Here's Lucy... what's goin on?

Hello all, I have all three released DVDs of the Here's Lucy series. I watched some of the clips on before the episode begins.. usually Desi Jr or Lucie tell some behind the sceen story and/or give some background on the supporting cast and other bits of intrest for Lucy fans. I must say tho, being the children of Lucille and Desi it saddens me when some trivial error is made durring their story. I wonder if they wrote what they are saying or if they just read and never bother to check for accuracies. Here we have their comments on dvd.. for all to see and some silly error ruins the credibility for viewers like me. For instance, on one dvd, Desi Jr. is introducing Tennesse Ernie and says he was the only guest star to appear twice on I Love Lucy (I am assuming he means "Tennesee Ernie Visits" and "Tennessee Ernie Hangs On") but what about when they were on their way to Hollywood in the 55 Pontiac and get arrested in Tennessee... ? I think he was on I Love Lucy THREE times, not 2...

Also, Lucie talks about the character actor portraying Uncle Harry's Therapist as the one who portrayed Dore Sharrie(I can't spell!) in "Ricky Needs an Agent"... Dore was played by Philip Oper, Vivian Vance's real life husband... the character actor Lucie is referring to played Walter Riley.... "... then Metro buys the movie rights... and then someone rembers he was released from his contract... they demand to know who released him.. and every finger points to you Walter Riley... they fire you in an instant... and no other studio will hire such a dunce... YOU become a penniless bum...now, I'd hate to go through life knowing that I.. made Walter Riley.. end up in the gutter.." I know this is trivial crap, but what about people who don't read every damn thing printed about this woman! I mean, if these dvds are the only source for some people.. they won't have the correct information! .. anyone else care to share?

Also, Lucie talks about the character actor portraying Uncle Harry's Therapist as the one who portrayed Dore Sharrie(I can't spell!) in "Ricky Needs an Agent"... Dore was played by Philip Oper, Vivian Vance's real life husband... the character actor Lucie is referring to played Walter Riley.... "... then Metro buys the movie rights... and then someone rembers he was released from his contract... they demand to know who released him.. and every finger points to you Walter Riley... they fire you in an instant... and no other studio will hire such a dunce... YOU become a penniless bum...now, I'd hate to go through life knowing that I.. made Walter Riley.. end up in the gutter.." I know this is trivial crap, but what about people who don't read every damn thing printed about this woman! I mean, if these dvds are the only source for some people.. they won't have the correct information! .. anyone else care to share?

I noticed the error when I watched the show. But, I have watched "Ricky Needs an Agent" a trillion times - we quote from that episode daily at my house.( :lol::blink: ). I think she just made a mistake.

I was pretty sure they were just reading material given to them and are not as knowledgeable about her work as die hard fans are. It bothers me a lot more when i read stuff in books i KNOW is not accurate. Her kids are remembering things from forty years ago, i'm sure they are not so big on details, what they SHOULD be telling us are their insights on what it was like back then and what really happened, not so much facts about the shows unless it's been verified and given to them beforehand. It's not always the way we think it was, i'll never forget the shock of hearing them say on Merv Griffin that they had never met Bob Hope before, that was just bizarre.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought you might like to see the artwork for the Australian released:

Here%27s-Lucy-Season-1-1968-69-Front-Cover-17684.jpg

Heres-Lucy-Season-2-1968-Front-Cover-35948.jpg

Heres-Lucy-Season-3-1968-Front-Cover-47428.jpg

Sadly the Lucy Show hasnt made it yet

Triple WOW, what beautiful covers, thanks for showing them. As for Sassafrassa's first post, did Desi jr mention Tennesee Ernie working twice on ILL b ut really meaning Here's Lucy. Yes, he did appear THREE times on ILL but maybe he did HL twice? I know Fun Farm was one, were there any others? When Lucy loved working with someone, she did it repeatedly.

Desi Jr. is introducing Tennesse Ernie and says he was the only guest star to appear twice on I Love Lucy (I am assuming he means "Tennesee Ernie Visits" and "Tennessee Ernie Hangs On") but what about when they were on their way to Hollywood in the 55 Pontiac and get arrested in Tennessee... ? I think he was on I Love Lucy THREE times, not 2...

Also, Lucie talks about the character actor portraying Uncle Harry's Therapist as the one who portrayed Dore Sharrie(I can't spell!) in "Ricky Needs an Agent"... Dore was played by Philip Oper, Vivian Vance's real life husband... the character actor Lucie is referring to played Walter Riley....

You're very sharp to catch all of this. I did not.

This may be trivia, but not crap! If they're going to state facts, it's best to get them straight. I don't know who wrote the intros.

T. Ernie appeared on Lucy's series 5 times: 3 of ILL, a 5th season Lucy Show and this Here's lucy 2 years later.

I love his ILL appearances, but poor TE had the misfortune to be in 2 of the worst episodes of the other 2 series, through no fault of his.

I'll have to think about this: did he guest star more than anybody? I'm not counting Ann Sothern because she was almost a regular (and I wish they had continued with her as a semi-regular); also not counting cameos because Jack Benny made several (how many?)

I think Jack appeared in 7 - 8 "Lucy" episodes:

- Lucy & The Plumber

- Lucy & George Burns

- Lucy Gets Jack benny's Account

- Lucy Visits Jack Benny

- Lucy & Jack Benny's Autobiography

- Lucy & The Celebrities

- The Unemployment Follies

... but I think I'm missing at least one.

Wally Cox appeared in at least five as well.

- Lucy Conducts The Symphony

- Lucy & The Ex Con

- Lucy & Wally Cox

- Lucy, The Diamond Cutter

- Lucy Sublets the Office

- ... am I missing any?

Wow!! I love them, I've never seen them before, I just purchased them from eBay and they are the original covers, I must say the Australian releases are MUCH brighter and in your face, in a good way though.

Really? I keep seeing them in KMart Big W and JB Hifi - They even have the first three seasons of ILL now but they look much the same just in a more condensed plastic case

Really? I keep seeing them in KMart Big W and JB Hifi - They even have the first three seasons of ILL now but they look much the same just in a more condensed plastic case

To be truthful, I haven't made an effort to look for them because I already purchased them from eBay, but I'll take a look anyway the next time I am in one of those shops.

Anybody watch that Lucy/Gary home movie on the extras portion of the first season DVD? I think it's called "The Chase." Kinda bizarre, no? Must've been some kind of inside joke or something. LOL :blink:

Oh yes, was the first thing i watched, gary is so gorgeous and funny, i think they were spoofing French Cinema Verite here. A sort of Lucy/asswipe version of Jules and Jim? :lol:

• 2 months later...

Hey again all... well I have another thing that does kinda bug me.. YOU probably have guessed that I watch Lucy all the time.. and in the last Lucy/Desi hour with Ernie Kovacks, I HATE how we see Ernie's Lincoln Continental often, but when Lucy is the driver and they enter the hotel, through the glass door you see a 59 or 60 white Cadillac!! That just gets me.. WTF?? How can that happen?? It would be like a Lexus one minute and then a Infiniti... anyway.. I know some don't like the episode with Ernie Ford on The Lucy Show.. but ... my favorite line that just cracks me up is when Gale Gordon says "Everything my wife cooks tatses like this!" It cracks me up every time!!! Also reguarding this Lucy Show episode.. when Lucy is portraying Mrs. Mooney.. isn't that the same getup she wore in I Love Lucy Season One's episode where she and Ethel dress up and pretend to be hillbillies?? "What's the matter sonny boy? Kiss me.. C'mon and kiss me... OH boy ma this is fun!!"... YEAH I know.. I watch this stuff too damn much!!

Hey again all... well I have another thing that does kinda bug me.. YOU probably have guessed that I watch Lucy all the time.. and in the last Lucy/Desi hour with Ernie Kovacks, I HATE how we see Ernie's Lincoln Continental often, but when Lucy is the driver and they enter the hotel, through the glass door you see a 59 or 60 white Cadillac!! That just gets me.. WTF?? How can that happen?? It would be like a Lexus one minute and then a Infiniti... anyway.. I know some don't like the episode with Ernie Ford on The Lucy Show.. but ... my favorite line that just cracks me up is when Gale Gordon says "Everything my wife cooks tatses like this!" It cracks me up every time!!! Also reguarding this Lucy Show episode.. when Lucy is portraying Mrs. Mooney.. isn't that the same getup she wore in I Love Lucy Season One's episode where she and Ethel dress up and pretend to be hillbillies?? "What's the matter sonny boy? Kiss me.. C'mon and kiss me... OH boy ma this is fun!!"... YEAH I know.. I watch this stuff too damn much!!

So, how ya been Sass, i noticed your name a while ago and was hoping you'd post something, i have to go watch that bit about the car, can't believe something like that could get on film, GEEZ!

I've been making copies of the 2 RG Brown episodes for my neighbor, so I watched a few around the dates those two aired. I have a Here's Lucy trivia question. Does anyone know just how many times Lucy was fired or quit her job with Harry? It seems to be a VERY common theme.

I've been making copies of the 2 RG Brown episodes for my neighbor, so I watched a few around the dates those two aired. I have a Here's Lucy trivia question. Does anyone know just how many times Lucy was fired or quit her job with Harry? It seems to be a VERY common theme.

Episodes where Lucy gets fired:

"Lucy Protects Her Job" - Harry fires Lucy after trying to be nice too her, but she annoys him too much.

"Lucy and Carol Burnett" (third season) - They don't say why she was fired.

"Won't You Calm Down, Dan Dailey?" - Harry fires her after he overhears Lucy skipped work and went to the beach when he was out of town.

"Lucy's Replacement" - Harry replaces Lucy with Expo III.

"With Viv As a Friend, Who Needs an Enemy?" - Lucy quits when Harry fires her, but she says she'll say she was fired so she can collect unemployment.

Lucy tries to get fired in "Lucy's Vacation," but doesn't. Kim says that Lucy's been fired fourteen times before.

Harry threatens to fire Lucy in "Lucy Goes On Her Last Blind Date" if she doesn't go out with cousin Ben and in "Goodbye, Mrs. Hips" if any of the girls eat his food (he also threatens bodily harm).

Lucy lost her job in "Lucy and Harry's Memoirs" and "Meanwhile, Back at the Office" when Harry sold the business.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some!

Archived