EMMY AWARDS, SEPTEMBER 22

C L A U D E

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, obviously the Kennedy Assassination is a huge event in American history, but I've never considered it a TELEVISION milestone. Is it just me? lol

Yes, it is you, I was there and it was the very first time, television took us to a live event of three days of coverage of a President getting shot, and a young one at that, the Kennedy family being there, the man responsible for the shooting getting shot LIVE on the air and then the world leaders attending, it WAS a big deal for us to fully participate in some event like that one, I assure you.  Happened again with man's first steps on the moon a few years later.

I'll allow it. The Kennedy assassination is considered to be the first time the public went directly to television for news rather radio or newspapers. 

The next comment is presented without bias (I swear!):

I would have thought that would have been the Queen's Coronation with the transatlantic race to be the first to get the still developing film reels to North America for broadcast.

The next comment is presented without bias (I swear!):

I would have thought that would have been the Queen's Coronation with the transatlantic race to be the first to get the still developing film reels to North America for broadcast.

In the many TV and news classes I took in college, the Kennedy assassination was always covered as this huge turning point for television. The Queen's Coronation was never mentioned, but that might just be US bias. 

Yes, it is you, I was there and it was the very first time, television took us to a live event of three days of coverage of a President getting shot, and a young one at that, the Kennedy family being there, the man responsible for the shooting getting shot LIVE on the air and then the world leaders attending, it WAS a big deal for us to fully participate in some event like that one, I assure you.  Happened again with man's first steps on the moon a few years later.

Fair enough.

In the many TV and news classes I took in college, the Kennedy assassination was always covered as this huge turning point for television. The Queen's Coronation was never mentioned, but that might just be US bias. 

Interesting - always interesting to get the US perspective. It seems strange it wasn't mentioned though as so many Americans finally gave into temptation and actually bought their first televisions, or crowded around their neighbours', just to watch it.

Fair enough.

Interesting - always interesting to get the US perspective. It seems strange it wasn't mentioned though as so many Americans finally gave into temptation and actually bought their first televisions, or crowded around their neighbours', just to watch it.

More did to watch little Ricky's birth though!

Archived