Shirley Mitchell has died at 94

Desiluforever

Here are also the reports from TMZ: http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/13/shirley-mitchell-last-surviving-i-love-lucy-castmember-dead-dies/ 

and the Hollywood Reporter:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/i-love-lucy-actress-shirley-mitchell-dies-655779 

I'm really so devastated to hear this news. Rest in peace Shirley. 

R.I.P. Shirley!

Interesting ... she just turned 94 a week ago!

Sad to see that now all of the adult cast members of I Love Lucy are no longer with us. It seems those who worked on I Love Lucy are dropping like flies now.  :(

And they are. Just did some research.

March 13th - Bob Weiskopf (writer) (aged 86)

November 5th - Elois Jenssen (costume designer) (aged 81)

January 27th - Bob Carroll, Jr. (writer) (aged 88)

May 21st - Henry David "Bud" Molin (film editor) (aged 81)

July 9th - Charles Lane (actor) (aged 102)

July 29th - Irma Kusely (hairstylist) (aged 95)

February 5th - Peggy Jane Rea (actress) (aged 89)

April 20th - Madelyn Pugh (writer) (aged 90)

June 26th - Doris Singleton (actress) (aged 92)

July 16th - William Asher (director) (aged 90)

November 21st - Daniel Cahn (film editor) (aged 89)

November 11th - Shirley Mitchell (actress) (aged 94)

It appears that writer, Bob Schiller (currently 95, just turned it), is the last surviving member of the primary production/cast team (outside of the actors who played Little Ricky). 

R.I.P. Shirley!

Sad to see that now all of the adult cast members of I Love Lucy are no longer with us. It seems those who worked on I Love Lucy are dropping like flies now.  :(

Well, they were all born 90-100 years ago.  I don't think they'd want to live forever.  lol

Only great thing to see about that list is their ages. They all lived well beyond their 70's.

The saddest thing about this is we only one person that can give us facts, you know. Someone who lived it all. I don't count the kids because they were just kids. The adults can remember that experience a bit more. The older the show becomes, the less people involved with it are still here with us. It's truly sad.

And Lotus Bud, that comment is exactly what we all wish! RIP Shirley Mitchell, Jay Livingston is waiting! :)

Interesting that the headline for Shirley on my home page was "I Love Lucy Star Dies at 94". Three episodes but I don't know of any Lucy supporting player who made as big of an impression on viewers with as few appearances. Who can forget her "Tells the Truth" laugh or her "Club Band" Rappahana School for Girls speech? (not sure what the third episode was)

She certainly worked steadily over the years. I hope she was happy.

Interesting that the headline for Shirley on my home page was "I Love Lucy Star Dies at 94". Three episodes but I don't know of any Lucy supporting player who made as big of an impression on viewers with as few appearances. Who can forget her "Tells the Truth" laugh or her "Club Band" Rappahana School for Girls speech? (not sure what the third episode was)

She certainly worked steadily over the years. I hope she was happy.

Lucy Tells The Truth

Lucy & Ethel Buy The Same Dress

The Club Dance

We who were lucky enough to attend the Burbank Lucy conventions in the late 90s owe a lot to Tom Watson, who brought them all together for us. I was able to meet and talk to most of the people below. AND believe I was the first to walk up to Eve Whitney and say throatily "How do you DO?" some 45 years later ---but certainly not the last.

Not sure if Rea or Jensen ever attended. And I don't think Lane did, though I met him several years later.

R.I.P. Shirley!

And they are. Just did some research.

March 13th - Bob Weiskopf (writer) (aged 86)

November 5th - Elois Jenssen (costume designer) (aged 81)

January 27th - Bob Carroll, Jr. (writer) (aged 88)

May 21st - Henry David "Bud" Molin (film editor) (aged 81)

July 9th - Charles Lane (actor) (aged 102)

February 5th - Peggy Jane Rea (actress) (aged 89)

April 20th - Madelyn Pugh (writer) (aged 90)

June 26th - Doris Singleton (actress) (aged 92)

July 16th - William Asher (director) (aged 90)

November 21st - Daniel Cahn (film editor) (aged 89)

November 11th - Shirley Mitchell (actress) (aged 94)

It appears that writer, Bob Schiller (currently 95, just turned it), is the last surviving member of the primary production/cast team (outside of the actors who played Little Ricky).

We who were lucky enough to attend the Burbank Lucy conventions in the late 90s owe a lot to Tom Watson, who brought them all together for us. I was able to meet and talk to most of the people below. AND believe I was the first to walk up to Eve Whitney and say throatily "How do you DO?" some 45 years later ---but certainly not the last.

Not sure if Rea or Jensen ever attended. And I don't think Lane did, though I met him several years later.

Yes, Neil both Peggy and Elois made it to the conventions. Elois only briefly at one of Suzanne's shows and Peggy was in attendance at the opening night ceremonies in the salute to Mary Jane Croft.

My favorite non-Lucy Shirley Mitchell appearance is from The Dick Van Dyke Show episode "Someone Has to Be Cleopatra." She watches husband Bob Crane rehearsing a kissing scene for the PTA show with the sexy new schoolteacher and screams, off camera, in perhaps the loudest voice ever heard on

television, "HARRRRRRY!!!! GET IN THE CAR!!!!!!!!" She is only in the episode for a

minute and she is brilliant.

She also had a tiny role as a stockholder in the 1988 comedy Big Business. When I first saw that movie as a child I had yet to see any of Shirley's I Love Lucy appearances. It wasn't until I rewatched the film a few years ago that I spotted and recognized her.

Good catch, Brian.  :D

Still more BB trivia: Remember who played Bette's son in the film? None other than Seth Green, now grown up and more recognized for Robot Chicken, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the current FOX sitcom, Dads:lucyhmm:

Still more BB trivia: Remember who played Bette's son in the film? None other than Seth Green, now grown up and more recognized for Robot Chicken, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the current FOX sitcom, Dads:lucyhmm:

He also voices Chris Griffin on "Family Guy."  ;)

That's right! And the actresses who played the Ratliff sisters also stood in as Bette and Lily's doubles for the scenes featuring both characters, FYI :)

But the minute I saw and heard Shirley I knew immediately who she was. Shirley also did a voiceover in the Desperate Housewives computer game from 2006.

Archived