . Why on earth was Ginger's show NOT filmed in front of an audience???

I certainly understand about the LOCATION shows but . . . Why on earth was Ginger's show NOT filmed in front of an audience???

There was about to be a strike in Hollywood and they wanted to get the show done before it happened. They rehearsed and filmed the show in two days rather than the usual four.

There was about to be a strike in Hollywood and they wanted to get the show done before it happened. They rehearsed and filmed the show in two days rather than the usual four.

Oh yeah, forgot about that, and i also read lately that Ginger was a fill in for someone else who bailed, do you know who that famous actress was?

Oh yeah, forgot about that, and i also read lately that Ginger was a fill in for someone else who bailed, do you know who that famous actress was?

Ingrid Bergman was scheduled to do it first, but she dropped out, supposedly due to tax reasons. Bette Davis was then set to do it, but then demanded double the salary she was supposed to get. Lucille Ball Productions figured if they paid Bette $10,000 (instead of the usual $5,000), they would have to pay every future guest star the same amount. Bette was out and Lucy called up Ginger. They never told Ginger she was third choice.

Ingrid Bergman was scheduled to do it first, but she dropped out, supposedly due to tax reasons. Bette Davis was then set to do it, but then demanded double the salary she was supposed to get. Lucille Ball Productions figured if they paid Bette $10,000 (instead of the usual $5,000), they would have to pay every future guest star the same amount. Bette was out and Lucy called up Ginger. They never told Ginger she was third choice.

OMG, this story just gets better every time i hear it, 3rd choice huh, and an old RKO buddy of hers and even a distant relative and ends up doing this terrific show, boy that Davis sure could be demanding when it involved Lucy.

Your knowledge on anything/everything Lucy never ceases to amaze me HarryCarter! YOU should write a book! p.s - I agree Claude, that Bette certainly was demanding!

Your knowledge on anything/everything Lucy never ceases to amaze me HarryCarter! YOU should write a book! p.s - I agree Claude, that Bette certainly was demanding!

HE DID WRITE A BOOK, WE JUST HAVEN'T GOTTEN IT YET! Bette had pulled the same stunt on The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour, demanding billing equal to Lucy and Desi and a huge salary and all these other PERKS, so she injures herself and they replaced her with the actress who had originated all these great roles on Broadway that Davis got to do on film, Tallulah Bankhead!

...and excellent casting, as it turned out. B&M were in top form with this ep, in which Lucy started wearing the "fuller" looking wig, which I much prefer on her than her beloved 60's look. To each his own! ;)

"Big Break" is my favorite HL season opener, and that includes "Burtons". I always preferred the Lucy Ricardo-esque bun she wore in a few episodes to this fuller wig. To me it looked too much like a wig. I liked her natural look so much better--as revealed in the backstage footage (Jack Benny's Biography) and the home movies (skiing in Colorado). I don't think the over-teased wigs, extensive face and eye make-up and the Irma skull-cap pull were necessary and think she looked better without.

I don't think other shows filmed as far in advance like "Lucy". Unlike other series, here was never any doubt that the show would be picked up for the next season and for the full year. I don't know if "TLS" or "HL" produced fewer episodes than other series of the time, but they must have because "Lucy" was usually the first series to go into reruns. The summer following the first 3 seasons, "HL" was replaced by "TLS" reruns in the summer* which I thought was odd for a couple of reasons: TLS was also running on CBS in the morning; and a completely separate entity not owned by LBP. They seemed to always run the same batch but I don't think those were kept out of the morning rotation. There was one season of HL(the 5th, I think) that I seem to remember "HL" rerunning episodes from previous seasons* when the usual custom was to do reruns of the current season. I know the 6th season reran all of its episodes. I think the 4th did too, but not the others.* So there were many, many episodes of HL (and TLS)that had only ONE prime time showing.

*HC, BW, and/or other Senors Know-it-All: Am I right about this?

And here's a trivia question: There was one episode of TLS or HL that ran THREE times in the same season. (there may have been two, now that I think about it)

I disagree Neil, I think the shorter wigs looks more fake on her, she looked much better with the fuller wigs. After all, her natural hair was fuller and longer.

That I agree with too. I thought the wig in "Big Break" looked particularly un-wig like and actually wonder if it in fact could it possibly be her own hair?? In the scene where she pulls out the curlers and then brushes it, she doesn't seem particulary "gentle" or careful in how she does it, unlike other eps where I've noticed she's conscious she IS wearing one and tries to subtly make sure -- after it possibly going askew (am thinking in particular of a HL ep with Wally Cox for this!) to make sure it's still in place! ;)

Archived