The Carol Burnett Appreciation Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Still mad at her for not coming to Jamestown, when she appeeared at Chautauqua Institution, about 10 miles away; but, whomever did the lighting on this very interesting interview should be taken out into the public square and shot!!!!  WHAT IS THE H is wrong with her face?  Not to mention her make-up person; can't call them an artist, for obvious reasons; not to ignore the hairstylist either; what a mess..  I am embarrassed for her.

Interesting that Lucille gave a black-tie baby shower for her; never heard THAT story.

Sorry for the RANT; feel a LOT better now.

If Ken had shuffled those damn cards one more time, I was going to turn the thing off!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Julie Andrews is starring a new children's series on Netflix and her chum Carol will be making an appearance!

http://deadline.com/2016/06/julie-andrews-star-kids-series-performing-arts-netflix-jim-henson-company-1201766117/

:HALKING: :HALKING: :HALKING: :HALKING:

Sounds like a fantastic way for youngsters to develop some good taste. Let's hope with that roster of guest stars, Julie is tempted to climb on board for a few episodes of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt next season!

• Like 1

It was basically just Carol introducing a handful of (incomplete) sketches, interrupted by pledge breaks. I think the only complete sketch included was The Dentist.

Yeah, that is disappointing. I adore Carol and her work, but retrospectives and specials on her work tend to be so repetitive.

• Like 1

I looked at the list of sketches featured and figured it wasn't anything special. Those PBS pledge drives drove me INSANE because they always constitute thirty second clips of your favorite shows, interrupted by five minute segments of middle aged women with big glasses and perms answering phones.

• Like 2

Sounds familiar! :blink:

This is true, but Carol herself contributes to it. Lucy's TV career was at least more varied, it's just in this day and age where everyone focuses on "the chocolate factory" and nothing else.

Carol did one show for eleven years and has spent the remainder of her career talking about it, over and over and over again.

• Like 1

This is true, but Carol herself contributes to it. Lucy's TV career was at least more varied, it's just in this day and age where everyone focuses on "the chocolate factory" and nothing else.

Carol did one show for eleven years and has spent the remainder of her career talking about it, over and over and over again.

She does have a habit of keepin' on a subject till it gets sickenin'! :blink:

No, not really...but when you put it in this context, fans and the general public of course are gonna focus on, zone in on what each are most remembered fondly for, right or wrong, as that's just human nature.... I;ve been a fan of Carol's ever since I can remember but despite the critical acclaim etc. for her dramatic turn in such vehicles as "Friendly Fire" and others (i.e. the one she played the alcoholic, I can't remember the name of it at the moment), I don't care if I ever see them again as both were (naturally) painful to watch in many ways; I'd rather think of Carol for all the laughs and pleasant memories (not that I want to take anything away from her as an actress, far from it).

Same with Big Red: despite having seen most of her finer dramatic roles (Big Street first and foremost), I'd much rather think of her in terms of her long-lived Lucy character (even Lucy Barker!) than anything dramatic she ever did (and yes that even includes the overblown, beloved Mame!) :peachonthebeach:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...