• 1 month later...

Mame really has made a resurgence. It might have not been popular when it came out but I think since it was available on VHS and then came onto DVD it really has become popular and "non-Lucy" fans all know the movie Mame with Lucille Ball! In fact most people only know the Mame with Lucy! It's a shame Lucy wasn't around to know how popular the movie became because she really would have been so happy!

Mame really has made a resurgence. It might have not been popular when it came out but I think since it was available on VHS and then came onto DVD it really has become popular and "non-Lucy" fans all know the movie Mame with Lucille Ball! In fact most people only know the Mame with Lucy! It's a shame Lucy wasn't around to know how popular the movie became because she really would have been so happy!

I know, i noticed that too. Just read a bio that quoted Cy Coleman, her songwriter on Wildcat and a legend in musical theater saying that people can overlook the tone of the voice as they are watching because LUCILLE BALL is singing, that's very true, she was like Louis Armstrong or Rex Harrison, they're listening to the legend not a great singer.

I know, i noticed that too. Just read a bio that quoted Cy Coleman, her songwriter on Wildcat and a legend in musical theater saying that people can overlook the tone of the voice as they are watching because LUCILLE BALL is singing, that's very true, she was like Louis Armstrong or Rex Harrison, they're listening to the legend not a great singer.

If I'm not mistaken didn't Lucy comment that Mame sounds like that because she loves to have a few drinks? Don't know where I heard that from but it rings a bell.

• 2 weeks later...

It must have been when she was on hiatis from HL. I always thought Mame was filmed after Here's Lucy ended.

Great question, i know it was in '73 so maybe either before Here's Lucy's last season or in the middle because she had the broken leg at the beginning of that season, right? No wait, that was the previous season, so the end of the fifth then, i think. It takes at least a year for them to prepare the film to come out so she was doing the show as they prepped it and then she did the show plugging it and then the movie came out at Easter '74 and she had finished filming Here's Lucy by then, right?

Great question, i know it was in '73 so maybe either before Here's Lucy's last season or in the middle because she had the broken leg at the beginning of that season, right? No wait, that was the previous season, so the end of the fifth then, i think. It takes at least a year for them to prepare the film to come out so she was doing the show as they prepped it and then she did the show plugging it and then the movie came out at Easter '74 and she had finished filming Here's Lucy by then, right?

I think Harry said once it was filmed January through June 1973.

I think Harry said once it was filmed January through June 1973.

Well, that works for me. You see, she meant loser in the sense that whatever he built up, he'd then tear down and lose, hence her calling him a LOSER but she didn't really mean it in the sense that we know it as now, but rather, oh wait, we were talking about the filming, yeah January to June because she had filmed season five till December and started filming the last season in July '74. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Well, that works for me. You see, she meant loser in the sense that whatever he built up, he'd then tear down and lose, hence her calling him a LOSER but she didn't really mean it in the sense that we know it as now, but rather, oh wait, we were talking about the filming, yeah January to June because she had filmed season five till December and started filming the last season in July '74. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Oh man, don't start that crap again. If you say his name he might come back! lol

There's just something about Lucy in Mame that makes many musical buffs MAD. So mad that they either make stuff up or repeat rumors/speculations as if they were fact.

Among them: Lucy stole the part from Angela. Lucy bought the rights and/or financed the picture (either wholly or in part). Lucy insisted on doing her own singing. Lucy herself requested soft-focus (possible, but unlikely). Lucy had Madelyn Kahn fired because she was too pretty and Lucy didn't want the "competition".

But here's a a new one from Ken Bloom's "101 Greatest Movie Musicals" book.

Mame is the most prominently featured movie on the page entitled "The Worst Movie Musicals"

"When the film opened at Radio City, Lucy took a curtain call and the crowd actually hissed her. Then Bea came on and the crowd cheered. Then back came Lucy and there were more boos."