The Post-Journal

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Information Center, In Years Past, 5 Years Ago, “Exterior work silent from fallen snow; but, interior, Erie Lackawanna Train Depot a hive of activity. After years of planning; a near year on-site work, future of Jamestown landmark becomes clear. Those involved in restoration, finished product call this marriage of historic accuracy with modern amenities, utilities to serve commercial tenants, public. Looking at completion by 7/1, Lee Harkness, project coordinator, project funding, Downtown Jamestown Development Corporation, estimates it's 60% complete; [now, all-important part, National Comedy Center]; [see Riverwalk Project each month through document, except November]; 2016.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Developing Twins, Public Information Held To Discuss Jamestown Riverwalk Pedestrian Bridges, by Dennis Phillips, “Pedestrian, inc. handicapped/bicycle bridges are important parts of Greater Jamestown Riverwalk; the National Comedy Center, at historic Jamestown Gateway Train Station, downtown Jamestown; a $2 million project connecting Riverwalk sections running along each shore, Chadakoin River. Phase VII, Riverwalk, expected to commence construction this year, that being a bike path from McCrea Point Park to Lucille Ball Memorial Park;” [see at least 58 informations, this document, regarding historic area, from founding and continuing; excepting month of November to this point]; published, 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

This may only be of interest to Jamestown visitors; but, thought it of interest:  [Jim Roselle has died, 89]:

Jamestown Gazette, The People's Paper, Vol. 4, No. 29, “Jim Roselle: Best Times of My Life, A Memoir by Jim Roselle [4/15/26-3/23/2016] with Walt Pickut, “Everybody wants to know man who knows everybody. Meet Jim Roselle. Jim's life story now in print. Best Times of My Life tells his story, Depression-era boyhood in humble Jamestown neighborhood to journalistic and broadcasting experience interviewing most-famous people on Earth. Jim has been present, a 'fixture' on local radio station, WJTN a.m., Jamestown, 60+ years; inducted into NYS Broadcaster Hall, Fame, 2010; will be celebrated personally several Jamestown locations this summer, various interviews, book-signings. Jim was prominent in Arnazes, Forever Darling world premiere, 1956, visit;” published, 2014.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Lynn Development LLC (Gary Lynn, who offered Rite Aid Bldg to Center [now Desilu Playhouse]; and there are some CRAZY stories attached to this 'gift' to arrdubya and associates, by employees and others who knew the facts!!), are planning to buy Sheldon House, where many after-hours events and cocktail parties were held early days of Center, awa $100 meet & greets, is seeking to purchase said building (owned by Jamestown Community College) for $240 thousand for use as its corporate offices," published, 2016.

NOTE:  further details as they become available; but, the history of the building is this:

Building, 9 Falconer St., built, as a residence, 1869; later rebuilt, 1925.  1977, Sheldon House given to College by Julia Sheldon Livengood; has since been used to host many guest of college as well as for events and programs of both community and college.

Follow-up on above article regarding the Mansion (many of you who visit Jamestown, know the building; late night, celebrity meet and greet(s), were held here:

Lynn Development Inches Closer to Sheldon House Purchase, by Katrina Fuller, "Group looking forward to moving into Sheldon House.  Group put in offer of $240,000 earlier on well-known property, to be used as internal corporate offices.  An appearance before zoning variance board may occur in May.  If approved, a few short-term improvements will be made before they can move in." published 3/24/2016.

For those of you who come to Jamestown and KNOW the lack of proper downtown hotel rooms; Holiday Inn information:

The Post-Journal, 3/28/2016:  IDA Approves Loan, Tax Incentives For Hotel Project, by Jimmy McCarthy, "The Chautauqua County Industrial Development Agency (IDA) Board approved an Al Tech loan, with built-in tax incentive for full-service Doubletree by Hilton hotel, old Holiday Inn (and other names over the years), 144 guest rooms; pool, bar, grill, exterior façade and streetscape improvements will commence by winter, with scheduled completion 12 months thereafter.  Leased parking in the immediately-adjacent parking ramp will improve the limited parking space available on the Hotel lot presently," published, 2016.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Information Center, In Years Past, 10 Years Ago, “2006, boating down the Chadakoin River, adding floors to Jamestown buildings and slicing out vestiges of Brooklyn Square's broken industrial backbone are parts of a vision the Goody Clancy design group, Boston, put to paper. Suggestions are far from final goals; ultimately will be determinative of Jamestown future Gebbie Foundation says will happen;” published, 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

April 12, 2016 - The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Master Planner, Reg Lenna Center For The Arts Exec. Dir. Describes Renovations, by Gavin Paterniti, [shortened for effect] - Good news for improvements to the Reg: "Two years under her belt as director, Kathleen Eads, has BIG plans for the local arts hub;  40,000 Sq. Ft., historic space; theater; includes 7 total buildings.  Swanson building; elevator building; administrative building; theater; lobby; Master Plan & stages:  everything to be refurbished, keeping all historically respectful; 'my feeling:  to put a roof on it; heat it; cool it; you should be making $$ off it.' Move 3rd floor gallery down to street level (w/coffee bar, open every day) 2d floor/w/library, to become social, pre-performance place for rentals; double doors in lobby for energy efficiency; move concessions bar; ticketing in rear of lobby; break into next door & expand lobby; addition of more office space; new multimedia studio for WRFA, an open door to rest of world.  Budget:  $4 million; $2 million already identified; estimated time of construction commencement:  October;"  published, 2016.

See LucyFest 2016 thread -  information - [saved me a TON of typing]

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Question of the Day:  "Are you excited about the headliners for the LucyFest?"

(Wait'll you see the stats on this one!!!!)

YES  26%    NO   74% -

SINCE WHITTAKER DOESN'T RETURN MY PHONE CALL MESSAGES, I'M NOT GOING TO TRY ANYMORE GETTING THE NUMBERS; SHOULD REPORT HIM; BUT, I'M SURE THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT HIM; SO, WON'T.... UNLESS I GET MORE PISSED THAN I ALREADY AM FROM PAST IGNORING OF PHONE MESSAGES....  :HALKING:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Train Momentum Still On Track, Editorial, "Those  looking for proof of Jamestown's love of trains don't know Lee Harkness.  The man served as Jamestown Gateway Train Station general manager from the facility reopening until the National Comedy Center took over operations this year continues to keep the area's train momentum on track.  The comedy center leasing the station, Harkness lost his job and could've easily let the city's passion for trains slowly fade into history.  Instead, Train Day continues, this year in conjunction with the other County City, Dunkirk (about 45 minutes north from Jamestown, on Lake Erie) May 14-15.

While the incoming NCC will certainly draw plenty of visitors, the regional love of trains remains strong and should be a tourism focus area for city leaders.  We wish Harkness and the Jamestown Engine Barn Committee well and hope the city remains a notable stop for train enthusiasts for many years to come.

EDITORIAL interest of my OWN:  Been talking to a 'Jamestown politics watcher of many years' who is not only interested in Lucille Ball legacy; but, in what has happened to Lee Harkness politics-wise:  I'm continuing to pursue my interest along the following lines:

If each of you will remember who care to remember, Lee was Exec. Dir., Downtown Jamestown Development Corp., many years;**** [seemingly fell out of favor with someone (trying to get to THAT name); ousted out of that entity; then, exiled, seemingly on a 'let's PUT him somewhere'; mgr. vacant Train Station; now exiled out of there!!!!!  - Keep your minds open, if interested, trying to get to the bottom of his seemingly odd 'change of employment(s)' recent many years.

****was on the Board of Directors, L-D Museum et all, after the great fire for a short time, as well; getting MORE INTERESTING???

• Like 1

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Information Center, In Years Past, 10 Years Ago; "2006, David Weatherly-carved life-size wooden Lucille Ball blue polka-dot dress statue, sitting atop a stump of wood, near entrance to Lucille Ball Memorial Park, is enjoying its final Celoron days, where it's been for nearly 5 years.  Village officials, apparently at family request, will auction the statue off on e-Bay;" published, 2016.

• 3 weeks later...

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, NCC Acquires Carlin Archives, by A. J. Rao, "Thanks to the National Comedy Center [a nonprofit cultural institution dedicated to the celebration of comedy] [editorial comment:  'see ANY mention of Lucille Ball??????'] and Carlin's daughter, Kelly Carlin, the work of the legendary comedian [would have turned 79 today:  5/11/2016] is expected to live on forever.  The NCC would acquire archives of late Carlin for its forthcoming museum experience, scheduled to open in 2017.  This includes:  creative files, annotated set lists, handwritten journals, scrapbooks, awards, letters, clothing, arrest records(!) and countless hours video, audio recordings, both released, unreleased material.

​'I can think of no other place for my dad's legacy to be permanently honored, archived and preserved for future generations.' (Kelly Carlin);" published, 2016.

The Post-Journal, 5/15/16:

Full-Steam Ahead:  National Train Day Draws Crowds Into Downtown Jamestown, by Katrina Fuller, "5th Annual National Train Day held Jamestown Gateway Erie Train Station; offered visitors wide array activities; a huge success;' Lee Harkness, Event Organizer.  Between 13-14 hundred attend, with 50+ (toy train) vendor tables.  There occurred an American Train Robbery and mock battles; 1860s re-enactments; music; refreshments; later, 1860's cocktail hour; classic car show, along 2nd St.  Trolley Car Project trustee/founder, is grateful to National Comedy Center allowing Trolley Car 93 project to remain in train station; but, uncertain about future location of same;" published, 2016.

I just pray someone comes forward to save the Project; without the storage facility (taken over by Center officials); it needs a safe haven; close to the tracks; someone needs to help.   I'm holding my breath; will keep interested folks informed when I hear anything.....  Thanks for the thought.  JK

• 3 weeks later...

The Post-Journal, by Dennis Phillips, $10M Downtown Plan Completed, "Before Governor's Downtown Revitalization Initiative was included in final state budget, Jamestown officials worked collaboratively to produce plan to be the $10M recipient for Western NY Regional Economic Development Council.  Official says one reason he believes Jamestown has a quality chance is because several community foundations, stakeholders assisted in composing plan; all working together; most important aspect of it all.  Community selected will be made known early summer 2016;" published, 2016.

• 3 weeks later...

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY,

Peace Flags Artist Donates Lucy Painting to Museum, by Dennis Phillips, “Joseph Lawrence Vasile, says peace, flags, Lucy are 3 subjects that have been relevant his career. Latest Lucille Ball painting 'Hidden Klown', 2nd work donated to Museum/Comedy Center. First donated, 2001, 'Lucy.' The Manhattan Mirror, 1996, working on Lucille-themed edition, ran into Vasile, with illustration of Lucy from different (“I Love Lucy”) episodes. 'Hidden Klown', Vitameatavegamin, Passports, depictions of Lucille fearlessness. Vasile hosted a peace flag workship with Museum/Comedy Center interns, a 6-year initiative creating 12 thousand-plus flags;” published, 2016.

The Sunday Post Journal, Jamestown, NY, [shortened for effect] NCC Entrance, Train Station Connector to be Constructed This summer, by Dennis Phillips, "By fall, there will be more tangible proof NCC will one day be reality.  The Center entrance building and a walkway connecting former BPU Building and Jamestown Gateway Train Station  should be done late summer, early fall.  The connecting structure will include stairway, elevator allowing people to go from 2nd St., to Comedy Center Park, located behind train station, lower level.  Existing patio will be extended to the east toward new connector.  In the fall, next phase will start, a new park along 2nd St., by entrance, completed in spring; assisting those not entering NCC, to view high-def screens for movie night or watch a live performance.  Spring 2017, attractions begin installation(s).  Center will open late 2017. The NCC is designed to be a national attraction based on the celebration of comedy; the craft and its contributors, and embodies Lucille Ball's vision for her hometown of Jamestown;" published, 2016.

Article this morning's Post-Journal:  [for those of you coming here looking for available rooming needs] regarding the Holiday Inn, Ramada Inn, whatever else it's been called over many years:

(Personally, I believe good old Jamestown Politics as usual is holding this thing up:)

Article says, City Council must [vote on:  yet again], more details of 'build/re-build' of same; 

The 'holding company' has had purchase 'possession' SEVERAL YEARS already!!!!! 

WTF!!!!!!  [and....that's where this comment belongs!!!!!!!]