Desi Jr's A WEDDING

C L A U D E

Watched it today, hadn't seen it in ages although i bought it years ago. Harry, was wondering if you could tell me what time this is in Desi jr's life? Set in '77 or '78, what was his condition, drug wise? Is this about the time he did Password with his mom? Who was he married to then? It's one big mess of a film, by famous director Robert Altman who's had masterpiecs adn real crap like Paul Newman's QUINTET, shot here in Montreal. He's had films the critics swooned over like Come Back to the five and dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean with Cher and Nashville with Lily Tomlin. Among many others, some terrific, was Gosford Park his? And many boring as hell. I think he got to be really great at the end of his life.

The cast is just excellent, Carol Burnett and Paul Dooley playing the parents of the bride. Desi's parents are played by two other very good actors, Nina Van Pallandt and Vittorio Gassman, hope i got the names right. Mia Farrow plays a slut. The great Lillian Gish plays the matriarch who dies when the wedding begins, but at home in her bed, she didn't bother attending. A favorite of mine, Cliff Robertson's one time wife the beautiful Dina Merril plays one of Gish's daughters. Dina was on the board of directors of RKO once it came back as a video and movie classic entiry after it was sold to Paramount. Paul Dooley played Dennis Cristopher's dad in the great movie Breaking Away, and they share some screen time here also. I forgot about that terrific ending to the long tedious sometimes boring movie. But it has a great plot, filled with everything but the kitchen sink. At the beginning, in the Church, i saw a woman that looked like the movie star Ruta Lee, but it was not her, same hair though, same beauty.

What did everybody else think of this movie? One time Lucy writer Pat McCormick attempts an affair with Ms Burnett at one point. And i noticed another maybe Lucy connection i did not recall, Tommy Thomson is listed as executive producer and or assistant director, is that OUR Tommy Thompson??? Amy Striker plays the bride, braces and all, most of the women are redheads as they are supposedly Irish while Desi's dad is a mafioso in the restaurant business. Oh and i also did not recall Pam Dawber, billed as Pamela Dawber in her pre Mork and Mindy days as the horsewoman who encounters the best man in the woods. Pam was one of the three ladies serenading Lucy at the Kennedy Center Honors of course maybe replacing Lucie who had just lost her dad.

You bet! One of those movies that gets better and better on many repeated viewings. :D

I know, i liked it the first time, loved it the second and have liked it even more on each repeated viewing, definitely his masterpiece! Should have won the Oscar that year, and his direction also, does anyone know who beat him?

Forgot Howard Duff playing the doctor, he of the Ida Lupino/Duff Lucy Desi comedy hour of course. Geraldine Chaplin, Charlie's daughter, as the wedding planner. It was nice seeing esi getting top billing as this was alphabetical of course. Also forgot Viveca Lindfors and Lauren Hutton who caught the bouquet as the wedding photographer.

So, as you can clearly see, loads and loads of great Lucy connections. My fave being seeing Desi jr dance with his mom in law at the reception, she being played by Carol Burnett, it made you think maybe this happened in real life at his or Lucie's two weddings each.

I know, i liked it the first time, loved it the second and have liked it even more on each repeated viewing, definitely his masterpiece! Should have won the Oscar that year, and his direction also, does anyone know who beat him?

A Beautiful Mind/Opie won Best Picture and Director. :lucydisgust: Gosford's only win that night came in Best Screenplay, which was penned by Julian Fellowes, creator of the brilliant Downton Abbey.

A Beautiful Mind/Opie won Best Picture and Director. :lucydisgust: Gosford's only win that night came in Best Screenplay, which was penned by Julian Fellowes, creator of the brilliant Downton Abbey.

But i think Mr Altman created the story too. I absolutely hated Beautiful Mind and have always said Opie cannot make a decent picture. He's good but not great.

Didn't he win anything else, a Globe, Sag. it must have made all the best of Critics lists.

He got Best Director from the National Film Critics, the Golden Globes, the Chicago Film Critics, New York Film Critics Circle, and best director from the AFI, according to the IMDB.

Watched it today, hadn't seen it in ages although i bought it years ago. Harry, was wondering if you could tell me what time this is in Desi jr's life? Set in '77 or '78, what was his condition, drug wise? Is this about the time he did Password with his mom? Who was he married to then? It's one big mess of a film, by famous director Robert Altman who's had masterpiecs adn real crap like Paul Newman's QUINTET, shot here in Montreal. He's had films the critics swooned over like Come Back to the five and dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean with Cher and Nashville with Lily Tomlin. Among many others, some terrific, was Gosford Park his? And many boring as hell. I think he got to be really great at the end of his life.

Desi wasn't married to Linda Purl yet (that was in 1980). Have no idea whom he was dating at the time. I think he got sober around 1982, so he was still into drugs and alcohol at this time.

I've never seen this movie. I think I need to see it. :)

Desi wasn't married to Linda Purl yet (that was in 1980). Have no idea whom he was dating at the time. I think he got sober around 1982, so he was still into drugs and alcohol at this time.

I've never seen this movie. I think I need to see it. :)

Yes, you do, my favorite scene was him drunk and eventually passed out from alcohol at his wedding and then his best man gets him in the shower to sober him up and that's when his new bride walks in on them. But he was wearing undies in the shower damnit!

Yes, you do, my favorite scene was him drunk and eventually passed out from alcohol at his wedding and then his best man gets him in the shower to sober him up and that's when his new bride walks in on them. But he was wearing undies in the shower damnit!

Well it was only 1977. Can't show male frontal nudity. I wouldn't mind seeing that. He was still pretty hot at that time. Lol

Well it was only 1977. Can't show male frontal nudity. I wouldn't mind seeing that. He was still pretty hot at that time. Lol

Was he ever. Of course i know back then they wouldn't show that, they barely show that NOW. But the best friend whom they've established is gay gets him in the shower to sober im up and they're both wearing underwear, so lame. Not real, know what i mean?

Was he ever. Of course i know back then they wouldn't show that, they barely show that NOW. But the best friend whom they've established is gay gets him in the shower to sober im up and they're both wearing underwear, so lame. Not real, know what i mean?

Yup. I'd settle for some Desi Jr. asscrack even. Help a sister out!

• 2 weeks later...

I remember a newspaper interview with Lucy from 1978 promoting the Nashville show and she commented she was devastated by the ending of A WEDDING, which no one had mentioned to her in advance. I have never seen this movie even though I adore Lillian Gish.

I also read somewhere Lucy wasn't pleased with Desi's JOYRIDE because of the nudity in it, don't know if he's nude in it or not (if so I will have track it down :rolleyes: !!)

I remember a newspaper interview with Lucy from 1978 promoting the Nashville show and she commented she was devastated by the ending of A WEDDING, which no one had mentioned to her in advance. I have never seen this movie even though I adore Lillian Gish.

I also read somewhere Lucy wasn't pleased with Desi's JOYRIDE because of the nudity in it, don't know if he's nude in it or not (if so I will have track it down :rolleyes: !!)

Holy crap, young hot Desi manmeat?! ::salivates::

Archived