What do you guys think?

HEY!! JUst watched a Here's LUCY episode titled: LUCY the Cement Worker... which is kinda funny to me.. my question tho... Mary Jane's dress... (and I have seen her in this dress bfore on Here's Lucy).. is that the Don Loper Original that cost 500.00? yes 500.00.. Doesn't Loper know any other number but five OH OH.. A plain simple ordinary dress like this 500.00 I DON't BELIEVE IT!... I mean to me Mary Jane's dress looks like that one Mrs. Ricardo got free from Mr. Loper (FREEE)and all the Here's Lucy people did was put an ugly black bow on the collar... does anyone know if it is the same dress??

• 3 weeks later...

OKay.. guess no one knows or cares .. so I'll just pose another one pertaining to costumes.. does she wear the same dress from the hour long Tallulah episode.. "You should have seen her.. being so charming and coy and DAAH-LING everybody all over the place" as she wears while serving Mr. Mooney papers on shipboard "Theadore Mooney!" ??? If it is the same dress, kinda kewl to see it in black an white and color.. makes me wish the hourlong episodes were filmed in color!

Could be, who knows..........could have been shortened.

They dun't look the same but it's quite possible as Lucy did that all the time, give her clothes away to friends and co stars and rewore the same things after having them altered and all. If she did pay 500 smackeroos, she got 2500 dollars worth out of it in it's first year, LOL!

OKay.. guess no one knows or cares .. so I'll just pose another one pertaining to costumes.. does she wear the same dress from the hour long Tallulah episode.. "You should have seen her.. being so charming and coy and DAAH-LING everybody all over the place" as she wears while serving Mr. Mooney papers on shipboard "Theadore Mooney!" ??? If it is the same dress, kinda kewl to see it in black an white and color.. makes me wish the hourlong episodes were filmed in color!

It is the same. :) She also wears it in "Lucy Goes to Sun Valley." She wore it to testify in her divorce against Desi and to file for a marriage license with Gary too.

It is the same. :) She also wears it in "Lucy Goes to Sun Valley." She wore it to testify in her divorce against Desi and to file for a marriage license with Gary too.

Do you also know what she had as accessories with the dress? And what type underwear did she have on? This had better all be in your new book. :HALKING::HALKING::HALKING:

Untitled-2.png

I KNEW it was the Loper Original for FREEE! Wonder how Don took to the restyling.. (UGH!) I hate that black bow around Mary Jane's neck, but realize it had to be there to cover the "gap" when the collar is drawn around the neck like that..rather than open like on Mrs. Ricardo. Thanks guys for confirming my suspicions!

I KNEW it was the Loper Original for FREEE! Wonder how Don took to the restyling.. (UGH!) I hate that black bow around Mary Jane's neck, but realize it had to be there to cover the "gap" when the collar is drawn around the neck like that..rather than open like on Mrs. Ricardo. Thanks guys for confirming my suspicions!

I had no idea whatsoever that it could possibly be the exact same dress, amazing!

So Big Red was as usual, was ahead of her time and was, at least where wardrobe was concerned, "Queen of Recycling"! marionstrong.gif

So Big Red was as usual, was ahead of her time and was, at least where wardrobe was concerned, "Queen of Recycling"! marionstrong.gif

Yeah, funny that she was put on Blackwell's worst dressed list a few times because she was a former model and knew all about fashion. I was watching her in the unfunny Ida Lupino Howard Duff Lucy Desi comedy hour last night and was floored that she even had material from her dress and wrap on her shoes covering them and making the whole outfit so elegant.

This is a fascinating finding; it reminds me of Ethel's bathrobe that somehow surfaced on Ann-Margret's body on Here's Lucy some twenty years later.

I think it was Lucy who invented the saying WASTE NOT WANT NOT . . .remember how when they bought RKO and she saw her old gowns from movies she had done there.

Well, talk of wearing the same outfit restyled or wearing the same out fit often, just with new accesories, I have to tell you.. I wish one particular outfit was worn less or atleast worn with different accessories.. and that is that damn blue suit she wears in The Lucy Show and in Here's Lucy.. I think from season 5 of TLS till at least season 2 or HL that outfit made a weekly appearance! If she isn't steaming an envelope of Mr. Mooney's open while wearing it, she's at court explaining how she and Kim conducted a raffle without a license with it on. Damn that thing is on her too much, and I really don't think it flatters her all that much.....

YOU guys have any costumes she wears that you don't particullary care for?

I personally think some of her outfits from the first season of ILL didnt do much for her; even though Lucy could pull it off most times. But in saying that, it was the first season of her television career, she herself needed to experiment with different types of outfits to find "her look" and the look for Lucy Ricardo.

Well, talk of wearing the same outfit restyled or wearing the same out fit often, just with new accesories, I have to tell you.. I wish one particular outfit was worn less or atleast worn with different accessories.. and that is that damn blue suit she wears in The Lucy Show and in Here's Lucy.. I think from season 5 of TLS till at least season 2 or HL that outfit made a weekly appearance! If she isn't steaming an envelope of Mr. Mooney's open while wearing it, she's at court explaining how she and Kim conducted a raffle without a license with it on. Damn that thing is on her too much, and I really don't think it flatters her all that much.....

If thats the light blue suit Im thinking of it was up for sale at the 2001 convention for $500 bucks and failed to sell

I personally think some of her outfits from the first season of ILL didnt do much for her; even though Lucy could pull it off most times. But in saying that, it was the first season of her television career, she herself needed to experiment with different types of outfits to find "her look" and the look for Lucy Ricardo.

Its funny how in season one they tried to show her as a housewife with her hair in a scarf and curlers and in a dressing gown but after that season they seem to keep her dressed up most the time LOL

Its funny how in season one they tried to show her as a housewife with her hair in a scarf and curlers and in a dressing gown but after that season they seem to keep her dressed up most the time LOL

Yeah they tried the "housewife" look for a while, but it didnt stick for long. Which worked out for the better!

But BLUE was a great color on her though. Her beautiful multi piece gown that she wore to marry gary in real life and then Fonda in Yours mine and whozitz was gorgeous on her.

And she had that thing where she wanted to look like a regular housewife on the show so she rewore loads of thins all the time. I used to think she was wearing things my own mother wore in the fifties, same styles, ordinary house dresses but then her wardrobe got snazzier when the show and Ricky got more successful.

Well yeah, at first it was for reality's sake but when the show became the HUGE HIT everybody watched they had to perk it up, people were buying anything she wore in real life.

They didn't have an Eloise or Eddie the first season: they literally bought clothes off the rack from Orbach's!

They were finding their way and pioneering alot of things that first season, her character's wardrobe among them.

It all worked out just fine.

;)

But BLUE was a great color on her though. Her beautiful multi piece gown that she wore to marry gary in real life and then Fonda in Yours mine and whozitz was gorgeous on her.

I FREAKIN' LOVE THAT (YOURS MINE & OURS) OUTFIT... and I dig the bouquet! Blue does look good on her.. maybe in real life the (crapy one I'm refering to) looked great, but I certainly didn't care seeing Mrs. Carmichael/Carter in it!

Archived