The Post-Journal

It might be time to download Firefox or Google Chrome. IE is now obsolete so it might not be compatible with the most up to date software here. Maybe.

Thanks, Brock; I'll do some research.....  Loving you, JK :fabrary:

See, now THIS one went in, NO PROBLEMS....  wonder why Win10 still recommends IE; I'll get to bottom of it...hopefully before they put me in rubber room....

Possibly mistaken but I believe IE is still "around" but renamed Microsoft "Edge" at least if you "upgrade" to Windows 10 (the big "E" logo seems to remain similiar at any rate)! :blink:

That's what shows on Win 10 - Microsoft Edge; it also offers an 'assistant'; which I promptly turned off; perhaps, I should turn her back on????  Thanks, Joey and Brock; any other info will be greatly appreciated.  Loving you, JK :fabrary:

This one went in without a problem....

That's what shows on Win 10 - Microsoft Edge; it also offers an 'assistant'; which I promptly turned off; perhaps, I should turn her back on????  Thanks, Joey and Brock; any other info will be greatly appreciated.  Loving you, JK :fabrary:

This one went in without a problem....

Joyce, it's hard to speak to this since I've not gotten totally familiar with "Edge" given I just upgraded it on my laptop (which I use sporadically); but "Corsicana" or whatever the assistant is called drove me nuts so I turned it off ASAP!

Between using 3 different computers regularly (work/home desktop/laptop) and they all have their own "peculiarities", it gets harder and harder to keep up with all these different animals!  Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to not have so many different options!! :blink:

Joyce, it's hard to speak to this since I've not gotten totally familiar with "Edge" given I just upgraded it on my laptop (which I use sporadically); but "Corsicana" or whatever the assistant is called drove me nuts so I turned it off ASAP!

Between using 3 different computers regularly (work/home desktop/laptop) and they all have their own "peculiarities", it gets harder and harder to keep up with all these different animals!  Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to not have so many different options!! :blink:

Joey:  Thanks for this post; I turned HER OFF IMMEDIATELY, AS WELL.  Apparently, though,  you MUST start off with the Edge, as when you turn machine on, that's what you GET; then, move on to 'other' sites; okay, I get THAT!  You mention (or someone did) an upgrade(?) to IE????  How would one go about THAT; and WHY in the world wouldn't Win10 already have the upgraded IE?

As you can tell, I'm no tekkie; just want to open the machine and get what I need to reach the outside world without a lot of swear words, which I hear coming out of my mouth and don't recognize :HALKING: 

Meanwhile, below is P-J about the Arnazes from 75 years ago!

Loving you, JK :fabrary:

The Post-Journal, In Years Past, 75 Years Ago, "In 1941, Danton Walker, Broadway columnist of the New York Daily wrote that Jamestown's lovely Lucille Ball and her recently-acquired husband were 'on the verge.'  Another Broadway columnist said the Jamestown native was pressured into marrying Desi Arnaz by a film company.  'Now that the Lucille-Desi marriage has drived up the well of 'romance' publicity, they are sabout to tap that ever-vernal spring labeled 'rift rumors,' Walker wrote,'" published, 2016.

Joey:  Thanks for this post; I turned HER OFF IMMEDIATELY, AS WELL.  Apparently, though,  you MUST start off with the Edge, as when you turn machine on, that's what you GET; then, move on to 'other' sites; okay, I get THAT!  You mention (or someone did) an upgrade(?) to IE????  How would one go about THAT; and WHY in the world wouldn't Win10 already have the upgraded IE?

As you can tell, I'm no tekkie; just want to open the machine and get what I need to reach the outside world without a lot of swear words, which I hear coming out of my mouth and don't recognize :HALKING:

Meanwhile, below is P-J about the Arnazes from 75 years ago!

Loving you, JK :fabrary:

I'm not exactly a techie either but I'm probably not very clear but by upgrade I meant the version of Windows that I had on my laptop; it being only a few years old had come installed with (I think) Windows 7 and I kept getting alerts that being my machine wasn't very old, I was entitled to get the newly-released Windows 10 for free....so I did, which meant that Internet Explorer (Windows browser) "went away" and was replaced with The Edge (the both utilize that big "E" for their logo/shortcut, which just makes it more confusing for us simple folk!)....

Not to confuse you more but you do realize I hope that once you're on the internet, you can look (e.g. Google or Bing search) for OTHER browsers you can download and use afterward instead of (or in addition to) The Edge, such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox of Apple's Safari, to name a just a few....I've come to prefer and use Firefox more often than not but now when I'm on my laptop I'm using The Edge more and more and becoming used to it. 

Good luck! :vanda:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Lynn Development LLC (Gary Lynn, who offered Rite Aid Bldg to Center [now Desilu Playhouse]; and there are some CRAZY stories attached to this 'gift' to arrdubya and associates, by employees and others who knew the facts!!), are planning to buy Sheldon House, where many after-hours events and cocktail parties were held early days of Center, awa $100 meet & greets, is seeking to purchase said building (owned by Jamestown Community College) for $240 thousand for use as its corporate offices," published, 2016.

NOTE:  further details as they become available; but, the history of the building is this:

Building, 9 Falconer St., built, as a residence, 1869; later rebuilt, 1925.  1977, Sheldon House given to College by Julia Sheldon Livengood; has since been used to host many guest of college as well as for events and programs of both community and college.

January 12, 2016 [didn't get to this yesterday, 12th....]  for those of you interested: [and shortened for effect....]

The Post-Journal:  Years Past, 5 Years Ago:  "L-D Center Board announced 'a very special year' began with entrance of new executive director Gunderson, who had been working as marketing consultant since 2009.  The position became vacant when Corie Curtis stepped down in July, after 12 months," published 1/12/2016. 

The Post-Journal, Years Past, 5 Years Ago:  "The Cuban song, Babalu, might have been Desi Arnaz signature song on TV's ('I Love Lucy'); but, in downtown Jamestown, it is a café.  Next to Lucille Ball Little Theater, ribbon-cutting took place opening Babalu Café; owner says 'business has been good,'" published, 2016.

[ignoring above date; only way I could post today was quoting myself from last post!!!] ^_^

January 20, 2016:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, A Valentine's Day Evening of Comedy, with Rocky LaPorte, 2/14; cocktails, dinner, show; [optional tickets sales, without dinner]; little change-up this year, 'clean, blue-collar' Comedy Night occurring, 7 p.m., historical Willow Bay Theater; [preliminaries, 5:30:  cash cocktail hour, as usual, dinner, photo op; tickets $17.50, 37.50 [w/dinner];" published, 2016.

• Like 1

Sounds like fun...wish I could attend. 

[ignoring above date; only way I could post today was quoting myself from last post!!!] ^_^

January 20, 2016:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, A Valentine's Day Evening of Comedy, with Rocky LaPorte, 2/14; cocktails, dinner, show; [optional tickets sales, without dinner]; little change-up this year, 'clean, blue-collar' Comedy Night occurring, 7 p.m., historical Willow Bay Theater; [preliminaries, 5:30:  cash cocktail hour, as usual, dinner, photo op; tickets $17.50, 37.50 [w/dinner];" published, 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Information Center, In Years Past, 10 Years Ago; "The L-D Center granted control of 1st Lucille Ball Hollywood contract, 7/11/33, with Goldwyn, Inc., LTD., guaranteeing Lucille railroad transportation between NY and LA and $60/wk for role of showgirl in Eddie Cantor's Roman Scandals," published, 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

February 13, 2016:

The Post Journal, Jamestown NY - [interesting headline this morning:]  Valentine's Day Performance by Last Comic Standing Finalist - [no time this a.m.; but, will get to it later; performance tomorrow in any event; perhaps, tickets remain????]

The Post-Journal, [haven't seen this in print prior; so, to me, this one IS a surprise, as well:]

​Moving Forward - Comedy Center Operating Train Station, by Dennis Phillips, AND second headline:  Train Station General Manager Terminated, by Dennis Phillips​!!!!

Both shocking articles, in my opinion; will get to these later today - stay tuned!!!!  jrk :fabrary: 

​

February 13, 2016:

The Post Journal, Jamestown NY - [interesting headline this morning:]  Valentine's Day Performance by Last Comic Standing Finalist - [no time this a.m.; but, will get to it later; performance tomorrow in any event; perhaps, tickets remain????]

The Post-Journal, [haven't seen this in print prior; so, to me, this one IS a surprise, as well:]

​Moving Forward - Comedy Center Operating Train Station, by Dennis Phillips, AND second headline:  Train Station General Manager Terminated, by Dennis Phillips​!!!!

Both shocking articles, in my opinion; will get to these later today - stay tuned!!!!  jrk :fabrary: 

​

I'm back; Valentine's Day Comedy/dinner/tour - no changes

Moving Forward (here's what I find shocking; since I have not been hearing, remembering, or knowing about any part of this:  [in other words, it's NEWS to me!!!!] 

"Operating:  - It seems the Center is operating the TRAIN STATION!  Thought only wings were being used for NCC; apparently, I'm mistaken; and that's no surprise; since, I'm old; and very nearly always mistaken (ala Lucy!!!!) :HALKING:

Shortening, for effect:

"Center officials are now operating the Jamestown Gateway Train Station)​;"

[now, THAT got my attention at 5:45 this morning!!!!

"Center officials announced Friday (2/12) they have leased the train station for housing visitor attractions for planned national venue based on celebration of comedy.  News release states rental opportunities for station will continue throughout 2016.  Construction of NCC exhibits in wings were planned to have been done second half of this year. 

As more detail work done on construction plans, it  became evident, work will be done in wings of station, not scheduled to start until 2017.  Center is now including construction of new building will be entrance; connecting to already-built former Jamestown Board of Public Utilities substation; connecting to east wing of Station.  Spring 2017 was target date for center to open.  Now, with more detailed information, projections are the Center will open late summer, early fall, 2017.  There has now been a 'refinement of the initial plans' that are now 'more fact-based'  Sequence is now how we have to manage process from construction standpoint to utilization of grant funds standpoint 'a complicated matrix to make it all work.' 

'Now, with NCC officials operating the train station, they are able to package all attractions together. (the rentals of the available space will be Center $$; this includes the Station and Park areas).  [This is how this reader analyzes the verbiage and my OWN feeling/opinion . . .ONLY).

To continue:

Oddly, this is very near the end of the above, front-page, news story:  [i'm assuming something about 'storing' and/or using Staton facilities for what is NOW Museum/Shop/etc., are going to be done at Station.  To make move more smoothly accomplished; the Center in charge now, will be getting rental $$ rather than (whomever owns the Station now)  I'm really confused here; but, will fix my feelings as more information comes forth.

Since the 'other article' Train Station General Manager Terminated, also front page - HAS to be connected some way:  Here we go again:

Lee Harkness, once, for many years, E.D. Downtown Jamestown Development Corporation; then, appointed General Manager, Jamestown Railway Station is done end of February, (all without explanation why Center officials did not hire him, as I feel they might have); not sure WHO paid him; City, I am guessing; really confused at this point)  Apparently, now, Center 'staff' will manage the station and integrate it into the NCC, along with the NCC Park and the Museum and Center for Comedy.  The trolley restoration project, involved since 1996. moved to Station lower area, 2013, is part of the historic Train Station will also be affected; but, not this year, and not until the Center needs if for restoration in THAT area.

I PERSONALLY FORESEE DIFFICULTIES; BUT, POLITICS IN JAMESTOWN IS ANOTHER THING; AND THE CENTER HAS BECOME POLITICAL AS FAR AS THIS WRITER IS CONCERNED.  I'm WATCHING CLOSELY/  And, I'll be BACK 

Respectfully submitted, JRK

I visited the station when I was up last month and we had a nice chat with one of the guys working on the trolley restoration project. They look to be doing some good work on it but slow.

Yeh, luvs; that's one of the parts that worries me; I'm hoping with all my heart, our beloved (and Lucille's) train station becoming NCC will NOT affect that project; plus a few other things. 

I'm all for the historic station becoming a tribute to the Arnazes in such a BIG way; but, worry about so many 'political' things going around Jamestown, hope it's not taken over ENTIRELY......in a historic significance, that is....

Yeh, luvs; that's one of the parts that worries me; I'm hoping with all my heart, our beloved (and Lucille's) train station becoming NCC will NOT affect that project; plus a few other things. 

I'm all for the historic station becoming a tribute to the Arnazes in such a BIG way; but, worry about so many 'political' things going around Jamestown, hope it's not taken over ENTIRELY......in a historic significance, that is....

February 13 - Post-Journal - Question of the Day, "Have you visited the Jamestown Gateway Train Station?" - 2/14/16 stats:  "Yes 39%; No; 61%

February 15 -The Post-Journal Wedding Planner, 2016 - Ad:  "Have your Hollywood Wedding . . . In Jamestown!  voted #1 thing to do in Jamestown, NY on TripAdvisor - Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum, 2 W 3d St., Historic Jamestown Gateway Train Station & Comedy Center Park, 211 W 2d St. To rent the Museum, Train Station or Patio, contact:  716-484-0800 or dthurn@comedycenter.org.

• 3 weeks later...

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Information Center, In Years Past, 50 Years Ago; “Lucille Ball has become latest contributor to Gustavus Adolphus Children's Home building fund drive. 1/2 the gift came from her personally; the other from Desilu Productions, which she headed; published, 2016.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Editorial Page, Partnership Can Help Accomplish Long-Held Goals, "We're not sure why it hadn't happened (100 years ago/my submission :HALKING:)​ 'Jamestown Riverfront Management Council is interested in joining the Chautauqua Lake and Watershed Management Alliance.  Council believes the BPU and City of Jamestown share a common interest and is directly connected by the Chadakoin River through its environs and Warner Dam through its management with Chautauqua Lake and its watershed,' Bill Stevenson, president.

Outside consultants have said for years (yeh, 100-PLUS/me again :HALKING:), Jamestown must do a better job of using its connection to the water, both River and Lake.  Perhaps membership of the JRMC and BPU Strategic Planning Committee in the Chautauqua Lake & Watershed Management Alliance can help accomplish this long-held goal,'" published, 2016. [me, again; blows my mind all my adult life I didn't realize :angry:hadn't been partners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :HALKING:

​Politics - BAHHHHH

• Like 1