The Post-Journal

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY – Riverwalk Festival Rescheduled For August 23, by Dennis Phillips - “The Inaugural Great Jamestown RiverWalk Festival has been rescheduled due to inclement weather on the original date of June 28. The festival will have 40+ vendors between Blackstone Building and the train station, lower-level site of The Comedy Center. The sidewalk along the Chadakoin will be bustling today, with food vendors, crafters, games and educational experiences, as well as environmental awareness groups, 10 a.m. To 5 p.m.,” published for this date in 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - Information Center - In Years Past - 100 Years Ago - “In 1915, the Management of the Celoron Theater at Celoron Park [now Lucille Ball Memorial Park], anticipated with good reason, crowded houses throughout the coming week, for one of the most noteworthy attractions of the season having been secured through the consent of the owner to present War Brides, presented by Julia Nash & Co., through special permission of Madame Nazimova, one of the famous emotional actresses of the world,” published for this date in 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Information Center - In Years Past - 25 Years Ago - “Renovations of the Reg Lenna Civic Center [now Reg Lenna Center for the Arts], was slightly ahead of schedule; when completed, will be 'better than before' to the state-of-the-art theater. Grand opening is set for October,” published for this date in 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY – City Officials Looking At Train Excursions, by Dennis Phillips - “A passenger train heading to Buffalo may one day happen again in Jamestown. City officials have been working with Western NY-Pennsylvania Railroad and Southern Tier Extension Railroad Authority, seeking New York State grants set in place by the Governor in 2011, looking to have periodic excursions leaving Jamestown Gateway Train Station,” published for this date in 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Information Center - In Years Past - 25 Years Ago - “In 1990, hundreds of Lucy and Desi wanna-be's, hoping to play the comedy duo in a television movie, Lucy and Desi: Before the Laughter, flooded CBS Television City, Los Angeles, with red hair and broken English, as a nationwide casting search began. The Desi Arnaz warning: 'you gotta lotta splainin' to do', got a workout Monday before a producer and casting director who smiled cheerfully through some painfully-amateurish readings. One truth seemed evident: 'The more the performers looked like Lucille and Desi, the worse their acting was. Some woman dyed her hair red for their slim chance to be in the film; several looked just like the zany comedian; while others bore more of a resemblance to Carol Burnett,'” published for this date in 2015.

Sorry - awol yesterday's P-J entry [7/19/15] - [went to antique car show; what fun]:

The Post-Journal - Jamestown, NY - Chautauqua County Chamber of Commerce by Todd J. Tranum, President and CEO & Executive Director of the Manufacturers Association of the Southern Tier - Comedy is Alive and Well In Jamestown - “The Lucille Ball Comedy Festival has grown over the years, now featuring top-name comedy entertainment and providing a venue to showcase up-and-coming performers. While the Lucy-Desi Museum pays tribute to the life of the Arnazes, the long-term goal has been to fulfill Lucille's legacy by helping to launch newcomers. The next phase of funnywork, the National Comedy Center is another jewel in Jamestown's crown,” published for this date in 2015.

July 20, 2015 -

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Gone But Not Forgotten - Comedy Roundtable To Feature Children Of George Carlin, Harold Ramis, Joan Rivers, by Gavin Paterniti - “Kelly Carlin and Melissa Rivers will be among the featured guests of a Comedy Roundtable that will be held Friday, July 31, at the Reg Lenna Center for the Arts as part of this year's Lucille Ball Festival of Comedy. Also included will be Violet Stiel and Julian Ramis, two of three children of Harol Ramis, comedy writer,” published for this date in 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY – Question Of The Day - “Will you attend the comedy roundtable?”, published for this date in 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY – 'World-Class Attraction' – Conceptual Design of National Comedy Center Exhibits Complete, by Dennis Phillips - “Designs are complete for each exhibit delivering a personal comedy experience to visitors of the National Comedy Center. The room will contain touch screen walls and tables that will deliver a custom-designed personal comedy experience. The first stop will be the world's first Hologram Comedy Club, along with many other surprises,” published for this date in 2015.

• 4 weeks later...

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY Information Center – In Years Past – 50 Years Ago - “A shouting, screaming and kicking melee broke out at the annual Desilu Productions, Inc., stockholders' meeting. Actress-President, Lucille Ball, came through the tiff unruffled. The meeting was interrupted by shouting, boos and hooting, which broke into a brawl in the aisle when a security guard tried to oust a shareholder, John J. Gilbert, of NY, who demanded answers about questions relating to company policy, profits, management, lack of dividends and salaries for executives, including Ms. Ball. Ball intervened in the scuffle and allowed Gilbert to stay in the meeting. They grinned and shook hands afterward,” published for this date in 2015.

• 1 month later...

September 23, 2015:

This is the only way I could post this; by quoting my LAST post in this thread!!!!  SOMEONE WHO HAS TEKKIE SKILLS, HELP!!!!!!  Just moved onward and upward to Windows 10; just copying and pasting is a project!!!!  JK

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY, Six Local Projects Endorsed To Receive State Funding, by Jimmy McCarthy and A. J. Rao, “Two of 6 proposed projects in Chautauqua County, for which the National Comedy Center is being considered; one, a recommendation to receive $2 million for construction of connector building on grounds of the Center, W. 2nd Street, along with funds for the adaptive reuse of Erie-Lackawanna Train Station and former electric public utility building, with $325,000 for development of National Comedy Center Park, adjacent to the Chadakoin River, expected to provide public green spaces residents and visitors can enjoy in variety of activities, including installation of 2 digital screens for outdoor films, including permeable pavement of the Park,” published, 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY, Fenton, Lucy Museum, RTPI To Participate In National Event, “The Lucille Ball Desi Arnaz Museum, and others, will open their doors free of charge Saturday as part of Smithsonian Magazine 11th annual Museum Day Live!, via a download ticket, along with Museums across the United States, which last year received 400,000 day visitors across the nation's member facilities,” published, 2015.

• 2 weeks later...

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Information Center, In Years Past, 25 Years Ago; "Once the name change was approved by general membership, the Little Theatre of Jamestown  was to become the Lucille Ball Little Theatre of Jamestown; Robert Ostrom, president, says name change is 'tribute to Lucille and a natural extension of her association with the Jamestown theater, where she appeared in Jamestown Player's Club [forerunner of the Little Theatre] production of 'Within The Law' at Chautauqua, 1930. Luci(sp) Arnaz is expected to be in Jamestown to receive a JCC honorary doctorate on Lucille's behalf.'" published, 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Warm Welcome, State Comptroller DiNapoli Tours Jamestown Gateway Train Statiion, by Dennis Phillips "Friday, DiNapoli toured several different projects, all part of revitalization efforts for Jamestown, including the Station, the wings of which are part of future National Comedy Center; the Greater Jamestown Riverwalk trail [research: see 'other' connecting informations: 7/16,23/1749; 9/15/1797; 6/1/1812; 10/1/1859; 5/18/1894; 10/1/2004; 8/9,18/2013; 10/14,16/13; 12/12/13; 1/13,17,22/2014; 3/2/14; 4/14,19/14; 5/15/14; 7/16/14; 8/3,6,8,9,11,26/14; 9/9/14; 10/22,28/14; 12/2,12,18,27,30/14; 1/10/2015; 3/4,6,19,28/15; 6/11,24,26,28/15; 7/3,11/15; 8/12,18,19,29/15; 9/22/15], along the Chadakoin River," published, 2015.

• 2 weeks later...

Post Journal, today, 10/11, gives headliner, Behar, 3/4 front page, right; not one word about Lucille Ball; she didn't even know what town she was in; just NYS (shades of Burnett) - in any event, there is not even a mention of what numbers of audience she performed to; so, ('m not going to give it any more of my time!!!!  Boo, hiss! 

Post Journal, today, 10/11, gives headliner, Behar, 3/4 front page, right; not one word about Lucille Ball; she didn't even know what town she was in; just NYS (shades of Burnett) - in any event, there is not even a mention of what numbers of audience she performed to; so, ('m not going to give it any more of my time!!!!  Boo, hiss! 

Well I'm a fan and she plugged it twice last week on The View, mentioning Ball and Jamestown at least once but couldn't remember the name of the theatre. 

The fact she'd "schlepp" from Manhattan to the Jamestown area (I think she mentioned it was about 5 hours away) or that she took this gig at all tells me that at the very least she supports the legacy and is helping promote it by appearing there.

I'd love to see her standup act at least once but with her now back on TV regularly, I doubt she'll be here on the west coast anytime soon! :blink:

Thanks for giving me HOPE, Joey!  I appreciate it.

Meanwhile, here is The Post-Journal poop regarding weekend running festivities:

October 11:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Applause For Behar, 'The View' Co-Host Brings Laughter To Reg Lenna, by Katrina Fuller, “Candid comedian dove straight into politics and her own history, part of the 3rd annual Lucy Town Half Marathon and 5K race weekend,” published, 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, 'Scary Lucy' Returns, Haunting At The Mall Features Spooky Rendition Of Famous Statue, by Mallory Diefenbach, “Haunting at the Mall went piggyback this year to viral exposure to 'scary Lucy' statue in Lucille Ball Memorial Park, earlier in the year, and runs through October, Jessica Pietrikiewicz, an actor playing 'scary Lucy' ” published, 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Sports, 'Fantastic Finish, Spry, Kranzo Are Top Male, Female Lucy 5K Runners,' by Scott Kindberg, “2 late entries, Jamestown male and Ashville female cross the finish line first Saturday morning, among 189 'finishers', out of a field of 218 participants.” 'Race Was On Bucket List For Illinois Woman', by Scott Kindberg, “As children crossed the finish line, Lucy Town Half Marathon and 5K, Julie Haeussler was feet away, playing role Lucille Ball played more than 60 years ago, the candy wrapping episode,” published, 2015.

October 12:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Sports, Running Success, Third Annual Lucy Town Half-Marathon Held Downtown, Never In Doubt, Selke Has Little Problem Claiming Title; Byler Is Women's Champ, by Scott Kindberg, A total of 341 of 387 participants completed the race; Greg Selke, North Chili, NY, [finished second, 2014]; and Trisha Byler, Rochester, NY, winners;” published, 2015.

• Like 1

Joy Behar was hysterical on Sat. night at the Reg Lenna Civic Center.  The bit about not knowing where she was was part of a series of jokes about her being old and forgetful.  But in true Post-Journal fashion, they left that out.  The opening act guy was pretty funny, but Joy was great!  She dished on her View co-hosts (a riot), politics (of course and so much material there), being Italian, taking trips, etc.  It was non-stop laughter.  I was fortunate enough to be invited to the "meet and greet" after the show and have my picture taken with Joy.  She autographed her "Joy Shtick" book for me and was kind enough to autograph her children's book (about a dog) to my sister and my dog, since my sister had to miss the show to stay home and watch over our dog, who was attacked and bitten by the neighbor's dog this past week.  Joy felt bad and made sure to include them in the autograph, which was very nice of her.  It was a terrific evening and rounded out a great triple play of comedy this summer - Seinfeld, Carol Burnett and now Joy.  She has a new show coming on TLC in November and will also be appearing at Chautauqua next summer.

• Like 1

Joy Behar was hysterical on Sat. night at the Reg Lenna Civic Center.  The bit about not knowing where she was was part of a series of jokes about her being old and forgetful.  But in true Post-Journal fashion, they left that out.  The opening act guy was pretty funny, but Joy was great!  She dished on her View co-hosts (a riot), politics (of course and so much material there), being Italian, taking trips, etc.  It was non-stop laughter.  I was fortunate enough to be invited to the "meet and greet" after the show and have my picture taken with Joy.  She autographed her "Joy Shtick" book for me and was kind enough to autograph her children's book (about a dog) to my sister and my dog, since my sister had to miss the show to stay home and watch over our dog, who was attacked and bitten by the neighbor's dog this past week.  Joy felt bad and made sure to include them in the autograph, which was very nice of her.  It was a terrific evening and rounded out a great triple play of comedy this summer - Seinfeld, Carol Burnett and now Joy.  She has a new show coming on TLC in November and will also be appearing at Chautauqua next summer.

Glad to hear how much you not only enjoyed her but how kind she was (and I'm not really surprised)! 

Now what's this about a new show on TLC??? First I've heard of it....can't imagine it being a "House Hunters"-type show or even another interview show, so did she say what it's about?? Thanks for any info!  :vanda:

I believe that Joy's new show on TLC begins on Nov. 4th and it is a half-hour weekly show that is on at 11:00 PM.  It is called "Late Night Joy" and I believe that it is filmed at her NYC apartment and she, along with Susie Essman, are visited by a celebrity quest for a 30 minute gabfest.  It is initially a 5 show order to see if it will work.  If you Google news for Joy Behar, articles about it should come up.  Sounds interesting.

Joy didn't mention it, but I saw it on Facebook just a couple of days before her show here.

I believe that Joy's new show on TLC begins on Nov. 4th and it is a half-hour weekly show that is on at 11:00 PM.  It is called "Late Night Joy" and I believe that it is filmed at her NYC apartment and she, along with Susie Essman, are visited by a celebrity quest for a 30 minute gabfest.  It is initially a 5 show order to see if it will work.  If you Google news for Joy Behar, articles about it should come up.  Sounds interesting.

Joy didn't mention it, but I saw it on Facebook just a couple of days before her show here.

Thanks for this! I'll be staying up late then the nights this airs!! :vanda:

• 4 weeks later...

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, From The Ground Up, Foundation Work Begins At National Comedy Center, by Dennis Phillips, “Start of construction of the National Comedy Center is no longer just a concept; it's a reality. Phase 1 commenced 11/4, by breaking ground before the winter frost, getting a 'jump' on the weather, making it possible to commence construction earlier than expected in the spring of 2016,” published, 2015.

and.....Away we go!!!!​ :fabrary: