Broderick Crawford

I've been catching an episode or two of "Highway Patrol" starring Lucy's sometimes-date Broderick Crawford. It's cheaply produced syndicated schlock with Dragnet-style acting. Amazingly Broderick was only mid to late 40s when this was shot and looks a FULL 20 years older. "Brod" is fascinating to watch, though and his performance holds what little there is of the show together. Never have you heard the combination of rapid speech and marble-mouth, sort of like Jimmy Cagney meets Norm Crosby. HP was rerun for years and probably made him a bundle, but what a comedown for an actor who 6 years previous had won an Oscar, then starred in "Born Yesterday".

And here's an interesting tidbit: Broderick died in 1986, 3 years to the day before his one-time date (steady?) Lucy, April 26th .

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been catching an episode or two of "Highway Patrol" starring Lucy's sometimes-date Broderick Crawford. It's cheaply produced syndicated schlock with Dragnet-style acting. Amazingly Broderick was only mid to late 40s when this was shot and looks a FULL 20 years older. "Brod" is fascinating to watch, though and his performance holds what little there is of the show together. Never have you heard the combination of rapid speech and marble-mouth, sort of like Jimmy Cagney meets Norm Crosby. HP was rerun for years and probably made him a bundle, but what a comedown for an actor who 6 years previous had won an Oscar, then starred in "Born Yesterday".

And here's an interesting tidbit: Broderick died in 1986, 3 years to the day before his one-time date (steady?) Lucy, April 26th .

More than steady, they were ENGAGED to be married. There was this one story that he beat her up to get the ring back, dunno if it's true. Apparently HIS family looked down on her. I never missed Highway Patrol and loved Broderick's ordinary guy next door "LOOK".

More than steady, they were ENGAGED to be married. There was this one story that he beat her up to get the ring back, dunno if it's true. Apparently HIS family looked down on her. I never missed Highway Patrol and loved Broderick's ordinary guy next door "LOOK".

Broderick's mother was Helen Broderick (of Top Hat fame). She introduced Lucy to her son and liked Lucy very much. I think you're thinking of the Ralph Forbes, who came from a famous British family.

Broderick's mother was Helen Broderick (of Top Hat fame). She introduced Lucy to her son and liked Lucy very much. I think you're thinking of the Ralph Forbes, who came from a famous British family.

Thanks, you know how us old coots get our stories mixed up, so why did they break up then? And is the story bullshit about him physically forcing her to give him back the ring?

Thanks, you know how us old coots get our stories mixed up, so why did they break up then? And is the story bullshit about him physically forcing her to give him back the ring?

That's the story I heard too, that he beat the crap out of her to get his ring back. If that's true, what a piece of shit. :lucydisgust:

Never heard or 'read', I should say, the story about his family not liking her; I DID read that she was great friends with his mother.... Also, an actress....ANYONE???? JK

Seems like I recall that DESI ARNAZ got in there somewhere - her meeting him, that is - my, I worded that badly, didn't I? You will see in the next comment I make that I had NOT read down further before I posted, about Brod's mom; HarryCarter did, as well, SO>>>>must be true!

ANYONE? JK

I am sure glad that she gave up getting serious with apes. You got to do what you got to when you are struggling to get up the ladder.

I don't remember what Crawford looked like, was he one of these big handsome-uglies she liked? I know Al Hall was...interesting looking. :lucyhorror:

I don't remember what Crawford looked like, was he one of these big handsome-uglies she liked? I know Al Hall was...interesting looking. :lucyhorror:

Yes, they did look similar, didn't you ever see apic of Broderick? Google him, ugly as sin. Tough guy and scary voice and speech pattern, sorta like her at the end.

Yes, they did look similar, didn't you ever see apic of Broderick? Google him, ugly as sin. Tough guy and scary voice and speech pattern, sorta like her at the end.

Ok, I Googled him. All's I can say is he's definitely a 2-bagger. Or they did it with the lights off. Yikes.

Ok, I Googled him. All's I can say is he's definitely a 2-bagger. Or they did it with the lights off. Yikes.

Well, to be fair, he wouldn't have become a big movie star if he didn't have something about him and also he had this short period where he was suave and debonair, you know from March to April in '42, LOL! :marionstrong:

Well, to be fair, he wouldn't have become a big movie star if he didn't have something about him and also he had this short period where he was suave and debonair, you know from March to April in '42, LOL! :marionstrong:

Alright, so you're saying she was with all these ugly dudes before they got ugly or fat? I'm just gonna believe that so I can rest easier. lol

Here are Lucy and Brod together:

Corbis-U352121ACME.jpg?size=67&uid=db20821b-60dc-426e-8f73-205316756703

The two were guests on The Tonight Show together in 1971. This is during the period that almost no tapes still exist. I'd love to see this one. I wonder if they interact at all.

I would kill to see that too and am shocked she even agreed to be on the show with him as another guest. Guess there were no hard feelings then, but i'm sure they pretended like none of it ever happened, or maybe one of those many instances where Lucy gets off after her interview and she doesn't even see the other guests, unless they saw each other in the green room of course.

Archived