Oscar's Family Album

Brock

The pictures can't be from the All Star Party because Lucy was wearing a different styled wig at that event. Lucy also wore the same gown to the opening of the Bob Hope Cultural Center in 1988 and I thought the pictures could actually be from that occasion. However, it seems unlikely to me that two different sources, Getty Images (which is usually pretty reliable) and another site, where a different photographer posted the shot of Lucy in the car that he said he personally took at the Happy Birthday Hollywood event, would both have the same incorrect information. The Getty site also has separate photos of Mike Connors and Lucy both standing in same doorway with captions saying they were taken at Happy Birthday Hollywood. Connors definitely appeared in that special and I can't find any record of him attending the Bob Hope event, so I think Lucy was almost certainly at Happy Birthday Hollywood. Perhaps she did just go as a spectator. Her on-camera absence is puzzling.

I may have analyzed this too much. lol

You N E V E R analyze anything too much, you're just thorough, that's all.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pictures can't be from the All Star Party because Lucy was wearing a different styled wig at that event. Lucy also wore the same gown to the opening of the Bob Hope Cultural Center in 1988 and I thought the pictures could actually be from that occasion. However, it seems unlikely to me that two different sources, Getty Images (which is usually pretty reliable) and another site, where a different photographer posted the shot of Lucy in the car that he said he personally took at the Happy Birthday Hollywood event, would both have the same incorrect information. The Getty site also has separate photos of Mike Connors and Lucy both standing in same doorway with captions saying they were taken at Happy Birthday Hollywood. Connors definitely appeared in that special and I can't find any record of him attending the Bob Hope event, so I think Lucy was almost certainly at Happy Birthday Hollywood. Perhaps she did just go as a spectator. Her on-camera absence is puzzling.

I may have analyzed this too much. lol

This can't be over-analyzed to me, we need to know why Lucy isn't on the Happy Birthday Hollywood show if she attended the festivities! As I recall besides the older actresses grouped together in similiar "old fashioned" lacy white dresses, Katharine Hepburn appeared in a separate segment and Loretta Young hosted the memorial reel (neither appeared with the other oldies in the great ladies segment). Hard to believe Lucy wouldn't be asked to do something separate as well given she was the small screen equivalent to Hepburn (I'm guessing Loretta got singled out to host a segment since she had just had a big hit Christmas tv movie) also extremely unlikely Lucy would have been a diva and walked off the show or refused her assigned segment so I am guessing she heard Hepburn was going to be there and simply decided to attend as a spectator. The real wonder is why she declined to appear since it's hard to believe she wasn't asked and she accepted tons of minor tv gigs on talk shows, etc.

This can't be over-analyzed to me, we need to know why Lucy isn't on the Happy Birthday Hollywood show if she attended the festivities! As I recall besides the older actresses grouped together in similiar "old fashioned" lacy white dresses, Katharine Hepburn appeared in a separate segment and Loretta Young hosted the memorial reel (neither appeared with the other oldies in the great ladies segment). Hard to believe Lucy wouldn't be asked to do something separate as well given she was the small screen equivalent to Hepburn (I'm guessing Loretta got singled out to host a segment since she had just had a big hit Christmas tv movie) also extremely unlikely Lucy would have been a diva and walked off the show or refused her assigned segment so I am guessing she heard Hepburn was going to be there and simply decided to attend as a spectator. The real wonder is why she declined to appear since it's hard to believe she wasn't asked and she accepted tons of minor tv gigs on talk shows, etc.

Lucy, all gussied up like that and then NOT appearing, strange, very very strange indeed.

Natalie Wood presents an all-star edition of "Best Costume" featuring the modelling talents of Cyd Charisse, Eleanor Parker, Michele Lee, Stockard Channing, and Karen Black, among others:

Another all-star segment featuring Natalie Wood, joined by Ingrid Bergman, Roz Russell, Jane Fonda, and Diahanne Carroll presenting Best DIrector:

Those videos were great! They really need to re-upload the clip for the 1969 Costume Design presentation where Eleanor of Aquitaine and the Planet of the Apes apes Watusi.

I knew it was from that year as that was the dress Ingrid Bergman was wearing when she announced IT'S A TIE, the year Streisand and Hepburn won together.

Doris Day, Maureen O'Hara and Debbie Reynolds should re-enact this gem at November's Governor's Awards:

Susan Hayward makes Ed Sullivan look like Laughing Boy.

I agree with Ms Hayward, worst number on the Oscars I ever had to sit through. Guess jerry lewis hosting should have been a warning of things to come.

I was going to post in Snow White/Rob Lowe spectacle in response, but then I remembered you liked that.

Don't feel you have to spare my feelings. The thing that sucked about the Snow White Rob Lowe number was the annoying voice of Snow and the lack of singing skills of Lowe. If you recall, Lucy told him backstage she LOVED it. And so did I, for the actual stars included and celebrated in that number, not new people nobody ever heard of but actual BIG NAME stars who deserved their moment to shine once again.

worst number on the Oscars I ever had to sit through.

Worse than this one?

If this isn't the Academy pre-emptively and blatantly stating its position on the Mame to come, I don't know what is! :lucyshock:

Note Desi and Liza at 8.52. Desi was clearly onto Angie's smear campaign.

I'd love to go back in time and be a fly on the wall for the Academy's reasoning on pairing Greer Garson with The Fonz:

"for Star Wars!"

"Staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Wahs!"

She did look lovely though, read somewhere that her long rambling acceptance speech when she won wasn`t as long as legend has made it out to be, any of you knÉow how long she really spoke.É

She did look lovely though, read somewhere that her long rambling acceptance speech when she won wasn`t as long as legend has made it out to be, any of you knÉow how long she really spoke.É

The Guinness Book of World Records reports Greer's speech as five minutes and 30 seconds.

Here's about 53 seconds of it:

[url="http://youtu.be/Q_FMqh0z6D8"[/url]

Archived