What episodes are you watching on "Here's Lucy"?

1 hour ago, Neil said:

You inspired me to watch "Eddie Albert" again.  This was done after "Mame".  Lucy looks SO GOOD, proving once again that the soft-focus shots (at least to that extreme) were not necessary for the movie.  We rarely saw Lucy's still-shapely legs by this time.  The choreography is very similar to the Dan Daily show.  This one was the 7th episode of the season and the first good one--and the first written by Bob & Madelyn.  Their little touches do make a difference: references to real-life.  "Joyce Haber's column" and "I saw him in 'Music Man'", which he did do on-stage.   Eddie does bellow his lines, which according to legend is what Lucy insisted upon, though she herself doesn't do it so much.  The 6th season really pepped up for the remainder of the run.   Since they had Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor in the last 2 seasons, I wonder if they thought of having the Carters visit "Hooterville" for a Green Acres plot.  

When the guest stars for the upcoming season was signed, Bob and Madelyn got their first pick.  So it's surprising that Helen Hayes was written by Fox&Jacobs.  Imagine if they had done a "Celebrity Next Door/Talullah" remake with Helen and Lucy upstaging each other in another Girl Friday Follies show!  With the exception of, I suppose, Steve&Eydie, the roster of 6th season guest stars wasn't exactly from the "A" list: Ed McMahon, Eddie, Chuck Connors,  that Bow Wow Boutique guy, Foster Brooks, Arte Johnson, Andy Griffith, Joan Rivers (before she was really hot), and return visits from Danny Thomas, Milton Berle, Phil Harris, Jackie Coogan of course Frankie Avalon! whose career had peaked 10 years earlier. 

We can't forget OJ- who, to put it mildly, was probably at his most-loved around 1973-74. As far as sixth season guest stars go, it was no small feat to hook Lucille Ball for an appearance!

1 hour ago, HarryCarter said:

I watched the four broken leg story arc episodes, which are all great episodes of the series. I never noticed before that in Harrison Carter, Male Nurse, on her dresser, Lucy has a framed picture of her and the kids dressed as “Ma Parker,” “Herman,” and “Mildred!”

I always wondered if little touches like that were Lucy's idea or one of the props people having a little fun. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On June 16, 2019 at 6:23 AM, Freddie2 said:

Your (hilarious) joke prompted me to look up Janos Prohaska, which I assume I've never done before, because I don't think I knew that the poor guy died in a plane crash in 1974. I'd like to know how he ended up in Hollywood with a career as a proto-Doug Jones.

I think I'd read about his plane crash a while back but forgotten. That's very tragic.

At the risk of being in bad taste... Perhaps his passing in 1974 was what prompted Lucy to end the show.

"Well, if our gorilla guy's gone, show's over. What are we going to do for plots without him!?"

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

I haven't seen an episode of Here's Lucy in nearly five years. I've completely forgotten many of them, especially since I never made it all the way through season six. I must get my DVDs sent here or hunt down the Australian releases. 

In the US of A, Here's Lucy is streaming on Hulu. I don't have every season on DVD, so that's where I go more often than not to see episodes- even the ones I already own. I know that streaming content varies from country to country, so if the show is available in your neck of the woods, I'd recommend doing what a lot of people do- piggybacking on someone else's subscription! If not, it's probably time to start your own LOA (Lotus Overseas Aid) and come to America (if you can stand it) and smuggle your DVDs back in a tuba. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

With recently finding out the wonderful news of Life with Lucy making a splash on DVD this October, I've decided to watch some Here's Lucy as a way to celebrate. I'm currently in the middle of disc three of season four with two episodes left to go. So far, I've watched (or listened to) ...Lucy's Lucky Day, Lucy's Bonus Bounces, Lucy and the Little Old Lady, Lucy and the Chinese Curse, and Lucy's Replacement (one of the series' best). Now watching Kim Moves Out.

• 4 weeks later...

8/19/19:

Lucy, the Sheriff. Watched this one right before I went to work.

8/20/19: Here's Lucy Marathon (before work):

Lucy, the Laundress

Lucy, the Helpful Mother

Lucy and Liberace

Lucy and Lawerence Welk

Lucy and Viv Visit Tijuana

Lucy and Ann Margret

Lucy and Wally Cox

Lucy Takes Over

Least favorites were Lucy and Liberace and definitely Lucy and Ann Margret. Both were basically musical shows. Nothing wrong with that but I want to see Lucy and the Gang having misadventures.

Favorites were Lucy, the Helpful Mother, Lucy Takes Over, and Lucy and Lawerence Welk. Lucy and Lawerence Welk I feel is a special or a must-see episode as it is one of those rare episodes (if not THE only one) where we see Desi Arnaz, Jr., Vivian Vance, and Mary Jane Croft all in one episode. And of course because of Vivian Vance too as she only appears six times in this Lucy series. Not to mention it's more or less a reworking of the classic I Love Lucy episode, Harpo Marx, with Vivian Vance playing the role of Caroline Appleby and Mary Jane Croft playing the role of Ethel. Too bad they couldn't find a way to fit Gale Gordon in this episode. That would have been marvelous. Either way it's a GREAT episode. I would say it's on par with the classic Harpo Marx episode. I'm quite surprised that this particular episode wasn't included in the Ultimate Lucy Collection DVD set. Horrible omission if you ask me.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched Lucy Goes on Her Last Blind Date. Although the too silly last minute of the episode prevents me from putting this in my top episode list, I wish there were more episodes like this one. Lucy is presented as smart and sophisticated, far different from the early episodes of the series. Lucy also looks terrific in the episode. I wish there were were many more episodes with Mary Jane, Vanda, and Sam in the coffee shop. I love Lucy’s interplay with her friends.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

I watched Lucy Goes on Her Last Blind Date. Although the too silly last minute of the episode prevents me from putting this in my top episode list, I wish there were more episodes like this one. Lucy is presented as smart and sophisticated, far different from the early episodes of the series. Lucy also looks terrific in the episode. I wish there were were many more episodes with Mary Jane, Vanda, and Sam in the coffee shop. I love Lucy’s interplay with her friends.

I love ANYTIME Lucy gets to date. Probably why I really like the Trimby episode with Bob Cummings. Another one where she comes off smart and sophisticated. A dating arc would have been wonderfully on this series. We are so far from the 50s that viewers should now have been able to accept her with a serious romantic interest. 

• Like 3

On 9/25/2019 at 8:24 AM, HarryCarter said:

I've probably said this before, but......they cut a cute Lucy bit.   I'm trying to remember the scene:  Lucy is sitting at the restaurant table talking to the waiter.  (I don't think Ben/Don has arrived yet.)  She sipping on a drink with a stalk of celery in it.  Reacting to something waiter said, she misses the straw and instead sucks on celery and pulls it out of the drink to look( in profile) at waiter as the scene ends.  In the aired version, they ended the scene just 5 seconds too soon.   That's my memory of it anyway.  Hope I'm describing so you can visualize.  I like the portrayal of Lucy Carter as sane and mature, but NOT THIS  sane and mature.  She's almost too sedate.  Isn't there a funnier middle-ground between this and "Gorboona"?

The werewolf make up was applied REAL TIME as we listened to Don Knott's Ben-Fred story, with Lucy saying her lines off camera.  (I'll have to come up with a shorthand version of "I've probably said this before, but.....".  Any suggestions?  However,  I figure if any crowd is used to "reruns", this is it).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Absolutely one of their greatest routines. An excellent showcase for both of them.

Indeed, truly one of the best. I was quite surprised that this particular episode didn't make the cut in the Ultimate Lucy Collection DVD set. But not one, not two, but THREE Carol Burnett episodes did ... two of which, IMO, weren't that great. Go figure ...

3 hours ago, Harrison said:

Indeed, truly one of the best. I was quite surprised that this particular episode didn't make the cut in the Ultimate Lucy Collection DVD set. But not one, not two, but THREE Carol Burnett episodes did ... two of which, IMO, weren't that great. Go figure ...

Yeah, the only Carol B. episode I'm fond of is the Secretary Beautiful one. The other two are...okay, IMO. I'm not crazy about musical shows.  

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:04 PM, Mot Morenzi said:

I'm not crazy about musical shows.  

You and me both. It's too bad that both the later years of The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy were saturated with musical shows. At times, it seemed like Lucy wanted her show to be more of a variety show than a sitcom.

13 hours ago, Harrison said:

It's too bad that both the later years of The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy were saturated with musical shows. At times, it seemed like Lucy wanted her show to be more of a variety show than a sitcom.

I always felt it was a symptom of lazy writing.  "Insert song," is much easier than well-written comedy.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:40 AM, RodMcK1 said:

I always felt it was a symptom of lazy writing.  "Insert song," is much easier than well-written comedy.

I know that Lucille Ball liked to do these musical shows as did her kids. I guess she thought that it was her way of "expanding" from her typical sitcom format that everyone was so used to. And I'm guessing her writers took note of that.

On 10/11/2019 at 8:12 AM, Harrison said:

10/11/19 (Friday Morning):

“Lucy and Johnny Carson” (Episode #35)

“Lucy and the Generation Gap” (Episode #36)

“Lucy and the Bogie Affair” (Episode #37)

As "Lucy Makes Room" judge Gale Gordon might say: "Oh you ARE a fan"