Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

Look at that beautiful and oh so colorful new avatar of yours, we could see ALL her comedic gems IN COLOR, man, now there's something to live for. WHO KNEW THE BREAD WAS BROWN?

This might shock you, but chances are Ethel's home-churned butter was yellow.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually Beta and VHS came out at the same time and coexisted for around a decade. The studios released everything in both formats circa 1978-89 but because so many more people had VHS vcrs (thanks to them being much cheaper) eventually they quit releasing prerecorded product on Beta and by the early or mid 1990's Beta machines were no longer being manufactured. It's interesting that Beta lost the video wars considering the picture quality was remarkably superior but price won out, something for all these people who insist blu-ray is going to obliviate dvds (which they've been saying for almost a decade) to ponder. Did Columbia House release ILL on Beta? I'm thinking that subscription series didn't start until around 1990 so maybe Beta had already vanished as a contender by that point.

Also of note, a few episodes of ILL were released in the Super 8mm sound film format late 1970s but I think these were "unofficial" releases, if you get my drift. I remember seeing the ads for them in the Hollywood collectibles magazines of the late 1970s when I was a teenager and thought to myself how amazing to be able to watch ILL any hour of the day that you wished! I remember one of the episodes available was "Lucy Writes a Novel" and I think there were one or two others also available.

That's why I always say my Lucy copies went from Beta to VHS, when they cleared out the Beta, I had to redo everything in VHS. And you are so right about the picture quality, Beta had it all over VHS but lost out because people care about saving money.

Haha! This is something I feel VERY strongly about! Hehe!

I could also be wrong about this, and I hope I am. But, maybe they really re-colorized the episode, (including the flashbacks), and told us otherwise, just to throw us off the scent, only to really surpise us when it's released on DVD, and when it airs! LOL!

OY VEY! I just caught up.

Look, I've written my blog, I've said my peace. Enough is enough. I won't be buying this disc not because of the old colorization but because there's no need for me to. I already have all that's on it if I so get the urge plus I don't endorse it. Let's give it a rest!

Archived