Last Lucy Item You Bought?

Brock

The new edition is on my birthday list. What have they added to it?

Well, it took me forever to just read the new added part, it went on forever about what's happened about Lucy since their original book came out back in '93. Since i had not liked their attacks on Lucy, mostly from the likes of moron thompson and queen kenwith, in this revised part, they mention the negative reviews for the ILL 50th anniversary special saying the kids foisted themselves on us when it should have been about Lucy and Desi, not Lucie and Desi jr which i just loved as it's the way i felt too. And Tom Shales, the PUTZlitzer prize winning journalist has a mostly positive review of this great book and Lucy in general although he does include how bitchy she could be, maybe he heard what she thought of HIM after those reviews he did on her work. I ate my words and admit this is the best Lucy book ever, as a bio, not Jim's great LUCY REFERENCE book, it's true that it's an incredible easy read, i got halfway through by fashlight, due to the power failure and will finish it tomorrow. It's only 18.99 at Chapters buddy! So, to answer your question, it's what's happened since '93 in the Lucy firmament and a new intro by shales oh and quite a few never before shown pics of everybody of course.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a memorabilia store i've been in before, i think i got the Lucy and Ethel garbage can there, anyhoo, the store is filled with Betty Boop and Elvis and Monroe of course but almost no Lucy at all. I still go in and look around and find a Lucy clock, orange color, what is it with these people and the garish colors always chosen for Lucy things? Well, a least it wasn't PINK for a change. I saw the clock was half price, from 19.99 to only 9.99, so i ask the lady and she says she also has a Lucy note pad also at half price, PINK naturally, as nobody knows Lucy there but she says she sells well at her other stores in the US. Well, i can understand that i tell her, it's a French city and Lucy doesn't get much airplay here, ever, excpet on US channels of course. It's Lucy from her glamour period of the forties and she now hangs in my bedroom.

• 2 weeks later...

This nifty little TLS promo/recipe package featuring Lucy & Viv:

$(KGrHqYOKpEE4kWg1Oo!BOSZg!k,K!~~60_3.JPG

Very cool item! I had to enlarge the screen image though to confirm that was a drawing of Vivian Vance in the last photo; they've glamoured her up so she looks like a well-fed Donna Douglas. (Of course Viv was quite an attractive lady though!!)

Didn't i also read that she could also be quite impossible to work with and was not liked by her co workers, unlike us, the audience who worshipped her, she was so great in that sweet motherly role.

I believe nearly all of that has come from Mr. Andy Griffith who is one older star I have liked less as the years go by. Jim Nabors for one has been quite complimentary about working with Frances Bauvier. (I believe somewhere George Lindsey has said Griffith himself only bothered with Don Knotts and Ronny Howard of the regulars on the show.)

I believe nearly all of that has come from Mr. Andy Griffith who is one older star I have liked less as the years go by. Jim Nabors for one has been quite complimentary about working with Frances Bauvier. (I believe somewhere George Lindsey has said Griffith himself only bothered with Don Knotts and Ronny Howard of the regulars on the show.)

I believe Ronnie has also spoken of directing a movie on location in North Carolina or wherever Frances was living at time and while scouting out locations he stopped by to visit her and Frances essentially had her housekeeper slam the door in his face. :unsure:

I believe Ronnie has also spoken of directing a movie on location in North Carolina or wherever Frances was living at time and while scouting out locations he stopped by to visit her and Frances essentially had her housekeeper slam the door in his face. :unsure:

Yes, I've heard that story albeit slightly different; he showed up at her house in the late 80's or whenever but she wouldn't let him in. I don't think Ronny told the story in a negative spin though. I can't say I blame her if this was the first time he bothered contacting her after they hadn't worked together in almost 20 years. A lot of people (particularly older folks) don't like people showing up unannounced at their homes, it makes them nervous, maybe the house isn't clean, etc. plus she may have been living quite modestly and was embarassed for him to see her like that or catch her off-guard. In any case, I don't think Ronny has ever painted her in the same negative light as Griffith has in interviews.

I bought the Lucille Ball FAQ book which I had to pry from my hands so I could come catch up on here and a Lucy-Desi Center frisbee. I wish the center would update their website, especially the museum exclusive stuff as there are some things I'd like to order (didn't have enough this weekend) that aren't available on the website. :-/ Ah well, in Lucy heaven right now. :lucydesi:

Yes, I've heard that story albeit slightly different; he showed up at her house in the late 80's or whenever but she wouldn't let him in. I don't think Ronny told the story in a negative spin though. I can't say I blame her if this was the first time he bothered contacting her after they hadn't worked together in almost 20 years. A lot of people (particularly older folks) don't like people showing up unannounced at their homes, it makes them nervous, maybe the house isn't clean, etc. plus she may have been living quite modestly and was embarassed for him to see her like that or catch her off-guard. In any case, I don't think Ronny has ever painted her in the same negative light as Griffith has in interviews.

Funny how we're finding out all these things decades later, the Golden Girls one with Bea and Betty and this one with Frances being hated by some and Fred and Ethel of course, for us here.

• 2 weeks later...

My mom has been having luck with finding Lucy items at garage sales for real cheap. She bought me 3 Lucy Mattel dolls the Vitameatavegamin one, Job switching the first one, and Italian movie all $10 each, which is a fricking DEAL. Then this last weekend she got her hands on the 1990 Hamilton Lucy doll still with the bubble wrap, tape and everything for only $10 which came with one of those crappy The Lucy Show DVDs (with the plot of I Love Lucy on it btw)and a Job switching watch for $5. We clearly saved a bunch of money if I bought it on Amazon or anything.

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1318278559' post='22554]

My mom has been having luck with finding Lucy items at garage sales for real cheap. She bought me 3 Lucy Mattel dolls the Vitameatavegamin one, Job switching the first one, and Italian movie all $10 each, which is a fricking DEAL. Then this last weekend she got her hands on the 1990 Hamilton Lucy doll still with the bubble wrap, tape and everything for only $10 which came with one of those crappy The Lucy Show DVDs (with the plot of I Love Lucy on it btw)and a Job switching watch for $5. We clearly saved a bunch of money if I bought it on Amazon or anything.

Of course by CRAPPY Lucy shows you mean the bootleg public domain version huh? I bought that twice as a lunch box to give away to fans of hers.

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled upon the fact (never occurred to me to look there on my own!) that AllPosters.com carries many different styles of ILL T-shirts! So, I broke down and bought one to add to my "collection", however slight it might be. Will let you know quality, etc. once I receive it. ;)

Also succumbed -- out of curiosity more than anything! -- and ordered the TimeLife "best of collection" with the extra bonus DVD, in part to see how they did bastardizing colorizing the latest effort which after this I'm sure means they're already working on doing the entire series this way in order to release it yet again to make those ca$h registers sing still one more time! Ugh!

I'll retain my comments until viewing said episode. :rolleyes:

I really need to stay off the computer during weekend -- I find too many temptations to spend money on!! :D

Stumbled upon the fact (never occurred to me to look there on my own!) that AllPosters.com carries many different styles of ILL T-shirts! So, I broke down and bought one to add to my "collection", however slight it might be. Will let you know quality, etc. once I receive it. ;)

Also succumbed -- out of curiosity more than anything! -- and ordered the TimeLife "best of collection" with the extra bonus DVD, in part to see how they did bastardizing colorizing the latest effort which after this I'm sure means they're already working on doing the entire series this way in order to release it yet again to make those ca$h registers sing still one more time! Ugh!

I'll retain my comments until viewing said episode. :rolleyes:

I really need to stay off the computer during weekend -- I find too many temptations to spend money on!! :D

You really should try and get over that hatred you obviously have for colorization of the series, it doesn't take away YOUR black and white version and entices new young fans to get it who normally would never watch anything in black and white, i also find it makes the series NEW to me, in a way, so i find nothing wrong with them bringing it out any way they want as long as they keep bringing it out. I was watching a That 70's show rerun yesterday and laughed when they had a flashback to the fifties and showed it in black and white, am i remembering the whole decade wrong, wasn't everything in COLOR??? LOL!

Today, i got Elizabeth Edwards' great new I Love Lucy 60th anniversary tribute coffee table book and it is sensational as all her books are. The pictures are absolutely amazing, HUGE and although most are in black and white when more could have been included IN COLOR, the colllection of pictures is astonishing, you can tell that as Lucie's secretary she had access to some really rare shots that only the family could have in their repertoire. You seldom learn anything new about Lucy in HER books but the way she compiles them makes them a collector's dream. I wish she had a Lucy's 100th coming up. Our own master and commander Brock Weir is featured in there again in a tribute to the endurance of Lucy and the show, as is Rickee and the venerable Tom Watson and the lovely Wanda Clark among others. Beautiful job Ms Edwards, as always! Why a tribute from two of Lucie's kids but not Simon?

Today, i got Elizabeth Edwards' great new I Love Lucy 60th anniversary tribute coffee table book and it is sensational as all her books are. The pictures are absolutely amazing, HUGE and although most are in black and white when more could have been included IN COLOR, the colllection of pictures is astonishing, you can tell that as Lucie's secretary she had access to some really rare shots that only the family could have in their repertoire. You seldom learn anything new about Lucy in HER books but the way she compiles them makes them a collector's dream. I wish she had a Lucy's 100th coming up. Our own master and commander Brock Weir is featured in there again in a tribute to the endurance of Lucy and the show, as is Rickee and the venerable Tom Watson and the lovely Wanda Clark among others. Beautiful job Ms Edwards, as always! Why a tribute from two of Lucie's kids but not Simon?

I totally agree! I got this book on Friday and I've been having a great time reading through it this weekend. The photographs are terrific and there are definitely some I've never seen before. The ones of Lucy with her kids are my favorites, and I especially love the one of Lucy saying good bye to little Lucie and Desi before leaving, I'm assuming, for NY to promote The Long, Long Trailer. Never saw that one before! I love the way the book is set up, too. The chapters are fun and creative!

I totally agree! I got this book on Friday and I've been having a great time reading through it this weekend. The photographs are terrific and there are definitely some I've never seen before. The ones of Lucy with her kids are my favorites, and I especially love the one of Lucy saying good bye to little Lucie and Desi before leaving, I'm assuming, for NY to promote The Long, Long Trailer. Never saw that one before! I love the way the book is set up, too. The chapters are fun and creative!

And, forgive me Brockie . . . all those great pics of Lucy playing with her kids, what a revelation this book will be to Ms. Carole Cook, LOL!

• 3 weeks later...