Lucy Fest 2013 -- August 1 - 4

Brock

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been to Jamestown in a while. Is the museum still 2 museums that includes the original location on third street? If so does the $20 get you into both?

Yes, 20 bucks. It wasn't very clear to us where the second museum's door was. And the staff aren't that helpful.

I don't know, but thank God the museum doesn't own Lucy Lane. Lol. We just got back from the hometown tour, which was very long but interesting I guess. A lot of the places where Lucy went and/or worked at around here are no longer there so sometimes we just looked at empty spaces. Wasn't really worth taking any pics or anything.

The cemetery tour yesterday was ... interesting. I liked the fact that we were on a horse-drawn cart. But there were actors who portrayed the different people in Lucy's life at their gravesites and while we have to give them an A for effort, some of it was just cringeworthy. The little boy who was sposed to play Warner Erickson didn't want to do it this year, so they had Mrs. Erickson stand at the boy's grave with an empty wheelchair and talk to thin air. The guy who played Ed Peterson acted all goofy and was drinking green liquid out of a flask and his teeth were stained green. Thank God they didn't have Lucy or DeDe actors. The tour guide kept calling Cleo "Chloe." The guy playing Johnny Davita was too old and fat to play a 21-year-old wannabe gangster and also got names and dates wrong. Me and Gypsy would loudly mutter the correct info whenever they got something wrong. Lol

I was disappointed that there was no actor for Warner, so Mrs. Erickson's dialogue was a bit off. Perhaps they should have re-written it to accommodate "Warner's" absence or gotten another actor?

The gentleman who played Johnny did a nice job. If impression/act were to be of Johnny as of the time he knew Lucy, then the actor was a bit old; however, if he were to be playing Johnny at an older age after Lucy left Jamestown, then he was appropriate. I'm glad I went on it again this year, and all of the actors did a really nice job.

The only not-so-positive critique I had was that Mrs. Erickson read a LOT of her monologue from her script. Ed Peterson I think did too, but he was LOTS more discreet about it than Mrs. Erickson. Perhaps next time they can use a different beverage in Ed's bottle? Say either iced tea or ginger ale to give the look of liquor (if that's what they were going for) but not have the real thing?

I must say I had a super fun time at the Tact Hut with Joyce, Brock, Desiluforever, et. al. this afternoon for social time and to celebrate Joyce's birthday. It was also great to meet Desiluforever's mother, who's a native of my area.

Lucy & Ethel's Dinner show was fun again this year. For those of you who didn't go, the theme was Lucy and Ethel returning to Jamestown to be the featured entertainers for Jamestown High School's sesquicentennial. Numbers included Lucy as Carmen Miranda, Ethel as Mae West, Sweet Sue, the Hawaiian song (someone help me with the name!), and Friendship as the closing number. It was a pretty full - if not sold out - house. It was nice that they came out into the audience several times again this year.

Dinner was a choice of stuffed pork or chicken cordon bleu. The salad seemed a little smaller than at other meals, but the main course was decent. The spice cake was especially good.

I can't speak for others, but I did get my assigned seat! :)

I don't know, but thank God the museum doesn't own Lucy Lane. Lol. We just got back from the hometown tour, which was very long but interesting I guess. A lot of the places where Lucy went and/or worked at around here are no longer there so sometimes we just looked at empty spaces. Wasn't really worth taking any pics or anything.

The cemetery tour yesterday was ... interesting. I liked the fact that we were on a horse-drawn cart. But there were actors who portrayed the different people in Lucy's life at their gravesites and while we have to give them an A for effort, some of it was just cringeworthy. The little boy who was sposed to play Warner Erickson didn't want to do it this year, so they had Mrs. Erickson stand at the boy's grave with an empty wheelchair and talk to thin air. The guy who played Ed Peterson acted all goofy and was drinking green liquid out of a flask and his teeth were stained green. Thank God they didn't have Lucy or DeDe actors. The tour guide kept calling Cleo "Chloe." The guy playing Johnny Davita was too old and fat to play a 21-year-old wannabe gangster and also got names and dates wrong. Me and Gypsy would loudly mutter the correct info whenever they got something wrong. Lol

Sounds positively CHARMING. :lucydisgust:

Wow on that cemetery tour. I did not know such a tour existed. Can't they just make the cemetery a stop on the town tour like they use to and let everyone pay their respects. I don't think we need bad acting to tell a story most coming there should know.

Makes Jameston appear a bit like Mayberry, but without the humor.

Yes, 20 bucks. It wasn't very clear to us where the second museum's door was. And the staff aren't that helpful.

And YOU're surprised by that? These are the people who don't even stock all the shows she did out on DVD or her movies or all the books written about her.

I was disappointed that there was no actor for Warner, so Mrs. Erickson's dialogue was a bit off. Perhaps they should have re-written it to accommodate "Warner's" absence or gotten another actor?

The only not-so-positive critique I had was that Mrs. Erickson read a LOT of her monologue from her script. Ed Peterson I think did too, but he was LOTS more discreet about it than Mrs. Erickson. Perhaps next time they can use a different beverage in Ed's bottle? Say either iced tea or ginger ale to give the look of liquor (if that's what they were going for) but not have the real thing?

Maybe they could have asked Clint Eastwood, he's used to talking to empty chairs.

Bill Engvall was in top form tonight. But I believe the best part of the night was when Gypsy had a "celiac episode" at the end of the show and had to use the bathroom rather urgently, and who should walk in but the blonde perky director of the Lucy-Desi Center who loudly exclaimed, "Ewwwww, it stinks in here! God, it stinks!" Mission accomplished.

It has been an amazing festival... It was great seeing everyone again and making some new fans. Today I did the Lucy art class with Gary Peters Jr, which was very interesting and well done. Then I went off to the live auction (thanks for saving me a seat Brock!)... I'm not going to go into any detail because I'm sure Brock will be posting a much better, in depth recap. But, none of the Lucy related dresses or costumes sold. After that there was the live radio show with Gregg.... it was a lot of fun and Diane finally made an appearance (however, very short). They did a wonderful job as always, especially with the short rehearsal time they have. The member's only archive event was definitely worth the stop. They had Lucy's script, wig, and framed farewell photo signed by the entire cast, John Wayne's pants from The Lucy Show, and the script and set designs from the unfinished movie- Diamond Jim Brady and Lillian Russell. I was glad to see all of these great items! After that we all went to Taco Hut as we talked about above. The last event was Bill Engvall, he was hilarious.... I loved nearly every second of it. Plus, the opener was great too! Once again, it was great to see everyone and can't wait for next year!

But, none of the Lucy related dresses or costumes sold. and the script and set designs from the unfinished movie- Diamond Jim Brady and Lillian Russell. Too bad about the dresses, he he he, and how could the Diamond Jim Brady movie be unfinished, more like UNSTARTED, dontcha thin?

Bill Engvall was in top form tonight. But I believe the best part of the night was when Gypsy had a "celiac episode" at the end of the show and had to use the bathroom rather urgently, and who should walk in but the blonde perky director of the Lucy-Desi Center who loudly exclaimed, "Ewwwww, it stinks in here! God, it stinks!" Mission accomplished.

Was Gypsy's episode a comment on how things have gone so far? When does this thin end anyway? Lucy's birthday is on TUESDAY!

Archived