Release of LUCY IN LONDON on DVD Is in Jeopardy

Thanks for the info. I gather from the thread that NET is WNET, a PBS station so that seems a bit strange to me and I'm not sure I buy it. Why would CBS go to the time and effort of getting this DVD-ready if it is only going to be available during one of those irritating* PBS pledge drives? That seems like a very limited marked and not worth their while at all. Having the specials -- in lieu of it being on Season Five where it belongs -- as an Amazon.com or BestBuy exclusive, for example, seems far more sensible. I doubt many people will want to pay $300 for a Lucy In London DVD and a PBS tote bag.

Has CBS handled any other DVD releases in a similar fashion?

*I say this as a firm supporter of PBS and a lapsed member of WNED.

(and welcome to the Board!)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info. I gather from the thread that NET is WNET, a PBS station so that seems a bit strange to me and I'm not sure I buy it. Why would CBS go to the time and effort of getting this DVD-ready if it is only going to be available during one of those irritating* PBS pledge drives? That seems like a very limited marked and not worth their while at all. Having the specials -- in lieu of it being on Season Five where it belongs -- as an Amazon.com or BestBuy exclusive, for example, seems far more sensible. I doubt many people will want to pay $300 for a Lucy In London DVD and a PBS tote bag.

Has CBS handled any other DVD releases in a similar fashion?

*I say this as a firm supporter of PBS and a lapsed member of WNED.

(and welcome to the Board!)

I agree on all counts. :lucydisgust:

I think in addition to the pledge drive, "Lucy In London" would also be available to buy in stores or on-line. When PBS had a pledge drive for American Master's Finding Lucy it was also available in stores. So I don't think it will be primarily just a DVD pledge drive.

I'm not sure I like this pledge drive idea but I'm happy that we will see Season 5 in December. I would like it much better if they just include in the special on Season 5 where it belongs. Let them have a pledge drive for "Lucy In Nashville". :maryjane2:

I'm not sure I like this pledge drive idea but I'm happy that we will see Season 5 in December. I would like it much better if they just include in the special on Season 5 where it belongs. Let them have a pledge drive for "Lucy In Nashville". :maryjane2:

I think NOW is even more the time to let CBS/Paramount know we want Lucy in London on the season 5 set, like Little Ricky suggested at the beginning of this thread.

LOL! Good one! But LIL was more cerebral and uplifting than Nashville which was too cornpone for PBS, LOL!

I have no idea what this pledge drive is or what it relates to (im in the uk) and how it will affect any general availability of rare Lucy material

PBS, the American public broadcaster, often has "pledge drives" at certain points of the year. During these pledge drives, the hosts typically interrupt a program asking for pledges and depending on how much you pledge to that particular PBS affiliate you get a corresponding "gift". It could be something like this.

If you pledge _______ you will get.

$100 - A Lucy bag

$150 - A copy of I Had A Ball by Mr. Michael Z. Stern

$200 - A copy of Lucille Ball FAQ by Mr. James Z. Sheridan

$225 - A copy of both

$250 - A DVD of Finding Lucy

$275 - A DVD of Lucy In London

$300 - Both DVDs

$350 - Both DVDs + Both Books

$400 - Both DVDs + Both Books + Lucy Bag

$500 - Both DVDs + Both Books + Lucy Bag + A personal appearance by James Z. Sheridan coming to your house to play the spoons

With this offer, you can definitely put me down for FIVE....I'll figure out a way to pay later...

$500 - Both DVDs + Both Books + Lucy Bag + A personal appearance by James Z. Sheridan coming to your house to play the spoons

PBS, the American public broadcaster, often has "pledge drives" at certain points of the year. During these pledge drives, the hosts typically interrupt a program asking for pledges and depending on how much you pledge to that particular PBS affiliate you get a corresponding "gift". It could be something like this.

$100 - A Lucy bag

$150 - A copy of I Had A Ball by Mr. Michael Z. Stern

$200 - A copy of Lucille Ball FAQ by Mr. James Z. Sheridan

$225 - A copy of both

$250 - A DVD of Finding Lucy

$275 - A DVD of Lucy In London

$300 - Both DVDs

$350 - Both DVDs + Both Books

$400 - Both DVDs + Both Books + Lucy Bag

Sorry, but personally the idea of having to donate hundreds of dollars to PBS to get a lousy DVD that doesn't cost $10 to produce is beyond ridiculous! Ugh! lucyeww.JPG

Thank you, Mr. Wilson, for being the bearer of this wonderful news! Lucy In London will finally see the (non-bootlegged) light of day! I am a bit worried about the possible pledge drive. Though the money may be going to a good cause, pledge drives generally have the potential to make the release of ANY home video item (DVD, Blu-Ray, Collector's DVD Set, etc.) extremely overpriced.

I am curious about the The Danny Kaye Show appearance. Does anyone know why only segments of the 1964 appearance were included on The Lucy Show Season 3 DVD set? Were the costs of licensing too much? Also, I may be mistaken, but I remember one of the two Kaye Show appearances being screened in its entirety at one of the Jamestown festivals, and I remember this being in color. Can anyone confirm this? I may be thinking of something else.

Thank you, Mr. Wilson, for being the bearer of this wonderful news! Lucy In London will finally see the (non-bootlegged) light of day! I am a bit worried about the possible pledge drive. Though the money may be going to a good cause, pledge drives generally have the potential to make the release of ANY home video item (DVD, Blu-Ray, Collector's DVD Set, etc.) extremely overpriced.

Sorry, but I just don't buy it, especially since this hasn't been confirmed by anyone "intimately" (ahem) involved with the producing of these DVD sets, and until such time that someone of that "in the know" area comes forth and confirms -- or denies, whichever is correct -- I think this is just wishful thinking and/or someone's clever way of drumming up interest in this title (like we all don't want it bad enough!) lucyhorror.JPG

I am curious about the The Danny Kaye Show appearance. Does anyone know why only segments of the 1964 appearance were included on The Lucy Show Season 3 DVD set? Were the costs of licensing too much? Also, I may be mistaken, but I remember one of the two Kaye Show appearances being screened in its entirety at one of the Jamestown festivals, and I remember this being in color. Can anyone confirm this? I may be thinking of something else.

There were TWO Danny Kaye SPECIALS or shows, with Lucy, one was definitely a SPECIAL where he coaxed her out of semi retirement with a 100 thousand dollars for an enticement, which was then unheard of for a fee and one of them was in COLOR.

"The Lucy Sow" Season 5 - Tentative Release Date December 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just spoke to Jeff Nemerovski, Vice President of Business Development of CBS Home Entertainment in California and he told me that "The Lucy Show" season five has a tentative release date for December 6th. I told Mr. Nemerovski what a wonderful job CBS and Paramount have done on the Lucy releases. He told me that Tom Watson should be thanked since he is the execuitve producer of the releases. ALSO, BIG SCOOP - "Lucy In London" will be released but they haven't decided yet to include it in season five. It seems that they are in talks with NET to have a pledge drive for "Lucy In London" in celebration of the 60th Anniversary of "I Love Lucy" and the 100 Birthday of Lucille Ball. I believe he said that the pledge drive would also include the DVD version of American Master's Finding Lucy, which was offered a few years ago in VHS version on NET as a pledge drive. This is just great news. So we either get "Lucy In London" in season five or we can purchase it through NET if they have a Lucy pledge drive.

P.S. I also failed to mention that if CBS includes "Lucy In London" in season five of "The Lucy Show" they would consider a pledge drive for Lucille Ball's guest appearance on "The Danny Kaye Show" which aired in 1964.

Read more: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?p=4562795&posted=1#post4562795#ixzz1OXv86CnS

So, no decision has been made yet though, people, keep that in mind! I certainly would love to see Finding Lucy on dvd also, it was one of the all time best LUCY tributes.

So, no decision has been made yet though, people, keep that in mind! I certainly would love to see Finding Lucy on dvd also, it was one of the all time best LUCY tributes.

That's great news still! At least we know LIL WILL be released! Claude, what is "Finding Lucy"? I don't know/haven't heard anything about that. Do tell! xx

That's great news still! At least we know LIL WILL be released! Claude, what is "Finding Lucy"? I don't know/haven't heard anything about that. Do tell! xx

Finding Lucy was this great PBS documentary that PBS did on Lucy after she passed on. They had tried to do one while she was alive but gary demanded such a huge fee that they declined and waited for her to die instead, son of a bitch! It was so terrific that i had MY VHS copy transferred to DVD so i could still put it on once in a while, just beautifully done in the manner of Lucy and Desi Home Movies but with more of a slant on LUCY. Absolutely great from start to finish, beautifully done.

They had tried to do one while she was alive but gary demanded such a huge fee that they declined and waited for her to die instead, son of a bitch!

The only way they could have demanded a large fee was if they wanted Lucy to sit down and talk about herself and/or use clips that were specifically owned by Lucy and LBP. There was nothing stopping them from setting out and doing a documentary, much like the one they ended up with, on their own accord.

The only way they could have demanded a large fee was if they wanted Lucy to sit down and talk about herself and/or use clips that were specifically owned by Lucy and LBP. There was nothing stopping them from setting out and doing a documentary, much like the one they ended up with, on their own accord.

But it would have been so much better with Lucy participating. I told you, MY dream would have been a ten part PBS mini series that focused in each part on certain sections of her multi faceted life. Her childhood, early work in the industry, Queen of the B's, radio and early television, unparalleled success of the greatest TV show of all time, Lucy after ILL, Lucy in the movies, the people around Lucy, Lucy in other settings of specials, guest shots, etc and finally Lucy in her later life. This just off the top of my head though as i forgot to include one part for her running DESILU. Just getting all the people together who were still alive and could have reminisced about her, as God knows she worked with almost everybody in the business. Oh and maybe another part about her being a woman and the advances she made for women running their own production companies or in her case her own studio.

Finding Lucy was this great PBS documentary that PBS did on Lucy after she passed on. They had tried to do one while she was alive but gary demanded such a huge fee that they declined and waited for her to die instead, son of a bitch! It was so terrific that i had MY VHS copy transferred to DVD so i could still put it on once in a while, just beautifully done in the manner of Lucy and Desi Home Movies but with more of a slant on LUCY. Absolutely great from start to finish, beautifully done.

Sounds wonderful! I look forward to its pending release whenever that may be! :lucyhorror:

Speaking of which - eBay are selling quite a few (VHS) versions of it.

Archived