Lucy and the Golden Greek

About to start watching Season Four for the first time since getting the DVD. That was my first time seeing any of these episodes, and I remember "Lucy and the Golden Greek" being one of my favorites from the season. Loved the introduction of Mary Jane, and it reminded me of Season One as the plot involved Lucy dating. If I recall, this isn't a universally loved installment. What does everyone think of this episode? 

I enjoyed this episode too. The second act was a little forced but funny. I also liked the opening sequence. I think the character of Mary Jane had a solid introduction and I enjoyed her recapping Lucy's history. At least the writers provided numerous Danfield references this season to help provide some continuity. The transition may have been abrupt but it was handled better than a lot of shows that have undergone retooling. At least Viv and the kids weren't dropped with out explanation the way some characters on 'Ellen" were.

Although I don't think the finale makes any sense, there's a lot I like in this episode. I love all the interaction between Lucy and Mary Jane. This is how Mary Jane should have been used on The Lucy Show instead of having her just be there for Lucy to tell her latest idea. Garry Marshall and Jerry Belson probably did the best writing for Mary Jane on The Lucy Show.

Although I don't think the finale makes any sense, there's a lot I like in this episode. I love all the interaction between Lucy and Mary Jane. This is how Mary Jane should have been used on The Lucy Show instead of having her just be there for Lucy to tell her latest idea. Garry Marshall and Jerry Belson probably did the best writing for Mary Jane on The Lucy Show.

Totally agree about the finale. Fidelman was right that it was poorly motivated. But the setup makes it worthwhile.

Well..compared to I Love Lucy....later shows aren't as good. I Love Lucy is.VERY hard to top.

And that's the problem. People can't help but compare her later programs to her original instead of evaluating them on their own merits (just like they would do with any other show). And it's no wonder why they are hardly on the air.

Oh don't go by HIM, he hated most shows done AFTER I Love Lucy.

I don't agree with all his assessments but I think Fidelman made some very good points. And I think he was right about this episode. It is funny, but not especially well motivated. The best moments are the early ones between Lucy and Mary Jane to me.

I don't agree with all his assessments but I think Fidelman made some very good points. And I think he was right about this episode. It is funny, but not especially well motivated. The best moments are the early ones between Lucy and Mary Jane to me.

What show did fiddlesticks ever write, produce or act in???  LOL!  Criticizing is the easiest thing to do, I should know, I do it all day.

What show did fiddlesticks ever write, produce or act in???  LOL!  Criticizing is the easiest thing to do, I should know, I do it all day.

His bio in the back of The Lucy Book says he penned a script for a Little Ricky sitcom pilot. So, there's that...

What show did fiddlesticks ever write, produce or act in??? LOL! Criticizing is the easiest thing to do, I should know, I do it all day.

But what about all the nice things he did say? It wasn't just negativity. He spoke highly of most episodes, and I thought he provided good explanations for the ones he didn't.

His bio in the back of The Lucy Book says he penned a script for a Little Ricky sitcom pilot. So, there's that...

Actually there should have been a sitcom running concurrently to the Europe episodes set in New York about Little Ricky and the misadventures under the care of scatterbrained Mrs. McGillicuddy entitled "Hello, Florence" complete with flashbacks to their cross country plane trip to Hollywood. Let's see.... "Mrs. McGillcuddy books passage on a bargain flight to Bombay knowing full well she can talk the pilot into making an unscheduled stop at LAX." Mrs.McGillicuddy: "All he has to do is push the steering wheel". Would YOU leave your toddler in Mrs. M's care??? I smell some spin-off plots in the works....And come to think of it, "Florence" would have been a good first name for Mrs. M.

About "Golden Greek". I too like the set up very much with Lucy and Mary Jane (though I don't care for Marshall-Belson scripts as a whole). I've NEVER liked the sitcom premise where somebody hears music and it makes them act maniacally different. Though it's been done and done ("KO Kitty" for one), I hate it because there's no basis in reality. Have you ever known anyone who went crazy when they heard a certain type of music? Well, maybe Joey and Claude when the song "It's Raining Men" plays.

About "Golden Greek". I too like the set up very much with Lucy and Mary Jane (though I don't care for Marshall-Belson scripts                                           " as a whole.  "                                                                   

What did YOU call Marshall and Benson?  as a whole?

Archived