Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought people on twitter were seeing things, but watching the special again on the west coast -- out of solidarity for ratings, of course -- I see they did indeed forget to colourize the Christmas lights once they flipped the swish.

I saw the colored lights.  They were colorized for my timezone!  lol

All in all, I wasn't that thrilled with the colorization process. I have a high-def TV but it just seemed too washed out or something.

I saw the colored lights. They were colorized for my timezone! lol

All in all, I wasn't that thrilled with the colorization process. I have a high-def TV but it just seemed too washed out or something.

I think they deliberately gave it a vintage look. I prefer it to the garish color Jeannie and Bewitched got. Barbara Eden looked like she'd been scribbled with pink and yellow highlighters. I can tell a lot of effort went into this. I'll never be a proponent of the process but it could've been a lot worse.

What I'm really looking forward to are the blurays!

Everyone was wondering about the non-colorized Christmas tree lights -- that is, why they turned white when they were plugged in...

When the artists colorize a black-and-white film, they have to have something on the original film to add the color to... In computer terms, they have to have some black-and-white/gray pixels on which to affix a color value... When the lights were turned off, they appeared as shades of gray in the original film. So the artists could make them red, blue, green, yellow, whatever... When they were plugged in, on the original film, all the gray tones were "blown out" and all you had was essentially a totally white image... So when it came to colorize them, there was nothing there to colorize!

What I enjoyed about the colorized show was noticing how much DETAIL I suddenly saw in the background.  This is a result both of the colorization process AND the fact that the picture is now in high-def... But I noticed a lot of little things, like the nick-nacks in the room, things hanging in the closets... In the Rome hotel room, Ricky's brief case is sitting over near the door...  When the shows are in standard def black-and-white, all of these things become muted, blurry "background" with no real disctinction... It was like seeing the room(s) for the first time!

Tjw

The two shows in combination ran about 48 minutes... A modern-day network hour includes 45 minutes (max) of program material. End of story. No compromise. That was the standard we had to make... So we snipped about 2-3 minutes from the two shows -- the biggest chunk coming from "Sweet Adaline."

Quite honestly,if losing a couple of minutes of material was "the price" for getting these shows back onto national prime time network television, it was a very worthwhile price to pay.

No other 57 year old series would ever be even CONSIDERED for national primetime television...

I am just grateful that CBS wanted to take a gamble with this... A wonderful way to introduce new younger audiences to a series that even the cheapo cable networks now often relegate to middle-of-the-night viewing...

tjw

Everyone was wondering about the non-colorized Christmas tree lights -- that is, why they turned white when they were plugged in...

When the artists colorize a black-and-white film, they have to have something on the original film to add the color to... In computer terms, they have to have some black-and-white/gray pixels on which to affix a color value... When the lights were turned off, they appeared as shades of gray in the original film. So the artists could make them red, blue, green, yellow, whatever... When they were plugged in, on the original film, all the gray tones were "blown out" and all you had was essentially a totally white image... So when it came to colorize them, there was nothing there to colorize!

What I enjoyed about the colorized show was noticing how much DETAIL I suddenly saw in the background. This is a result both of the colorization process AND the fact that the picture is now in high-def... But I noticed a lot of little things, like the nick-nacks in the room, things hanging in the closets... In the Rome hotel room, Ricky's brief case is sitting over near the door... When the shows are in standard def black-and-white, all of these things become muted, blurry "background" with no real disctinction... It was like seeing the room(s) for the first time!

Tjw

That's why I'm so excited for the BluRays! Its a better format for filmic preservation than DVD was. The image quality on the DVD was excellent but the compression artifacts often smear fine detail like that. 1080p allows for filmic detail, such as fine grain structure, to remain much sharper.

RATINGS RAT RACE: ‘I Love Lucy Christmas Special’ Tops Night, CBS & ABC Tie For Win

deadline-logo-jpg_163144.jpg 
By DOMINIC PATTEN

It was truly old school last night on TV and once again America loved their Lucy. CBS’ I Love Lucy Christmas Special (1.4/5) topped an encore and holiday special heavy night Friday. The only network with a full slate of originals on Friday, CBS also had Hawaii Five-O (1.2/4) and Blue Bloods (1.1/4). 

The former was even with last week’s show while the latter dipped 8%. The original episode of the 50th state cop show took a bit of a blow in its 9PM spot as a Shark Tank encore topped it by 8% among adults 18-49. Then again the ABC entrepreneurial reality show, which usually tops Fridays, has long been a strong performer in repeats as well so no big surprise.  

At 10PM, Blue Bloods was, as usual,  the most watched show of Friday night with 10.18 million viewers total. After back-to-back Shark Tank encores, the only new thing on ABC last night was a Shark Tank  themed 20/20 (1.2/4) which was down two tenths from its December 13 show.Overall, the night saw CBS and ABC tied for the No. 1 spot with a rating of 1.2/4 with CBS taking the viewership prize with 9.40 million watching.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ratings-rat-race-love-lucy-christmas-special-tops-180728918.html

The two shows in combination ran about 48 minutes... A modern-day network hour includes 45 minutes (max) of program material. End of story. No compromise. That was the standard we had to make... So we snipped about 2-3 minutes from the two shows -- the biggest chunk coming from "Sweet Adaline."

Quite honestly,if losing a couple of minutes of material was "the price" for getting these shows back onto national prime time network television, it was a very worthwhile price to pay.

No other 57 year old series would ever be even CONSIDERED for national primetime television...

I am just grateful that CBS wanted to take a gamble with this... A wonderful way to introduce new younger audiences to a series that even the cheapo cable networks now often relegate to middle-of-the-night viewing...

tjw

I noticed those edits and they were very smooth. I enjoyed noticing the difference and seeing how it was cleverly done. 

What I enjoyed about the colorized show was noticing how much DETAIL I suddenly saw in the background.  This is a result both of the colorization process AND the fact that the picture is now in high-def... But I noticed a lot of little things, like the nick-nacks in the room, things hanging in the closets... In the Rome hotel room, Ricky's brief case is sitting over near the door...  When the shows are in standard def black-and-white, all of these things become muted, blurry "background" with no real disctinction... It was like seeing the room(s) for the first time!

Tjw

I felt the same exact way. During the Baby sequence, I saw Lucy wiping away real tears and mascara for the first time ever. 

“I Love Lucy Christmas Special” Leads Friday in Adults 18-49 with 8.65 million viewers

http://www.tvmediainsights.com/highlights/37142/i-love-lucy-christmas-special-leads-night-in-a18-49/ 

RATINGS RAT RACE: ‘I Love Lucy Christmas Special’ Tops Night, CBS & ABC Tie For Win

deadline-logo-jpg_163144.jpg 
By DOMINIC PATTEN

It was truly old school last night on TV and once again America loved their Lucy. CBS’ I Love Lucy Christmas Special (1.4/5) topped an encore and holiday special heavy night Friday. The only network with a full slate of originals on Friday, CBS also had Hawaii Five-O (1.2/4) and Blue Bloods (1.1/4). 

The former was even with last week’s show while the latter dipped 8%. The original episode of the 50th state cop show took a bit of a blow in its 9PM spot as a Shark Tank encore topped it by 8% among adults 18-49. Then again the ABC entrepreneurial reality show, which usually tops Fridays, has long been a strong performer in repeats as well so no big surprise.  

At 10PM, Blue Bloods was, as usual,  the most watched show of Friday night with 10.18 million viewers total. After back-to-back Shark Tank encores, the only new thing on ABC last night was a Shark Tank  themed 20/20 (1.2/4) which was down two tenths from its December 13 show.Overall, the night saw CBS and ABC tied for the No. 1 spot with a rating of 1.2/4 with CBS taking the viewership prize with 9.40 million watching.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ratings-rat-race-love-lucy-christmas-special-tops-180728918.html

It's not confirmed yet, but there are rumors that this show did so well last night that CBS will repeat it again on Wednesday (Christmas) evening! 

I checked the CBS web site and the show IS listed: www.cbs.com/schedule/

Just waiting for an official announcement!

Way to go, Lucy!

This is wonderful news all around! And it's wonderful that Bob Schiller is still with us to see his work kick ass over 55 years after the fact. Not to mention Keith.

I got a kick out of this comment at Deadline in spite of myself: "OK Mr. Moonves? Colorize the entire first season and put in on Saturday Nights at 8:00pm. Maybe you can start to restore Saturday night as the best night on TV once again."

This is wonderful news all around! And it's wonderful that Bob Schiller is still with us to see his work kick ass over 55 years after the fact. Not to mention Keith.

I got a kick out of this comment at Deadline in spite of myself: "OK Mr. Moonves? Colorize the entire first season and put in on Saturday Nights at 8:00pm. Maybe you can start to restore Saturday night as the best night on TV once again."

Oh Boy!!!! This what I have longed for, a small taste of what it was to have Lucy as THEE show on TV. 

I think they should go ahead and do The Best of Compilation DVD of I Love Lucy thats out on DVD and iTunes and color the episodes on the first and second installments, OR chose what would be the most colorful and vibrant shows and go from there. Air them on saturday nights and watch it boom again! I bet We'd all LOVE to see a good Hollywood episode done. Imagine it, what with that great big background and that chic decor. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-ratings-cbs-i-love-667396

TV Ratings: CBS' 'I Love Lucy' Christmas Special Leads Friday

8:56 AM PST 12/21/2013 by Michael O'Connell

lucy_ethel.jpg
Courtesy Everett Collection
"I Love Lucy"

CBS special colorized broadcast of the I Love Lucy Christmas special kicked off the evening with the top showing among adults 18-49. The one-hour episode of the classic comedy averaged a 1.4 rating among adults 18-49. Hawaii Five-0 (1.2 adults) held the previous week's score, and Blue Bloods (1.1 adults) dropped a tenth. CBS topped the night with total viewers (9.4 million) and shared a demo victory with ABC (1.2 adults)

NBC's annual broadcast of It's a Wonderful Lifeaveraged a 1.1 rating with adults 18-49 and 5.4 million viewers.Shark Tank repeats led into a new episode of 20/20 on ABC . With a 1.2 adults rating, the series came two-tenths of a point shy of last week. ABC averaged a 1.2 adults and 5.3 million viewers.

Fox had its own Christmas special (Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown) after a Bones encore, averaging a 0.7 adults rating and 2.6 million viewers for the night.

On the CW, The Carrie Diaries (0.3 adults) improved a tenth from last week, while Nikita(0.2 adults) held its most recent score. The CW averaged a 0.3 rating with adults 18-49 and 808,000 viewers.

From Variety:

America Still Loves ‘Lucy’ As 8.7 Million Watch Colorized CBS Special

i-love-lucy-christmas-special.jpg?w=490& 

•  

CBS dug into its vaults on Friday night and drew more than 8 million viewers for the “I Love Lucy Christmas Special.”

The hourlong spec, featuring colorized versions of two episodes from the classic B&W series from the ’50s, averaged a 1.4 rating/5 share in adults 18-49, making it the top show of the night in this demo — even if none of these viewers were around to see any of “I Love Lucy’s” original run on the Eye.

Though a 5 share is solid in this day and age, Friday’s special did a 7 share among adults 25-54. And among those 55 and older, it commanded 14% of all viewing in the night’s 8 o’clock hour.

In total viewers, the “I Love Lucy Christmas Special” averaged 8.7 million viewers to easily win its timeslot. The only programs to draw larger audiences on the night were the ones that followed it on CBS: original episodes of “Hawaii Five-0″ (9.4 million) and “Blue Bloods” (10.2 million).

Friday’s special featured the once-thought-lost Christmas episode that never aired in syndication as well as the memorable episode when Lucy stomped grapes in Italy in preparation for an acting role. CBS colorized the episode with a “vintage look” in a “nod to the 1950s period in which the shows were filmed.”

There wasn’t much else fresh airing on Friday night, but ABC managed a tie with CBS for the night’s leadership in adults 18-49 thanks to two repeats of “Shark Tank” and a fresh “20/20″ (1.2/4 in 18-49, 5.5 million viewers overall).

NBC hung in there with another airing of “It’s a Wonderful Life” (1.1/4 in 18-49, 5.4 million viewers overall), leaving the Peacock close behind CBS and ABC in 18-49.

Fox aired repeats of crime drama “Bones” (0.8/3 in 18-49, 2.6 million viewers overall) and the special “Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown” (0.8/2 in 18-49, 1.9 million viewers overall).

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/america-still-loves-lucy-as-8-7-million-watch-colorized-cbs-special-1200981719/

CBS’ I Love Lucy Christmas Special: 1.4/5??   Is this considered good??

What do these numbers mean?  Is it same as in the OLD days when it referred to rating/share? If so,  a mizzly 1.4% of the potential viewers, whether they're watching TV or not;  and a 5 share: 5% of the total viewers with their sets on?  Just what are the other 95% watching?  Duck Dynasty??  (which until recently I assumed was a Disney cartoon show and I wondered why it was getting so much attention).

For comparison, Here's Lucy in its WORST season had a 20 rating!(averaged for the season)---Yes, yes, yes I know there were only 3 networks and a handful (or less depending on the market: Portland had ONE) of independents and PBS, but still that represented 1 in 5 of every potential viewer watching HL. Assume HL's share of active viewers was around 30.

So glad this did well! I bet Lucille is smiling down on us from Heaven, and so happy she was back on primetime once again! I was a baby when this re-aired on CBS in 1989 and 1990 so I obviously have no memory of that. !!  :hlLOL:  Did not know Bob Schiller was still alive! I was out with some friends and came home in the middle of Italian Movie. No way was I going to pass up going to a fancy new Italian restaurant with friends who I don't see enough but I definitely wanted to watch Lucy when I got home. Was impressed with the color and blue grape juice that stained Lucy. And thanks TJW for that tidbit about the lights. No wonder they appeared as white when in reality they were red and pink. And I think the colors are way more accurate here than in the 1990 colorization. I looked at it in B&W and the shades of grey looked just like they were supposed to. The other one, not so much. My uncle didn't like the color, because it just looked too weird. Now, someone colorize TLS Together For Christmas! We know the ornaments are gold, one of the trees is green and the lights are neon.  :P Now i just hate to someday get the blurays because I remember being sooooooo excited when I received each dvd season set as a gift. 

Archived