The Mortons of Wimpole Street?

It Happened One Nosh? Wildcat Jackson Meets a Supper Club Player? Seven Annulments for Seven Rabbis? Arsenic and G'old Dapper?

Does anyone know the date (or approximate date) of the infamous pizza-double date? Naturally it wasn't a Monday night, since Gary was ALWAYS working then.

When did he ask him to be his "girl"?

And where was Gary living at the time?

It Happened One Nosh? Wildcat Jackson Meets a Supper Club Player? Seven Annulments for Seven Rabbis? Arsenic and G'old Dapper?

Does anyone know the date (or approximate date) of the infamous pizza-double date? Naturally it wasn't a Monday night, since Gary was ALWAYS working then.

I think Lucy mentioned in her autobio that he moved into her guest house a few months before they got hitched. I have no idea of the actual infamous pizza date, but I'm thinking January or February 1961.

The pizza date was December 20, 1960 (a Tuesday), the day after Gary's 36th birthday. Frank Gorey remembers them getting engaged the same day astronaut Yuri Gargarin became the first man to go into outer space, which was April 12, 1961 (a Friday). I am not sure where Gary was living when they first met.

The pizza date was December 20, 1960, the day after Gary's 36th birthday. Frank Gorey remembers them getting engaged the same day astronaut Yuri Gargarin became the first man to go into outer space, which was April 12, 1961.

Damn, that was quick.

No, I meant their courtship. Only knew each other like 4 months...

I know right. I mean she and Desi had a wirlwind courtship but still..... She had just gone through an extremely painful divorce,had two kids, and 4 months after meeting the guy she decides to marry him :lucyshock: Who knows.

I know right. I mean she and Desi had a wirlwind courtship but still..... She had just gone through an extremely painful divorce,had two kids, and 4 months after meeting the guy she decides to marry him :lucyshock: Who knows.

She did wait an additional seven months before actually marrying him, though.

I think that Gary lived in the West 50s (57th or 58th St.) in Manhattan. Today that is is an upscale area. I think it was kind of in transition in 1960, just prior to the construction of Lincoln Center a few blocks a way.

She did wait an additional seven months before actually marrying him, though.

I think that Gary lived in the West 50s (57th or 58th St.) in Manhattan. Today that is is an upscale area. I think it was kind of in transition in 1960, just prior to the construction of Lincoln Center a few blocks a way.

Yes thats true. Its not like she married him 4 months after they meet. But its still kinda... oh who knows. If I liked Gary this wouldn't be bothering me. :marionstrong:

Neil: WHAT A FUN post!!!! Hope we get the replies; love THEM for my chronology!!!! Loving you, JK

The pizza date was December 20, 1960 (a Tuesday), the day after Gary's 36th birthday. Frank Gorey remembers them getting engaged the same day astronaut Yuri Gargarin became the first man to go into outer space, which was April 12, 1961 (a Friday). I am not sure where Gary was living when they first met.

Thanks for these dates, 'Harry': As usual, I posted before looking 'forward' a bit....to Neil's post, that is....Loving you, JK

Didn't realize they met THAT soon after Wildcat opened which means she was juggling two men, because, by several accounts, she was still toying with the idea of going back with Desi. She really lucked out. (pause for CCC..........Claude Courval Crack). Whether or not this was a rebound relationship, it could have been and you know how most rebound relationships end up..and that would have been a real public embarrassment for her.

April 1961 was a BIG month for Lucy.....Wins the Aegis Award, gets engaged and then.......collapses on stage.

I have no knowledge to back this up but I've wondered if she wasn't so desperate to leave the show and save face doing it, that she faked the faint. If so, poor Edith King wasn't in on the plan. If they had completed most of "Tippy Tippy Toes" she at least had the decency to wait until she'd finished the all of her songs in the show except for "El Sombrero". Maybe from this experience Lucy came up with the plotline for "Lucy Gets Trapped".

...and the one where Lucy discovers her fiance's healthy head of hair is held on by weakening Bulldog Cement: "Gone with the Wind"....

What a great thread. I was always interested in this timeline. First I have to say Jimmy you are amazing with your facts. You’re like the Zoltar at the Carnival of Lucy knowledge. Put in a nickel, ask it a question, and out pops an answer.

So a few more dates in the timeline question. When was the Wildcat opening in Philadelphia and when did it start previews and then open in NYC? Did shows back then even do previews like they do now?

So 1960 goes like this:

Early March: Last LDCH filmed and filed for divorce.

Facts of Life: Did this start shooting in the summer? What month?

FOL accident on set: Lucy gets injured and is out for a few weeks. Also didn’t some other people get hurt too and this delays filming? When did this wrap?

Divorce finalized: would I be correct to place this happening sometime during FOL filming? Something makes me think I read April at one point

Aug/Sept: Lucy heads to NYC to start rehearsal

Fall: Philadelphia opening

Late Fall: NYC opening

Dec 20: meets Gary.

What a packed year. But my gosh how do you even have time to recover not just physically but emotionally from all of that. No wonder she was exhausted in the show. If you just took her work schedule into account it was tough, but add on the heavy emotional baggage of the year too.

I agree with Neil here with I think she was juggling 2 men. Does anyone know when that couple visited her backstage with the wedding ring, because I think that may have been the tipping point to finally let him go. Lucy says in her book that it brought back all the bad memories and that she knew then they could not be together. The Desilu book talks about this FOL, show opening period and that they were pretty close and it’s hinted they may have gotten back together. Desi was at the opening, helped with the show, took her to Del Mar to recover from the FOL accident, was at that FOL press lunchon. He was around a lot for having just gotten divorced. I think that Lucy knew she could not trust herself to not go back unless she had someone else and grabbed on to the first guy that made her laugh.

In the Lucie ebay garage sale auction(as Brock called it, love that name) there was a letter from Norman Vincent Peale to Desi about the kids being at the wedding. Sounds like both of them thought about this long and hard and confided in Norman for his advice. Desi- no, Lucy-yes. Interesting letter.

What a great thread. I was always interested in this timeline. First I have to say Jimmy you are amazing with your facts. You’re like the Zoltar at the Carnival of Lucy knowledge. Put in a nickel, ask it a question, and out pops an answer.

So a few more dates in the timeline question. When was the Wildcat opening in Philadelphia and when did it start previews and then open in NYC? Did shows back then even do previews like they do now?

So 1960 goes like this:

Early March: Last LDCH filmed and filed for divorce.

Facts of Life: Did this start shooting in the summer? What month?

FOL accident on set: Lucy gets injured and is out for a few weeks. Also didn’t some other people get hurt too and this delays filming? When did this wrap?

Divorce finalized: would I be correct to place this happening sometime during FOL filming? Something makes me think I read April at one point

Aug/Sept: Lucy heads to NYC to start rehearsal

Fall: Philadelphia opening

Late Fall: NYC opening

Dec 20: meets Gary.

What a packed year. But my gosh how do you even have time to recover not just physically but emotionally from all of that. No wonder she was exhausted in the show. If you just took her work schedule into account it was tough, but add on the heavy emotional baggage of the year too.

I agree with Neil here with I think she was juggling 2 men. Does anyone know when that couple visited her backstage with the wedding ring, because I think that may have been the tipping point to finally let him go. Lucy says in her book that it brought back all the bad memories and that she knew then they could not be together. The Desilu book talks about this FOL, show opening period and that they were pretty close and it’s hinted they may have gotten back together. Desi was at the opening, helped with the show, took her to Del Mar to recover from the FOL accident, was at that FOL press lunchon. He was around a lot for having just gotten divorced. I think that Lucy knew she could not trust herself to not go back unless she had someone else and grabbed on to the first guy that made her laugh.

In the Lucie ebay garage sale auction(as Brock called it, love that name) there was a letter from Norman Vincent Peale to Desi about the kids being at the wedding. Sounds like both of them thought about this long and hard and confided in Norman for his advice. Desi- no, Lucy-yes. Interesting letter.

Ive read that letter from Norman. Clearly Desi did not want the kids at the wedding and was asking Norman to plead his case to Lucy. Does anyone else wonder if the story about the couple coming backstage is even true? Didn't this story come from Jim Brochu? I don't count him as the most reliable source of information.

Im pretty interested in this timeline of events myself. To me its still kinda murky. Lucy had a lot of decisions to make and seemed to be losing herself in her work( as she always did but this time she really overdid it).

Lucy mentions the ring incident in her book, and there was a great interview posted here awhile ago that Desi Jr recounted the same story around 91'. He even said that his dad got a copy made of the ring. Too many first hand sources to not believe.

Thanks for the very nice compliment!

Wildcat opened in Philadelphia on October 30, 1960. Broadway shows at that time usually only did two previews in New York before opening night. Wildcat supposedly did two - on December 14 and 15. I've never been able to confirm this. Most of the costumes and scenery did not get to New York until December 14, so I don't know if they actually did do a preview that night. Opening night was scheduled for the 15th and then moved to the 16th because of the blizzard that delayed the costumes and scenery.

I think The Facts of Life began production in June (maybe late May?). Lucy fell on July 2 and filming stopped for two weeks. Production was completed in August or prior to it.

The couple gave Lucy Desi's ring in May 1961 (possibly the 13th). This was reported in the papers at the time. Lucy's final divorce decree was not final until May 17, 1961. The divorce had been granted on May 4, 1960 but took a year to be finalized.

I think Lucy was dating a lot post-Desi, pre-Gary. Her friends recall her with a lot of "boring guys." I think she wanted to keep constantly busy and not think about the divorce and her unhappiness. This was probably a big contribution to her ill health. She wasn't living the "no social life outside the theater" life Broadway people live to conserve their energy and stay healthy.

Wildcat opened in Philadelphia on October 30, 1960. Broadway shows at that time usually only did two previews in New York before opening night. Wildcat supposedly did two - on December 14 and 15. I've never been able to confirm this. Most of the costumes and scenery did not get to New York until December 14, so I don't know if they actually did do a preview that night. Opening night was scheduled for the 15th and then moved to the 16th because of the blizzard that delayed the costumes and scenery.

I think The Facts of Life began production in June (maybe late May?). Lucy fell on July 2 and filming stopped for two weeks. Production was completed in August or prior to it.

The couple gave Lucy Desi's ring in May 1961 (possibly the 13th). This was reported in the papers at the time. Lucy's final divorce decree was not final until May 17, 1961. The divorce had been granted on May 4, 1960 but took a year to be finalized.

I think Lucy was dating a lot post-Desi, pre-Gary. Her friends recall her with a lot of "boring guys." I think she wanted to keep constantly busy and not think about the divorce and her unhappiness. This was probably a big contribution to her ill health. She wasn't living the "no social life outside the theater" life Broadway people live to conserve their energy and stay healthy.

A lot of "boring guys," eh? Then she married one. LMAO

Lucy mentions the ring incident in her book, and there was a great interview posted here awhile ago that Desi Jr recounted the same story around 91'. He even said that his dad got a copy made of the ring. Too many first hand sources to not believe.

Ah! Thanks for letting me know. Ill have to go back and take another look at her book.

I do remember reading something Lucy said her said about her that she was getting setup on these dates with this rich guys but were incredible boring and none of them made her happy. Probably a one or two date kind of thing.

Thanks for the dates. The divorce being granted in May of 60' was what I was thinking.

Harry, in your opinion, do you think she was considering going back to Desi? Have you ever heard anything about that? Ive heard conflicting things about that

Archived