Lucy, Judy and Julie grab some ice cream!

Brock

What does Ann Miller say?

"The turned me out of my house for.....(?) "

I have to say this is the least insulting to Lucy so far.....

Annie was turned out of her house for hoarding (or, "h'arding!" in Ann Miller-speak), a call back to their Celebrity Hoarders installment featuring Judy and Liza's intervention. lol

ETA: Yeah, what Taylor said.

"Julie, there's a man right outside here who asked me if he could take me to Funkytown. I don't even know what that is!"

Where did they get the Lucy footage?

Looks like the outfit she wore on the 1973 Merv Griffin tribute (that showed the first Mame clip) but she acts more like she's in an episode.

The footage is from The Carters Meet Frankie Avalon, which was filmed the same day as the Merv interview.

• 5 months later...

:hlLOL: It's been a long time since they made a video! I think the punchy players are hilarious, but I don't 'get' all of the Judy Garland references. :lucyeww:

I heard that Judy is a gay icon. Is this true? (I've only ever seen her in The Wizard of Oz)

Absolutely! As is daughter Liza....!

Along with half siblings Joey and Lorna Luft, Ms. Minnelli is scheduled to pay tribute to her beloved mother tonight on the 86th Oscar Awards, hosted by another gay icon, talk show maven Ms. Ellen DeGeneres.

:peachonthebeach:

Absolutely! As is daughter Liza....!

Along with half siblings Joey and Lorna Luft, Ms. Minnelli is scheduled to pay tribute to her beloved mother tonight on the 86th Oscar Awards, hosted by another gay icon, talk show maven Ms. Ellen DeGeneres.

:peachonthebeach:

Thanks Joey! I know they're doing a big tribute for oz's 75th. The only gay icon I know is Kathy Griffin lol!

Anytime Freddie, I'm here to serve!!

And actually you're right about Kathy Griffin -- and I'm a huge fan. Still miss her Bravo "My Life on the D-List" show.....

Well, just for your edification, here's a partial list (I'm sure I'll leave someone out!) of reknowned famous folks also considered "gay icons"!  (If I left out anyone's fave, please don't take it personally, I'm just old & tired! -- many of them are pretty obvious anyway! ;) )

Cher

Bette Midler

Judy Garland

Liza Minnelli

Joan Rivers

Kathy Griffin

Ellen Degeneres

Cyndi Lauper

Madonna

Betty White

Lady Gaga

Margaret Cho

Julie Andrews

Megan Mullally

Elton John

Freddie Mercury 

James Dean

Neil Patrick Harris

George Michael

Rachel Maddow

.....to name but a few...!

Just out of curiosity, is there a general criteria or certain boxes that have to be ticked before someone can be considered a "gay icon" -- or is it simply popularity within the GLBT community? Most of your list seems pretty straightforward (so to speak ;) ) but the inclusion of James Dean surprises me. Well, Rachel Maddow too, although I'm aware she is gay herself there has to be more to it than just that! LOL!

Just out of curiosity, is there a general criteria or certain boxes that have to be ticked before someone can be considered a "gay icon" -- or is it simply popularity within the GLBT community? Most of your list seems pretty straightforward (so to speak ;) ) but the inclusion of James Dean surprises me. Well, Rachel Maddow too, although I'm aware she is gay herself there has to be more to it than just that! LOL!

Dunno...I don't make the rules! ;) 

Some, like Garland have suffered a lot and we, having suffered also, relate and make them icons.  He forgot Streisand, weird and different, marching to their own drummers helps their cause.  Others like Griffin or Rivers, say anything they want and we admire that.  Some support our causes and therefore earn our respect.  Lucy was also an icon, but her life was pretty much perfect, Lee Tannen once said in OUT magazine that Lucy Ricardo was much more of a gay icon than Miss Ball was.  Usually it's very strong women, who remind us of our own mothers, but some like Davis and Hepburn never made it to that status.  So, I would say very strong women, but they have to have suffered somewhat and say what they want and damn the consequences.  We just love that F*** You attitude. 

• 11 months later...

Archived