The Official LUCY ON BLU-RAY Thread!

WELL!

Preface: I have no affiliation with Target. That said, as of this writing, Target has the set on their website on special sale for $59.99. Best price I've seen anywhere by far. (More than half off the manufacturer's suggested price.)

http://www.target.com/p/i-love-lucy-the-complete-first-season-6-discs-blu-ray/-/A-15108703

"Snowpeck" I don't know you but what a service you have provided!! I was going to check my local Target tomorrow to see if they were actually going to stock this and also see what it was going for but this "unexpected bonus" -- coupled with a Gift Certificate card i just got -- made me decide to not take a chance and go ahead and order online since this is the best deal going I've come across!! (Wonder why it wasn't in Target's this Sunday's sale paper??)!!!  Can't thank you enough....:D :D :D

I think the deal may only be online as I saw something on the page I ordered my from that said not available in stores. I'm hoping that might just be the price as that would be crappy not to stock this in the store.

I agree but the more I thought about it, even if I have to wait a few more days for it to ship....it beats taking a chance on 1) finding it in Targets (or Walmarts or...??) with the "sale price" (!) -- or more! -- we were used to per Amazon, etc. and 2) beats driving all over LA to see if anybody DOES have it in stock!! 

I really did want to just "walk in and grab one" but this deal was just too good to pass up!! ;)

:lucywow: Wow! I thought it might be from an episode or something! In the words of Ricky:

:desi1: I can't get over how clear the picture is!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the scenes with alternate angles were already restored for the DVD release, right?

I'll hopefully be able to order soon. My check didn't come today (it BETTER be here tomorrow  :angry: ) and I have a fair amount to pay off on my credit card so it may be a little while before I splurge. I've largely retired my HDTV to the back of the room anyways and have been using my little SDTV lately, so the DVDs will do for now. But soon! SOON! :D

Here is a picture I posted on my Desiluforever page, also from the costume test... it is taken directly from my TV, but still looks wonderful! I wish I had the ability to take screenshots of Bluray discs! :) I am searching through everything... just LOVE it! So well put together!

1922106_661953857205251_6418394636217561

• Like 2

These Blu Rays are fantastic! The make up and costume tests alone are worth the price. They are amazing to see. I love Robert Osborne's comments too. I'm in the middle of the great audio commentary feature. I can't wait to actually watch the episodes. The picture quality is outstanding.

After watching several episodes, I found that the makeup tests had particularly the best quality. Maybe it was that they were closeups, but the picture and lighting was wonderful in that film which gave a certain vividness and crispness to it. The picture in the episodes is definitely clear, however, there are still areas that show age in some shots, where the sound and picture seems to go out of whack for a few seconds (usually around the time of transitions into new scenes... which makes sense, since the film was edited a lot more around that area). However, especially considering the age of the film, it is amazing how great everything looks. Even the commercials and especially the original intros look great. It is obvious that a lot of effort and love went towards making this set.

...and the stellar reviews start to pour in, this perhaps the best one yet:  In a rarity for the site called DVDVerdict.com, the new Blu-Ray received a perfect score of 100!!! :D :D :D

Video: 95

Audio: 95

Extras: 100

Acting: 100

Story: 100

Judgment: 100

Excerpts:

Let this settle in…I Love Lucy has never stopped airing on television since it premiered on October 15, 1951. Can you believe that? And to think this classic sitcom almost never got off the ground, because of the taboo surrounding a multi-ethnic married couple. It's hard to imagine, in this day and age, that would be a problem, but in 1950 a Cuban band leader and an all-American girl as husband and wife, almost ended one of television's greatest sitcoms even before began. Paramount's I Love Lucy: Ultimate Season 1 (Blu-ray) gives us 35 great episodes and an array of behind-the-scenes goodies. Whether you're just getting acquainted with the series or admired Lucy and her crazy capers for as long as you can remember, this collection is a must.

I Love Lucy is a great show…period. Even if you find an old worn out VHS copy, snatch it up, it's that good. But on Blu-ray, do I even have to tell you it's a must have? So let's dispense with the formalities of a normal review and cut to the chase: This one is 100% not guilty! I'm even certain it's a crime in at least 16 states not to go out and buy it right now. Because hey, what more can I say about a show that's been on television continuously for 63 years?

I have seen every Season One episode at least two dozen times, and I still laugh like I was 10 years old sitting in my mom's living room with my little brother. But I Love Lucy is more than just a half hour of laughs. It's a break through series that still influences how television is made today.

I Love Lucy is the perfect storm of talent and timing, executed by artists who loved their craft and were willing to give this project all they had. As I watch my kids enjoying Lucy around the same age I was when I became enchanted with the wayward red head, there is no doubt in my mind that the love for this show will outlive us all.

Paramount's I Love Lucy: Ultimate Season 1 (Blu-ray) is presented in full frame 1.33:1/1080p HD. These episodes look crisp and clear, highlighting the sharp contrasts in the black and white imagery. The Dolby 1.0 Mono track brings back warm memories of sitting in front of our old Zenith eating cookies, as my mom looked on mystified, wondering why we loved a show she watched before we were born.

READ the review in its entirety @ dvdverdict.com:  http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/ilovelucy1bluray.php

I have changed my mind about the picture quality... so I hadn't realized that when you watch the original broadcast and original rerun (with the alternate flashback scenes), you are not seeing the 35 mm film, but rather 16 mm prints (read the extra "before and after" on disc 1). So, if you watch the episode with the heart of satin, you will be getting to spectacular image quality.

These Blu Rays are fantastic! The make up and costume tests alone are worth the price. They are amazing to see. I love Robert Osborne's comments too. I'm in the middle of the great audio commentary feature. I can't wait to actually watch the episodes. The picture quality is outstanding.

Regarding the audio commentary -- This is one of my personal favorite things on this set. (Okay, maybe I have a dozen personal favorite things, but this is certainly one of them!)  The sad thing is that there are not a dozen more just like it.  It's a very melancholy experience for me because (1) I want to hear more! and (2) I had the privilege of knowing many of the participants and most of them are gone now -- so this was like a trip down memory lane!  Happily, we DO have one more half-hour commentary -- about the chocolate factory show -- and it will be included on the Season Two set...

Am so happy we were able to use these on our sets...

• Like 3