Oscar's Family Album

Brock

No Lucy, but many Lucy-related people in this wonderful video of the first televised Oscar "family album" for the award's 25th anniversary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79HDsBuJyPQ

Of this, I suppose Olivia is the only one featured still alive. Celeste Holm, on the other hand, must be the only actor to appear in the 1953, 1997, and 2003 Family Albums.

ETA: Brain fart: Overlooked Teresa Wright in the first video.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One little moment I love in the Jerry Lewis video is when Dean Martin playfully takes one of the Oscars from the table. Who do you think of that group would have been most likely to actually steal one of those statuettes? If Susan Hayward hadn't won that night it certainly would have been her. I think Rosalind Russell would be most likely. She could have hidden it in her hat.

No Lucy, but many Lucy-related people in this wonderful video of the first televised Oscar "family album" for the award's 25th anniversary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79HDsBuJyPQ

Of this, I suppose Olivia is the only one featured still alive. Celeste Holm, on the other hand, must be the only actor to appear in the 1953, 1997, and 2003 Family Albums.

ETA: Brain fart: Overlooked Teresa Wright in the first video.

Luise Rainer (now over 100) was also on the 1953 show however they limited the stars to appear in the montage to 25 in honor of the 25th anniversary of Oscar; everyone who presented awards that evening was a past Oscar winner which was a very nice touch and I don't think has ever been done again. For some reason some people got to be in both the "Family album" segment and present an award while for most it was one or the other, maybe they couldn't get enough to appear on tv this early on and so some had to do double duty, there were plenty of no shows: Clark Gable, Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Vivien Leigh, Laurence Olivier, Claudette Colbert, etc. I would presume every past winner had been asked to participate.

Well Lucy isn't in any of the Academy winners reunions naturally but I wonder why she did not appear on the 1987 HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOLLYWOOD special, would have been wonderful to see her in that Great Ladies of the Screen gallery along with Ginger Rogers, Lana Turner, Dorothy Lamour, Lillian Gish, Esther Williams, Jane Powell, Ruby Keeler, Debbie Reynolds, Shirley Jones, Angie Dickinson, etc "and that spoiled brat Drew Barrymore" as I remember one fan putting it in a letter to one of the movie buff magazines of the era about the show.

She also was a no show at the RKO reunion in the early 80s as was Desi. I think this one was just an informal gathering although many of the big names were there including Fred and Ginger.

Well Lucy isn't in any of the Academy winners reunions naturally but I wonder why she did not appear on the 1987 HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOLLYWOOD special, would have been wonderful to see her in that Great Ladies of the Screen gallery along with Ginger Rogers, Lana Turner, Dorothy Lamour, Lillian Gish, Esther Williams, Jane Powell, Ruby Keeler, Debbie Reynolds, Shirley Jones, Angie Dickinson, etc "and that spoiled brat Drew Barrymore" as I remember one fan putting it in a letter to one of the movie buff magazines of the era about the show.

The television Academy could have wised up and done the same thing on their anniversaries.

This is very weird. I've seen lots of pictures of Lucy taken outside the taping of Happy Birthday Hollywood. She looks fantastic and is wearing the blue dress she wore at her All Star Party. I've also seen Lucy's name listed among those who participated in the special by various sources and The Lucy Book lists it among her appearances, but does not give particular details. However, I have a VHS copy of the special and Lucy's name is not listed in the opening credits and I've never spotted her during the festivities. Is it possible Lucy attended the event and then didn't participate in the show? Or did she participate and her part was cut from the TV broadcast for some unfathomable reason? Or I am just missing her in my copy and she went uncredited for some reason?

This is very weird. I've seen lots of pictures of Lucy taken outside the taping of Happy Birthday Hollywood. She looks fantastic and is wearing the blue dress she wore at her All Star Party. I've also seen Lucy's name listed among those who participated in the special by various sources and The Lucy Book lists it among her appearances, but does not give particular details. However, I have a VHS copy of the special and Lucy's name is not listed in the opening credits and I've never spotted her during the festivities. Is it possible Lucy attended the event and then didn't participate in the show? Or did she participate and her part was cut from the TV broadcast for some unfathomable reason? Or I am just missing her in my copy and she went uncredited for some reason?

I'm pretty certain she was not on the televised program and I can not possibly imagine them cutting her out. It was for charity (I believe the Motion Picture Home) so perhaps she just wanted to attend as a spectator, especially since Katharine Hepburn made a very rare public appearance (she appeared in a different segment other than the one with the classic movie queens). Or could the photos be miscaptioned and actually from outside of the All Star Party given she's wearing the same dress?

I'm pretty certain she was not on the televised program and I can not possibly imagine them cutting her out. It was for charity (I believe the Motion Picture Home) so perhaps she just wanted to attend as a spectator, especially since Katharine Hepburn made a very rare public appearance (she appeared in a different segment other than the one with the classic movie queens). Or could the photos be miscaptioned and actually from outside of the All Star Party given she's wearing the same dress?

The pictures can't be from the All Star Party because Lucy was wearing a different styled wig at that event. Lucy also wore the same gown to the opening of the Bob Hope Cultural Center in 1988 and I thought the pictures could actually be from that occasion. However, it seems unlikely to me that two different sources, Getty Images (which is usually pretty reliable) and another site, where a different photographer posted the shot of Lucy in the car that he said he personally took at the Happy Birthday Hollywood event, would both have the same incorrect information. The Getty site also has separate photos of Mike Connors and Lucy both standing in same doorway with captions saying they were taken at Happy Birthday Hollywood. Connors definitely appeared in that special and I can't find any record of him attending the Bob Hope event, so I think Lucy was almost certainly at Happy Birthday Hollywood. Perhaps she did just go as a spectator. Her on-camera absence is puzzling.

I may have analyzed this too much. lol

The pictures can't be from the All Star Party because Lucy was wearing a different styled wig at that event. Lucy also wore the same gown to the opening of the Bob Hope Cultural Center in 1988 and I thought the pictures could actually be from that occasion. However, it seems unlikely to me that two different sources, Getty Images (which is usually pretty reliable) and another site, where a different photographer posted the shot of Lucy in the car that he said he personally took at the Happy Birthday Hollywood event, would both have the same incorrect information. The Getty site also has separate photos of Mike Connors and Lucy both standing in same doorway with captions saying they were taken at Happy Birthday Hollywood. Connors definitely appeared in that special and I can't find any record of him attending the Bob Hope event, so I think Lucy was almost certainly at Happy Birthday Hollywood. Perhaps she did just go as a spectator. Her on-camera absence is puzzling.

I dun't thin she would be that gussied up unless she performed. And I hate to disagree with you but I think it IS from the opening of the Bob Hope Cultural Center, same dress, same hair and she looked stunning that night as she does in this photo. You're right about the All Star party though, totally different hair and her face not great that night but it sure was at the Hope thing. Now I KNOW it wasn't soft camera lenses, as she DOES look twenty years younger, even in the car.

The opening of the 1967 Academy Awards, featuring Jimmy Stewart, Ginger Rogers, Dick Van Dyke, Joan Blondell, Mr. Walter Matthau, the extremely white Mrs. Walter Matthau, more Redgraves than you can shake a stick at, Ronald Reagan, and an unidentified Nancy Davis:

The opening of the 1967 Academy Awards, featuring Jimmy Stewart, Ginger Rogers, Dick Van Dyke, Joan Blondell, Mr. Walter Matthau, the extremely white Mrs. Walter Matthau, more Redgraves than you can shake a stick at, Ronald Reagan, and an unidentified Nancy Davis:

Is it normal to take an hour and a half to download?

Just LOVING you over-analysis, HC! Keep 'em coming....Loving you, JK

Archived