Release of LUCY IN LONDON on DVD Is in Jeopardy

I've actually been working on these sets and while it's generally not advisable/against contracts for anyone working on any entertainment related project to discuss it before it's been officially announced or released, I just have to ask this.

Mikidiki, who is your source that says "London" is definitely confirmed to be on the season 5 DVD set?

Flo, the manicurist.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crikey I've never known a possible DVD release to cause such a debate... kinda cool ain't it! :HALKING:

With such an exciting debate, now it will REALLY be a let-down if they don't include "Lucy In London". This excitement can only add to the release and make it even more successful once it comes out.

If a decision has NOT yet been made, then it is not in jeopardy. But a 50-50 chance it will be included. However most people don't do snail mail - I don't. If there was an email address then we could use that, instead I have opted for CBS Home Entertainments facebook page to request it.

If a decision has NOT yet been made, then it is not in jeopardy. But a 50-50 chance it will be included. However most people don't do snail mail - I don't. If there was an email address then we could use that, instead I have opted for CBS Home Entertainments facebook page to request it.

It's a decision that has not been made yet presumably because of concerns that a release might not make good business sense. So as long as there is a possibility it won't be released, I would consider it to be in jeopardy. But the silly semantics really don't matter here. What matters is that the powers that be may need convincing that it's a good idea to move forward and spend the dollars on preparing it for release. I don't understand the sentiment of "I don't do snail mail." As rickee noted, this may be a situation where we might need to do a little work to ensure we get what we want. And I do mean a little work: hit the print key, fold the paper when it comes out of the printer and put it in an envelope, address the envelope and put a stamp on it, then drop it in the mailbox. It doesn't seem like a whole lot of effort to me, that's why I did it. In all, it took about ten minutes of my time to write the letter, print it, address it, place the stamp on it and mail it. Now that I've done that I'm comfortable that I did my part in making this happen. The only contact information I'm aware of is what's posted at http://thelucyshowdvd.com/ That's what I used. There's no e-mail address there. If you find one, let us know. Otherwise, the best assumption is that we have to use snail mail.

With such an exciting debate, now it will REALLY be a let-down if they don't include "Lucy In London". This excitement can only add to the release and make it even more successful once it comes out.

At this point, I can take Lucy In London or leave it. What I really want the most are the remaining forty-six episodes of The Lucy Show in their glorious uncut, pristine form. Don't get me wrong, the specials are nice and all but they are just the icing on the cake. Whether Lucy in London is on the official season five set or not, I will still buy the season 5 set regardless. I just want my collection of this series to be completed from start to finish.

At this point, I can take Lucy In London or leave it. What I really want the most are the remaining forty-six episodes of The Lucy Show in their glorious uncut, pristine form. Don't get me wrong, the specials are nice and all but they are just the icing on the cake. Whether Lucy in London is on the official season five set or not, I will still buy the season 5 set regardless. I just want my collection of this series to be completed from start to finish.

What he said. Thanks, Harrison. :D

It seems to me that a lot of Lucy fanfolks, some of whom inhabit this board, appear to have a sense of entitlement for lack of a better word about what should or shouldn't be on these DVD releases. I feel given the age of the materials, how 'spensive it is to restore/clean up/remaster this aged material and then convert it to the digital domain, I think we're lucky just to get the EPISODES in uncut, pristine and near-Technicolor looking condition on these thins'. EVERYTHING ELSE IS GRAVY!!!

And please don't think that means I don't WANT LIL released on DVD, whether as a separate release or as a bonus feature: of COURSE I do, but it's called a "bonus" for a reason: it's icing on the cake, a perk, an extra, a nice bow tying up a very purty present. It's not the "main event."

And how anyone could settle for those shitty public domain versions after seeing how fantastic THESE releases look, well that just boggles my mind!! There's NO comparison!

lucyeww.JPG

It seems to me that a lot of Lucy fanfolks, some of whom inhabit this board, appear to have a sense of entitlement for lack of a better word about what should or shouldn't be on these DVD releases. I feel given the age of the materials, how 'spensive it is to restore/clean up/remaster this aged material and then convert it to the digital domain, I think we're lucky just to get the EPISODES in uncut, pristine and near-Technicolor looking condition on these thins'. EVERYTHING ELSE IS GRAVY!!!

And please don't think that means I don't WANT LIL released on DVD, whether as a separate release or as a bonus feature: of COURSE I do, but it's called a "bonus" for a reason: it's icing on the cake, a perk, an extra, a nice bow tying up a very purty present. It's not the "main event."

And how anyone could settle for those shitty public domain versions after seeing how fantastic THESE releases look, well that just boggles my mind!! There's NO comparison!

lucyeww.JPG

But Joey, we`re talking about the all time Queen of Comedy, First Lady of Television, so therefore all her priceless material should be released and pronto, if they can release crap like What`s Happening, they can release gems like Lucy in London!

Was she out in the car necking when she told you? ;-)

:marionstrong: and :hlLOL:

And if you can't trust a floozy manicurist WHO can you trust?

What would you two suggest to be a good angle to approach our appeal from? We don't want them all to sound alike (where's Max Von Myerling when you need him?) and don't want to come off as crackpots.

I know what you're thinking: we ARE!

Well I know it and YOU know it, but I don't see why Ken Ross has to know it!

If "Lucy in London" is not included, there will be NO living with me, and I live alone so you know where THAT'll leave me...

But Joey, we`re talking about the all time Queen of Comedy, First Lady of Television, so therefore all her priceless material should be released and pronto, if they can release crap like What`s Happening, they can release gems like Lucy in London!

I think it should too but that doesn't mean CBS thinks so...and with them, it's all about the bottom line. Believe it or not "Happening" was only released because some shmuck thought it would sell, but then you can't compare the two, they're two different "animals": WH was shot cheaply on videotape and wasn't expected to look much better on DVD, so next to no money likely was invested in its release; LIL is full of music, which is costly enough with all the rights issues, then there's more cost and legalities dealing with the Newly estate for rights, clearances, etc., and if that weren't enough, the source material is over 45 years old and to look halfway decent, would entail massive clean-up, color correction and restoration. Worth it? To us, YES! To CBS, probably not.

I do like the argument however, that since most of this season is already out thanks to the wonder of public domain (!), that the inclusion of LIL would certainly be an enticement for the "casual" fan as - let's face it -- we here are going to buy it anyway!

Don't think I don't want this to come to pass, I do. Just that practically speaking, since we're dealing with a huge corporation, I don't think it likely. Sadly! lucydisgust.JPG

What would you two suggest to be a good angle to approach our appeal from?

Because I can't decide between two:

1. To calmly and maturely appeal to his sense of responsibility to preserve for future generations the most unusual thing the most revered lady on TV ever did; that just as a time-capsule, it's important, etc.

or

2. Barging into to his offices yelling "Ken Ross is a Meanie, Ken Ross is a Meanie..." and then hold my breath until he agrees to include it.

Flo, the manicurist.

Flo's hardly known as an unimpeachable source. Remember? She's the one who started that rumor that Grandma Sutton had run off with a 22 year old catfood salesman.

OR...

telling him "Ken, you know that number you and I were going to do for the PTA musical? Well, Paul Brownstein's been bugging me to be in the show and he does have a lovely voice...."

:lucyhaha::lucyhaha::lucyhaha:

lucyeww.JPG

Yeah that's what I think.

Although with LIL and having Lucy Flies to London on the Lucy Show it's like having the opening scene to an episode but not the rest of it. Before I knew about the cost of releasing it I always used to wonder why they didnt just split the special in two and package it up with The Lucy Show so the story was complete

Yeah that's what I think.

Although with LIL and having Lucy Flies to London on the Lucy Show it's like having the opening scene to an episode but not the rest of it. Before I knew about the cost of releasing it I always used to wonder why they didnt just split the special in two and package it up with The Lucy Show so the story was complete

I don't really agree with you UKlucyfan. I mean, the Here's Lucy episode with David Frost could also be classed as a pre London special but it just ended there, so "Lucy Flies To London" could also just be a one off episode. Most people wouldn't think that there is supposed to be a special after it, it's only because we know that there is! :lucythrill:

yeah I see what you mean. I suppose i see it that why as it shows her jetting off but next episode shes back home. At least in the frost episode they show her in the destination and the premise is set up that the next step for her is to go home.

Mind you i always felt the las vegas episdoe was part of a 2 parter and that isnt, i actually thought when we saw the uncut version there would be scenes i didnt have lol

yeah I see what you mean. I suppose i see it that why as it shows her jetting off but next episode shes back home. At least in the frost episode they show her in the destination and the premise is set up that the next step for her is to go home.

Mind you i always felt the las vegas episdoe was part of a 2 parter and that isnt, i actually thought when we saw the uncut version there would be scenes i didnt have lol

Yep, there are SO many episodes that could/should have been made into a two part series but sadly/thankfully LOL! weren't.

Okay, I know I'm going to be chastised for this but I'm actually a big fan of "What's Happening!!" and Shirley Hemphill. Yes, I know the story of Shirley in Lucy's class. But I grew up watching the series and have it on dvd. I watch it a lot about as much as I watch all of Lucy's series. And I love it. But then again, I think shows like "Married With Children" and "Mad About You" are crap that I'm surprised were released on dvd. So I guess every series has an audience. :maryjane2:

Okay, I know I'm going to be chastised for this but I'm actually a big fan of "What's Happening!!" and Shirley Hemphill. Yes, I know the story of Shirley in Lucy's class. But I grew up watching the series and have it on dvd. I watch it a lot about as much as I watch all of Lucy's series. And I love it. But then again, I think shows like "Married With Children" and "Mad About You" are crap that I'm surprised were released on dvd. So I guess every series has an audience. :maryjane2:

To each his own, no problem. I always try and pick a shitty show when i say Lucy's this hasn't been released but THAT crap is, i usually go with Good Times, but decided to name another one and went with one that irritated me when i saw it in a store, i'm sorry, we all have different tastes and surely there are loads of worse shows out there in the tv universe than either GT or WH, i just pick on those as they are HIGH profile shows, Lord knows there are hundreds of worse shows but people wouldn't know what i was referring to unless i named popular ones. I've never seen Married with Children, it aired on Fox when that network wasn't available here, but what i've seen of it in clips on shows, it looks God awful, but Mad About You is classic situation comedy but being New York type cerebral humor would not appeal to everyone.

How are the season by season releases of "The Lucy Show" on DVD been selling. Does anyone here know how many were sold?

The Lucy Show:

The First Season:_________________

The Second Season:________________

The Third Season:_________________

The Fourth Season:________________

How does the sales of "The Lucy Show" compare with the ones for "I Love Lucy"?

I think if we can see these numbers we can understand the decision making process going on in the marketing department at CBS. Did "The Lucy Show" DVDS sell as well as "I Love Lucy" and who were buying them? casual fans? die-hard fans? If the numbers were low on "The Lucy Show" then I assume they are die-hard fans.

I do like the argument however, that since most of this season is already out thanks to the wonder of public domain (!), that the inclusion of LIL would certainly be an enticement for the "casual" fan as - let's face it -- we here are going to buy it anyway!

lucydisgust.JPG

"Casual fans" may not even know that "Lucy In London" exists. They may think it is one of the episodes from the fifth season of "I Love Lucy". I think that "Lucy In London" will only entice "die-hard fans" who are already purchasing "The Lucy Show". If "Lucy In London" isn't included, I will most probably be one of "we" that will not purchase it. Besides, I am so sick and tired of watching the public domain episodes, I want to watch something new. I want something that I don't have.

The "cost" of music rights are a mystery to me. I recently bought the "George Burns Specials" collection which contains a lot of musical numbers over the box set, and this is a smallish DVD company - but they did it. How many musical numbers are we talking about in Lucy in London.

Archived