OTHER FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO DIED

C L A U D E

Apparently, there are other stars who pass away but aren't BIG enough to warrant their own threads, so perhaps we could list them in this thread. . . . . Actress Deborah Raffin, just passed away Wednesday of leukemia at the young age of 59. Famous for her roles in many tv shows and films, like Once is not Enough, the actress had been Allan Carr's second choice for the role of Sandy in Grease. Susan Day of The Partridge Family was his first choice but she passed on the role and Allan then met Olivia Newton John at a party at Helen Reddy's house and got the role. Ms Raffin died at the UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles.

• Like 2

Other roles for the sometime director were The Dove, The Sentinel, Forty Carats. Her husband passed away in 2009, she had one child. She also starred in Noble House and the recent tv series Secret Life of the American Teenager. She was nominated for a Golden Globe award for Touched by Love. She was diagnosed with the blood cancer about a year ago.

Deborah Raffin was originally cast as Neil Diamond's co-star in The Jazz Singer. Production was problematic at the start and she was released from the picture. Lucie eventually replaced her.

Really? Had no idea. I think she was one of the models on that fashion show segment of one of the Night of 100 stars shows. I seem to recall her looking all flower child hippie type in an evening gown. She sometimes reminds me of Bo Derek, that same innocent beauty.

I remember Ms. Raffin very clearly for "Once is Not Enough," a steamy potboiler from the 70s. She had a distinctive look--almost preppy, with her light blonde hair and sharp features. To die so young is really a tragedy.

I know and she was gorgeous too, i also remember her in that movie. Very good actress also.

Apparently, there are other stars who pass away but aren't BIG enough to warrant their own threads, so perhaps we could list them in this thread. . . . . Actress Deborah Raffin, just passed away Wednesday of leukemia at the young age of 59. Famous for her roles in many tv shows and films, like Once is not Enough, the actress had been Allan Carr's second choice for the role of Sandy in Grease. Susan Day of The Partridge Family was his first choice but she passed on the role and Allan then met Olivia Newton John at a party at Helen Reddy's house and got the role. Ms Raffin died at the UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles.

This is a very good idea for a thread, a lot of Hollywood names wouldn't be getting their own threads here when they pass away unless they are Lucy or sitcom related so it will keep us up to date on those less famous people who have recently died.

Regarding Ms. Raffen, she is kind of unique being one of the very few newcomers in the 70's to be pushed to stardom in their very early 20's, think that was the era when movie stars began to get older than they had been in the past. It's hard to believe she was only 59 given her film career started almost 30 years ago and she was perhaps at her most famous right off the bat with ONCE IS NOT ENOUGH.

I read she and her husbands were pretty much the leaders in the books-on-tape industry so I suspect she made far more money from that venture than from her Hollywood career. She was very Grace Kellyesque, probably hard to cast in the "down to earth" 70's and anyway like I said very few major roles back then for 20something women and fewer for guys in that age range.

This is a very good idea for a thread, a lot of Hollywood names wouldn't be getting their own threads here when they pass away unless they are Lucy or sitcom related so it will keep us up to date on those less famous people who have recently died.

Regarding Ms. Raffen, she is kind of unique being one of the very few newcomers in the 70's to be pushed to stardom in their very early 20's, think that was the era when movie stars began to get older than they had been in the past. It's hard to believe she was only 59 given her film career started almost 30 years ago and she was perhaps at her most famous right off the bat with ONCE IS NOT ENOUGH.

I read she and her husbands were pretty much the leaders in the books-on-tape industry so I suspect she made far more money from that venture than from her Hollywood career. She was very Grace Kellyesque, probably hard to cast in the "down to earth" 70's and anyway like I said very few major roles back then for 20something women and fewer for guys in that age range.

Very true, everything i read on her mentionned those bboks on tape thing, i think she was divorced from that husband though. There was this older British actress who passed last week, i thought that young British monarchist leader of this site would bring it up but he didn't and now i've forgotten who she was.

Very true, everything i read on her mentionned those bboks on tape thing, i think she was divorced from that husband though. There was this older British actress who passed last week, i thought that young British monarchist leader of this site would bring it up but he didn't and now i've forgotten who she was.

Dinah Sheridan -- I only know her from her one episode of Keeping Up Appearances. LOL

Famed pianist -- and recent recipient of the Kennedy Center Honor -- Dave Brubeck has died at 91.

And down under, philanthropist Dame Elisabeth Murdoch (mother of Rupert) has died at 103.

Not that they were famous like Hollywood entertainers BUT . . .the world's oldest woman has died at 116 years of age. And The Guiness Book of World Records`tallest woman at seven feet seven inches has passed away at the young age of 39. The Japanse woman had a growth, gland problem and she hated her fame and begged to know why SHE HAD TO BE STARED AT HER WHOLE LIFE BECAUSE OF HER SIZE.

Famed pianist -- and recent recipient of the Kennedy Center Honor -- Dave Brubeck has died at 91.

I just learned about Mr Brubeck and was hoping he had received the Kennedy Center Honor at least, and i`m happy that he did. When you think of all the jazz greats, his name always pops up right away. Saw him perform many times although i`ve never been that BIG on jazz, but had to admire the ease with which he regaled the crowd of hundreds of thousands whenever he performed at The Montreal Jazz festival here.

• 3 weeks later...

Character actor Harry Carey Jr. just passed away. He gave a commentary for the "John Wayne meets Lucy" episode of 'The Lucy Show'. I watched it last year and he spoke wonderfully of Lucille and John Wayne's fondness for her. I believe he said that whenever Lucy wanted him, John was there. Worth a rent!

http://www.amazon.co...&qid=1356923688

I'll also miss Peter Breck from 'The Big Valley.'

Character actor Harry Carey Jr. just passed away. He gave a commentary for the "John Wayne meets Lucy" episode of 'The Lucy Show'. I watched it last year and he spoke wonderfully of Lucille and John Wayne's fondness for her. I believe he said that whenever Lucy wanted him, John was there. Worth a rent!

http://www.amazon.co...&qid=1356923688

I'll also miss Peter Breck from 'The Big Valley.'

Nice, Sharon, thanks for posting this.