DORIS SINGLETON 1919-2012

Brock

Devastating news -- Doris Singleton has died, according to Variety. :( :( :(

Actress and comedienne Doris Singleton Isaacs, who recurred on "I Love Lucy" as Lucy's near-sighted neighbor and sometimes nemesis Carolyn Appleby, died Tuesday. She was 92.

Singleton guested in a large number of both comedies and dramas during her 30-plus career in television.

After performing as a featured dancer with the American Ballet Theater in her teens, the Brooklyn-born Dorthea Singleton began in showbiz as a vocalist with Art Jarrett's orchestra in the late 1930s. Her distinctive voice led to a career in radio, where she was an actress on "The Whistler" and other shows during WWII, performing at times with the likes of George Burns & Gracie Allens, Bob Hope and Jack Benny.

Singleton met Lucille Ball in the late 1940s during a performance of the radio show "My Favorite Husband"; a few years later, Ball invited Singleton to join the cast of TV's "I Love Lucy" as Carolyn Appleby. Singleton appeared on 10 episodes of the show from 1953 to 1957.

By the mid-1950s the actress was busy with TV guest appearances on programs including "Adventures of Superman," "The Loretta Young Show," "The Great Gildersleeve," "The Bob Hope Show" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents."

Singleton also appeared in a few feature films during the 1950s: "Terror at Midnight," "Affair in Reno" and "Voice in the Mirror."

She was a series regular on the brief 1960 series "Angel," recurred on "My Three Sons" as Margaret Williams and guested on "The Munsters," "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C." during the decade; she also returned to work with Ball on episodes of "The Lucy Show" and "Here's Lucy" as well as the 1980 telepic "Lucy Moves to NBC," and she made appearances on dramas including "Gunsmoke," "Twilight Zone," "The Fugitive" and "The F.B.I."

Her credits during the 1970s included "All in the Family," "Marcus Welby, M.D.," "Phyllis" and the daytime soap "Days of Our Lives." Singleton made one of her last appearances in a 1982 episode of "Dynasty."

Singleton also appeared as an interviewee in the "American Masters" documentary "Finding Lucy" in 2000 and in an "E! True Hollywood Story" episode devoted to "I Love Lucy" in 2005.

Singleton's husband Charles Isaacs, a comedy writer, director and producer to whom she was married for 61 years, died in 2002.

VARIETY: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056028?refCatId=14

:( :( :( :( :(

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still in total shock. We spent a wonderful evening with her only back in March and she was in prime condition, even for recently recovering from hip surgery. A gem of a woman and smart as a whip. FUN and Funny. And what an enormous talent. So glad she had such a fulfilling life all the way til the end. I will miss you so much, Madam D. :(

I was so, so sad to hear this news. :( :( :( :( I was mentioning to my dad earlier just this week how Doris was still alive and how fantastic she looked for her age. I never had the opportunity to meet her, but she seemed like such a warm, vibrant lady. I'm glad she had a long, fulfilling life but I'm still so sorry to see her go. RIP, Doris. :(

Man, I tell you what, once someone dies you hear about another one going the next day it seems. Sad.

Is Keith T. the last surviving cast member of ILL now? :(

No, Shirley Mitchell, who played Marion Strong is still alive. Also, all the actors that played Little Ricky are alive too, plus, a lot of the behind the scenes crew are still alive. My heart just sank when I saw this article on Variety though. They're all gone, the best generation of television and movies, and all we have are the memories and the reruns. :(

To say that the news of her passing saddens me would be an understatement. Caroline was my favorite of Lucy Ricardo's non-Ethel friends. What joy this woman has brought to my life, and yours. Her legacy shall live on in our hears. <3

They're all gone, the best generation of television and movies, and all we have are the memories and the reruns. :(

We've still got some badasses left: Lauren Bacall, Esther Williams, Shirley Temple and Kim Novak to name a few. :-)

To say that the news of her passing saddens me would be an understatement. Caroline was my favorite of Lucy Ricardo's non-Ethel friends. What joy this woman has brought to my life, and yours. Her legacy shall live on in our hears. <3

We've still got some badasses left: Lauren Bacall, Esther Williams, Shirley Temple and Kim Novak to name a few. :-)

Also, Don Grady, who guest starred on TLS as Bill the guitar player in "Lucy is a Chaperone," and of My Three Sons fame died today too!

This is hearbreaking news. Two more pieces of television history gone. Both will live on in reruns, thankfully.

Doris in particular will not soon be forgotten. It's no coincidence that several episodes she did are among the most popular (Lucy & Superman, Lucy Tells the Truth and Harpo Marx). She had the most uncanny ability to play beguiling charm with a sharp undertone of bitchiness that few actresses have matched. And that diamond clear voice of hers which sparred with Lucy so successfully...stuff that can't be faked or duplicated. RIP Lillian/Carolyn Appleby...I'm sure Harpo Marx was waiting for you with his harp to play you on.

I'm shocked my this news. :( I thought Doris would be the female Charles Lane. She seemed as great as ever in the footage of Viv and Bill's TV Academy Hall of Fame induction a few months ago. She was someone I always wanted to meet. Don was so terrific on every show she did. Doris is in three out of my top four I Love Lucy episodes ("Lucy Tells the Truth," "Lucy and Ethel Buy the Same Dress," and "The Dancing Star") and two of my all time favorite Here's Lucy shows ("Lucy Carter Meets Lucille Ball" and "Lucy Gives Eddie Albert the Old Song and Dance.") Doris' "Dick Van Dyke Show" guest spots are especially good.

What a terrific logo, Brock! I especially love the picture of the famous Doris Singleton run. :marionstrong:

Oh no! This is such sad news :( . What a wonderful actress she was. I loved her Carolyn character on I Love Lucy. I was admiring the pictures in the banner when I first got here, thinking Oh, how nice, pics of Doris/Caroline & then I saw the birth & death dates :( .

It is some comfort to know through the many interviews she has given that she lived a remarkable life.

God bless you, Doris, & thanks for everything. Wish I could have met you in person.

Yes it's sad news but one has to consider Doris had exceptionally long life, had a phenomenonally long marriage, and looked absolutely fabulous until the end and was apparently in good health as well into her nineties, clearly a very blessed woman.

And kudos to THE LUCY LOUNGE site managers for not only the lovely collage of Doris throughout her career but the acknowledgement of Don Grady (who had only slight ties to Lucy) on the header as well. You guys are a class act!! I'm sure our Lucy would share tears of gratitude and pride over this site :ill: Tom

Could Doris have been given the only solo physical comedy moment by woman besides Lucy on I Love Lucy? Her scene trying to get her apartment presentable before Lucy arrives in "Baby Pictures" is terrific. I can't think of any other instance where a woman on the show (and that includes Vivian) is given such a physical comedy showcase without Lucy.

And kudos to THE LUCY LOUNGE site managers for not only the lovely collage of Doris throughout her career but the acknowledgement of Don Grady (who had only slight ties to Lucy) on the header as well. You guys are a class act!! I'm sure our Lucy would share tears of gratitude and pride over this site :ill: Tom

Thanks, Tom!

Archived