More Johnny Carson DVDs Coming!

The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson - 'The Vault Series: Volume 4' and 'Volume 5' on DVD
  Both of these are 'Coming Soon!' according to the online Carson store

• VOLUME 4: A TRIP BACK TO MARCH 1976! A Never-Before-Released series of full shows from The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson. For this first release of 2014, Carson Entertainment Group brings you two more shows from the Vault Series. We're sending you back to a week in March, Johnny is getting ready for spring break, 1976 style. 2 FULL SHOWS - Including Commercials - PLUS BONUS CLIP! Approximate Running Time: 175 minutes.

SHOW 1 (3/02/76): Join Johnny and his famous guests Charlton Heston and Michael Landon. Larry Adler plays a duet of "Our Love is Here to Stay" with Doc, as well as a very early appearance by Billy Crystal, and finally Lisa Farringer. This is the first show from the week that the famous Rhinestone Cowboy skit appeared. A classic Tonight Show! SHOW 2 (3/03/76): Continue this week in March with the following Tonight Show guests, including a great (enlightening?) chat with the legendary Orson Welles, a hilarious appearance by John Byner, a delightful conversation with Susan Clark, and a visit from the Tonight Show's correspondent from Costa Rica, Sam Blotner. BONUS CLIP (3/23/76): Join Johnny on his first show back from one of his famous spring breaks. Ed just got married and Johnny is relaxed and ready to joke with the Tonight Show's fabulous crowd.

Then, VOLUME 5 continues A TRIP BACK TO MARCH 1976! Another Never-Before-Released series of full shows from The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson. Continuing on from Vault Volume 4, Vault Volume 5 contains the Thursday and Friday show from this famous first week of March 1976. Plus more great bonus footage from 3/23/76! 2 FULL SHOWS - Including Commercials - PLUS BONUS CLIP! Approximate Running Time: 177 minutes.

SHOW 1 (3/04/76): The famous Rhinestone Cowboy episode! Johnny performs his version of "Rhinestone Cowboy" and the party doesn't stop there. Guests include Robert Blake, an uproarious Don Rickles, the always pleasing Bob Hope and Desi Arnaz. This show is definitely one for the history books. SHOW 2 (3/05/76): The star studded parade that is now the stuff of legend continues. After a visit from Carnac the Magnificent, Bing Crosby makes his first appearance on the show, followed by Ray Bolger of Wizard of Oz fame. Then finish things off with Marvin Hamlisch and the resident nonagenarian Burt Mustin who busts up the gang with his stories. BONUS CLIP (3/23/76): More exciting bonus material from this show. An unexpected drop in by Rodney Dangerfield. Then Joan Embery adds some animal hijinks with her menagerie from the San Diego Zoo.

Yes, the JohnnyCarson.com official online store has announced that bothThe Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson - The Vault Series: Volume 4 and Volume 5 are in-the-works for DVD release in the not-too-distant future. Specific dates haven't been provided yet, but they are both shown as "Coming Soon!" Cost will be $19.99 each, and box art is below. Our thanks to one of our readers, "Dave," for spotting these and letting us know!

Courtesy:  http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Tonight-Starring-Johnny-Carson-The-Vault-Series-Vol-4-and-5/19531#ixzz2uxr4kxpw

Looking at the guests for this, is this one of the episodes that was used in the Home Movies? It’s around book plugging time. I know one had Bob on as he talks about Desi doing the Bob Hope radio show. Also this set might not have Lucy but if the clips from the Home Movies are any indication she is talked about a lot. Sounds so worth it to have the full thing. Is he part of the panel for the full hour? Is this the one where he describes what she looked like the first time they met?

Looking at the guests for this, is this one of the episodes that was used in the Home Movies? It’s around book plugging time. I know one had Bob on as he talks about Desi doing the Bob Hope radio show. Also this set might not have Lucy but if the clips from the Home Movies are any indication she is talked about a lot. Sounds so worth it to have the full thing. Is he part of the panel for the full hour? Is this the one where he describes what she looked like the first time they met?

Desi was on The Tonight Show three times promoting A Book, once with Johnny, once with Joan Rivers, and once with John Davidson. Both this one and the Joan Rivers interview were used in A Home Movie. I think the Rivers one might be when he talked about first meeting Lucy. Lucy was pretty much the topic of all three interviews.

• 2 weeks later...

No. Desi was the last to come out since he had a book. The "book slot" was always the last guest on the show. Desi still had time. This was 1976 and the Tonight Show was still an hour and thirty minutes. Personally I think Johnny could have done without Bob Hope coming on that night. It drove Johnny crazy... Bob dropping by all the time to promote this or that. Johnny did have respect for the younger Bob Hope but by the 90's Johnny was through with him. But he had to keep having him on since Bob such a close relationship with NBC. Johnny also joked about how cheap Bob was behind his back(and Bob WAS cheap).

Pencils as the perfect Halloween gift huh?  Hey, considering how cheap he was, she should feel fortunate she got anything at all from him, LOL!  And yet, when he died, he brought none of that moolah with him.  No wonder he did so many benefits, he figured it was cheaper than having to send a cheque.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my copy of this Carson interview this week and watched it last night. There was a quite a bit of this used in the home movies. I only watched Desi’s interview so maybe someday I’ll see what Bob was going on and on about someday. And I fast forwarded through it but that was a great dress Angie Dickenson had on.

As for the interview I kept thinking this was the one where he talked about meeting Lucy for the first time and my favorite part where he mentions her beautiful blue eyes but I think that may have been a different Carson interview as it didn’t come up here. Interviews back in the 70’s seemed so relaxed compared to today where they are such an orchestrated event. Still find it crazy how everyone just smokes on these. Carson lighting up going to commercial break from the cigarette box on his desk.

Nice to hear the stories he was telling on this in the unedited version. I was confused though as Bob mentions about Desi doing his radio show and I swear Desi says 1957, but I could have heard wrong because 1947 made more sense. Even though it aged him a lot nice to see him embracing the gray hair. There is one interview used on the home movies that looks to be from the 70’s where he looks really heavy but he looked good here. I also find it interesting that he said his best friend was his son and that he said there might be some things hard to read in the book but he was being honest. So wonderful to hear how close they were, but I figured that all along.

Archived