They Love Lucy: Celebrity Lucy Fans

Brock

The great silent film legend Mary Pickford mentions being a Lucy fan in a rare interview she gave in 1976 to Associated Press' Bob Thomas at the time of her career achievement Academy Award. It actually sounds kind of like a comment Lucy herself would make concerning how she passes her time:

"I read a lot and try to keep up with what my fellow artists are doing, although I never considered myself an artist. I go into the garden. I watch a lot of television. The news, and I have my favorites, Mary Tyler Moore, Lucille Ball."

Knowing how Lucy respected the greats of the industry - Bette Davis, Mae West, etc. - I'm sure she must have been truly honored by Mary's comments. Too bad she couldn't have lured her out of retirement for a guest shot on one of her shows ala Gloria Swanson on The Beverly Hillbillies.

The great silent film legend Mary Pickford mentions being a Lucy fan in a rare interview she gave in 1976 to Associated Press' Bob Thomas at the time of her career achievement Academy Award. It actually sounds kind of like a comment Lucy herself would make concerning how she passes her time:

"I read a lot and try to keep up with what my fellow artists are doing, although I never considered myself an artist. I go into the garden. I watch a lot of television. The news, and I have my favorites, Mary Tyler Moore, Lucille Ball."

That's always so nice to hear or read. Found an old bio of Douglas Fairbanks this morning where he was also very complimentary of Lucy.

• 2 weeks later...

This Zosia Mamet seems insufferable everywhere else outside of her bit role as Joyce on Mad Men.

Hope all of you GOT the reference to Miss Utah as she was in the news this week with her long rambling incoherent reply to the question they asked her on the pageant, I never watch those crappy pageants but did see it repeated again and again on many talk shows, she was fodder for all of them this past week, LOL!

Hope all of you GOT the reference to Miss Utah as she was in the news this week with her long rambling incoherent reply to the question they asked her on the pageant, I never watch those crappy pageants but did see it repeated again and again on many talk shows, she was fodder for all of them this past week, LOL!

We got it, don't worry. ;)

• 4 months later...

Coolness!! How great is it that a Shakespearean actor gives credit to our beloved La Ball and ILL for inspiration!! :D

You don't hear that every day!  :peachonthebeach:

• 3 months later...

Another addition to the list -- and, now, after reading this article, seeing "Hello Dolly!" starring Sally Struthers is now on my bucket list:

http://www.bakersfieldcalifornian.com/entertainment/theater/x493443011/Hello-Sally-Struthers-brings-stage-classic-to-Bakersfield

Guess you'll have to head west: Sally & company are coming to the Palm Springs area soon....andI'd like to see it mahself! ;)

20140211080016_hello-dolly_web2.jpg

Hello, Dolly!
Starring Sally Struthers

Winner of ten Tony Awards including Best Musical, Hello, Dolly! is one of the most enduring Broadway classics. Emmy-award winning Sally Struthers (All In the Family, Gilmore Girls) stars as the strong-willed matchmaker Dolly Levi as she travels to Yonkers, NY to find a match for the ornery "well-known unmarried half-a-millionaire" Horace Vandergelder. Featuring an irresistible story and an unforgettable score including the title song, "Put on Your Sunday Clothes," "It Only Takes A Moment," and the show-stopping "Before the Parade Passes By," Hello, Dolly! has been charming audiences around the world for nearly 50 years.

Friday, February 28 - Sunday March 2, 2014