Oscar's Family Album

Brock

The Guinness Book of World Records reports Greer's speech as five minutes and 30 seconds.

Here's about 53 seconds of it:

[url="http://youtu.be/Q_FMqh0z6D8"[/url]

The story went that she had spoken like half an hour, or so the legend went.  People talked about it for years and years, glad it was not true, that show is long and boring enough already.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watchatalkinbout WillisJoey?  She STILL LOOKS GREAT now!

You're telling me?? Yes I know what I meant was that's one of my fave "eras"/looks/hairdos/etc. (approx. 1977-1980), about the time she had her short-lived NBC hour-long show, Shirley and during her Sunbeam shill--er, hawking period, which puts her in her mid-40s.

Guess that "self-lovin" really does do the trick!!! ;):HALKING::fabrary:

She did look lovely though, read somewhere that her long rambling acceptance speech when she won wasn`t as long as legend has made it out to be, any of you knÉow how long she really spoke.É

Greer was also on tv that year (1978) with that other MGM redhead when she appeared on The Dean Martin roast for James Stewart.  La Garson of course was much too ladylike to resort to barbs so she gave quite a lovely little tribute to Jimmy and the camera pans to Lucy applauding, clearly impressed with her remarks.

She was, as you mentioned before on TLL, one of the great class acts of Hollywood however it is clear she loved  to talk, most especially obvious on the A STAR IS BORN premiere footage where she also goes on and on (even managing to plug her upcoming picture, little rascal, nobody else is doing that just praising Judy!) and clearly the host is at a lost at how to wrap her up and move on to the next celebrity.  She ends up getting around two minutes at the mike when when everybody else gets about 30 seconds! She's so charming and a obviously kind person it's rather endearing to see her have a "flaw".

Greer was also on tv that year (1978) with that other MGM redhead when she appeared on The Dean Martin roast for James Stewart.  La Garson of course was much too ladylike to resort to barbs so she gave quite a lovely little tribute to Jimmy and the camera pans to Lucy applauding, clearly impressed with her remarks.

She was, as you mentioned before on TLL, one of the great class acts of Hollywood however it is clear she loved  to talk, most especially obvious on the A STAR IS BORN premiere footage where she also goes on and on (even managing to plug her upcoming picture, little rascal, nobody else is doing that just praising Judy!) and clearly the host is at a lost at how to wrap her up and move on to the next celebrity.  She ends up getting around two minutes at the mike when when everybody else gets about 30 seconds! She's so charming and a obviously kind person it's rather endearing to see her have a "flaw".

Lucy had a great story about Greer and her and another lady getting together at 2am one time and they had eggs together and reminisced about their lack of work and their stories pasts.  One of them even remarking that this is what their fate was nowadays, eating and talking together in the middle of the night.  Wish I remembered who the other legend dining with them was.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Liza with a Z opens the 1974 Academy Awards with... a tribute to her own Oscar win? lol

I guess the chair makers union were on strike for this.

This is also a banner year for Oscar headgear -- Ann-Margret, woman in tiara behind Ann-Margret, Cher, Victoria Principal's afro...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived