Release of LUCY IN LONDON on DVD Is in Jeopardy

Sounds wonderful! I look forward to its pending release whenever that may be! :lucyhorror:

Speaking of which - eBay are selling quite a few (VHS) versions of it.

So, order a VHS copy and get it transferred to DVD then. It would be worth the time and trouble not to mention the cost, LOL!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But it would have been so much better with Lucy participating. I told you, MY dream would have been a ten part PBS mini series that focused in each part on certain sections of her multi faceted life. Her childhood, early work in the industry, Queen of the B's, radio and early television, unparalleled success of the greatest TV show of all time, Lucy after ILL, Lucy in the movies, the people around Lucy, Lucy in other settings of specials, guest shots, etc and finally Lucy in her later life. This just off the top of my head though as i forgot to include one part for her running DESILU. Just getting all the people together who were still alive and could have reminisced about her, as God knows she worked with almost everybody in the business. Oh and maybe another part about her being a woman and the advances she made for women running their own production companies or in her case her own studio.

OMG, Claudie boy, what a GREAT idea!! I wonder why no one thought to do such a project??? And she'd lend herself so well to a multi-part series/tribute/doc like that!!! Man, when you put your thinking cap on you really do alright! ;)

P.S. - I would swear somewhere in my mess I have Finding Lucy on DVD -- didn't PBS have it on their website at one point?? Maybe I'm confusing it with the American Masters one....I can't keep all this stuff straight at this point! :D

But it would have been so much better with Lucy participating. I told you, MY dream would have been a ten part PBS mini series that focused in each part on certain sections of her multi faceted life. Her childhood, early work in the industry, Queen of the B's, radio and early television, unparalleled success of the greatest TV show of all time, Lucy after ILL, Lucy in the movies, the people around Lucy, Lucy in other settings of specials, guest shots, etc and finally Lucy in her later life. This just off the top of my head though as i forgot to include one part for her running DESILU. Just getting all the people together who were still alive and could have reminisced about her, as God knows she worked with almost everybody in the business. Oh and maybe another part about her being a woman and the advances she made for women running their own production companies or in her case her own studio.

Sounds great, get me Tom Watson on the phone right now . . .

Got his number, don't tempt me....but then again, he's busy already working on Season 5 of TLS!!! Woohoo!! :D

Is he doing just The Lucy Show or is he the one who does Here's Lucy also? As those boxed sets are so well done, we have to find a way to thank him properly and acknowledge his great work. If you have his number, why dun't you ask HIM about Lucy in London?

Is he doing just The Lucy Show or is he the one who does Here's Lucy also? As those boxed sets are so well done, we have to find a way to thank him properly and acknowledge his great work. If you have his number, why dun't you ask HIM about Lucy in London?

I said I had his number, I didn't say he'd take my call! :marionstrong:

Let's just say I know folks involved with both series' sets, Season 5 is being worked on for both TLS and HL and the next "goodie" we might be on the lookout for --and very soon! -- is Lucy Moves to NBC and as I understand it, that'll be it for the specials.

As for LIL, it is not for me to say one or the other as I truly respect my "sources" but from what I was told, there was no decision made one way or the other for LIL to be included in the next release, or as a separate release or anything else for that matter, so I don't know who these folks are coming out of the woodwork claiming they've talked to executives or whomever else is supposedly in the know and who knows? maybe they do but you couldn't prove it by me, so I'll stand by my sources. :D (But frankly, that whole PBS pledge scenario sounds like a load of crap wishful thinking to me! :P )

Of course, these things just like the cover art is subject to change up to the very last minute so again, who knows? We can only hope! ;)

I said I had his number, I didn't say he'd take my call! :marionstrong:

Let's just say I know folks involved with both series' sets, Season 5 is being worked on for both TLS and HL and the next "goodie" we might be on the lookout for --and very soon! -- is Lucy Moves to NBC and as I understand it, that'll be it for the specials.

As for LIL, it is not for me to say one or the other as I truly respect my "sources" but from what I was told, there was no decision made one way or the other for LIL to be included in the next release, or as a separate release or anything else for that matter, so I don't know who these folks are coming out of the woodwork claiming they've talked to executives or whomever else is supposedly in the know and who knows? maybe they do but you couldn't prove it by me, so I'll stand by my sources. :D (But frankly, that whole PBS pledge scenario sounds like a load of crap wishful thinking to me! :P )

Of course, these things just like the cover art is subject to change up to the very last minute so again, who knows? We can only hope! ;)

Ok but back to my question, is Tommy boy doing both or just TLS? And we're only mising two specials Lucy in London and in Nashville so i have a feeling we will get both eventually like i said about all of Lucy's shows that we are gradually getting now.

"Lucy Comes To Nashville" is not a Lucille Ball special nor is it owned by CBS. I'm not sure who produced the special. It wasn't very memorable. What CBS did back in the fall of 1978 was attach Lucille Ball's name to it. They figured it would get ratings. It did get a 20.2 rating and a 28% share of the viewing audience which isn't bad considering it was airing against ABC's blockbuster mini-series "War and Remembrance." It aired at 9:00 pm on Sunday right before "Dallas." So other than "Lucy Moves To NBC," only "Lucy In London" is remaining. Believe me, "Lucy In London" will be released either on season five of "The Lucy Show" or will be sold separately in stores.

"Lucy Comes To Nashville" is not a Lucille Ball special nor is it owned by CBS. I'm not sure who produced the special. It wasn't very memorable. What CBS did back in the fall of 1978 was attach Lucille Ball's name to it. They figured it would get ratings. It did get a 20.2 rating and a 28% share of the viewing audience which isn't bad considering it was airing against ABC's blockbuster mini-series "War and Remembrance." It aired at 9:00 pm on Sunday right before "Dallas." So other than "Lucy Moves To NBC," only "Lucy In London" is remaining. Believe me, "Lucy In London" will be released either on season five of "The Lucy Show" or will be sold separately in stores.

There's also a special she did with Carol Burnett, before The Carol Burnett Show.

There's also a special she did with Carol Burnett, before The Carol Burnett Show.

Carol Plus Two was a special for Carol that became a sort of PILOT for her variety series, and it was terrific, Lucy and Zero Mostel fresh off the success of Fiddler on the roof and Carol of course.

I dun't care who owns it or who produced it and i remember that Lucy was only the mistress of ceremonies for it but it WAS memorable to me as she did a couple of sketches in it, one of which she conducted the orchestra and i wanna see it on DVD. Lucy in Nashville, but now we know THANKS TO YOU that CBS won't be releasing it, LOL!

And we're only mising two specials Lucy in London and in Nashville so i have a feeling we will get both eventually like i said about all of Lucy's shows that we are gradually getting now.

Let's not forget NBC SUNDAY SHOWCASE: The Milton Berle Special (Nov. 1, 1959), the "fourteenth" 1-hour I LOVE LUCY episode.

Who owns the rights to that? NBC, Berle's estate, some combination of both, other?

Let's not forget NBC SUNDAY SHOWCASE: The Milton Berle Special (Nov. 1, 1959), the "fourteenth" 1-hour I LOVE LUCY episode.

Who owns the rights to that? NBC, Berle's estate, some combination of both, other?

Hmm, maybe that's why we did! The "other" Berle hour-long was painful enough!! :o

Indeed, don't forget, fellow completists, after TLS and HL are done, we still need LWL!

But for me it doesn't stop there either, i want everything she ever did, her talk and game show appearances, her guest shots on other stars' specials, shows and every tribute, roast, well, everything else, you know?

I dun't care who owns it or who produced it and i remember that Lucy was only the mistress of ceremonies for it but it WAS memorable to me as she did a couple of sketches in it, one of which she conducted the orchestra and i wanna see it on DVD. Lucy in Nashville, but now we know THANKS TO YOU that CBS won't be releasing it, LOL!

As far as Lucy Comes to Nashville, I wish her sketches from that, could be released as extras on The Lucy Show or Here's Lucy dvd releases, like they did with some of her guest appearances on other tv shows and specials.

But for me it doesn't stop there either, i want everything she ever did, her talk and game show appearances, her guest shots on other stars' specials, shows and every tribute, roast, well, everything else, you know?

The tribute they did for her that included Joan Collins should most-definitely be released on dvd.

Archived