Comedy Ain't No Joke Re-Edit

Darn. That probably put a damper on the number. Other than the very beginning, it seems seamless and I assumed it was done in one take other than that little bit. Didn't she pass out after doing this number?

Honey they don't don ANYTHING in one take anymore and they haven't for years, save the rare, once-in-blue-moon "live" episodes of Will & Grace, Drew Carey, Hot in Cleveland, etc. etc.

Which makes me think...it's curious Big Bang Theory hasn't tackled one of these yet.... Hmmmmm..... :vanda:

Honey they don't don ANYTHING in one take anymore and they haven't for years, save the rare, once-in-blue-moon "live" episodes of Will & Grace, Drew Carey, Hot in Cleveland, etc. etc.

Which makes me think...it's curious Big Bang Theory hasn't tackled one of these yet.... Hmmmmm..... :vanda:

It's such a shame that shows have had such strenuous tapings in the past 25 years. Didn't Delta Burke cause a big stir by complaining about the long hours of taping Designing Women? (It may have been someone else; I'm not as into DW as my grandmas)

It's such a shame that shows have had such strenuous tapings in the past 25 years. Didn't Delta Burke cause a big stir by complaining about the long hours of taping Designing Women? (It may have been someone else; I'm not as into DW as my grandmas)

Well, it makes no sense whatsoever to take all those hours to tape a half hour comedy.

The Drew live show was very interesting that week. So many things you never think of were done different that week.

LOL! I don't think I'd exactly use the word "strenous" to describe a sitcom taping but agreed it IS ridiculous for them to take twice as long as they need to!

I'm not sure when this trend of literally rewriting jokes & punchlines between each scene of shooting began but I suspect it may have been given a "boost" as it were in part by the switch from actual film cameras to electronic ones that eventually segued to digital cameras which require no film and thus much cheaper to shoot. 

I think too you have to remember that at this point there are no "showmen" around anymore that, as Lucy & Desi envisioned, put on a "little play" in front of an audience each week -- an audience they respected and made sure they were as comfortable as possible -- that just happened to being filmed like a movie so that it could be edited and pieced together with the "best shots" captured by 3 (later 4) cameras. 

Now it's about making it look (and sound) as smooth and polished as possible, which the way it's down now entails shooting each soon "to make sure they got it" at least 4 or 5 times... which also explains why they now commonly pre-tape many scenes so that the audience doesn't have to sit there for literally the entire show; if the did, they'd probably be there (if they were willing, that is) for 8 hours!

Lucy's other great numbers with Shirley MacLaine on HER special were also great hits from the great Cy Coleman, unfortunately a gary morton look alike, LOL!

You're right.  He is .  Never noticed that before.

Yeah, i know it was done it two parts, i have it on tape, there were film clips in between, but i thought she had to redo the number because of a flaw or error.  There was also this one clip of her doing the rehearsal and stopping and screaming WHAT, ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME?  Or words to that effect.

There is?  Where did you see this clip?

As far as if the number done in one or two takes, it seems pretty seamless to me, like most of it was done in one continuous take.  After she gets done with the number, the screen segues into some scenes from Bob's TV shows (but none with Lucy that I recall), then returns to Lucy on stage solo and she sings a shortened, slower paced, sweeter version of the song ending with "When you talk about hard work and talent and scope (was anybody?), Comedy is Bob Hope. 

The only odd shots I noticed that may have been done later:  1) when she's backing up about to get a pie in the face and ducks down.  2) Kurt Cameron coming out of the trunk.  Too bad it wasn't a closet.

(In my video, I cut out as much of Cameron as I could)

This is my favorite thing Lucy did in the 80s, maybe the 70s too: I think it tops "Bouncing Back" in "Gypsy in My Soul". "Comedy" is sung live "Bouncing" was pre-recorded.  It makes a big difference in the spontaneity of a performance.  What other 77 year old woman (actually 76 3/4) could kick her still shapely legs that limberly (if that's an adverb)?

I'd forgotten "Comedy is No Joke" was nominated for an Emmy which makes a total of TWO songs Lucy introduced that were Emmy nominated .  For those who don't already know the answer, here's a multiple choice quiz.  Was the Emmy nominated song:

a) Like Hep

B) Wingding

c) Main Street USA

d) Leading Lady

e) Snoops the Lawyer

f) Autograph Annie and Celebrity Lu

Another thing that bugs me a bit about multi cam sitcoms nowadays is when there are camera shots that you know they had to go out of their way to film. Sometimes they show a fourth wall, sometimes they show a ceiling or something, and it takes me out of the moment because I know that they had to stop filming to do this special shot. I think that's one reason why shows are so stale nowadays. It's 21 minutes at most and they spend hours working on it. Shows like Carol Burnett or Red Skelton were so organic. Especially on Red's show. If a prop didn't work, he would break character and yell at the prop man and make them redo it and the cameras kept rolling. It was funnier than nearly anything nowadays.

As far as if the number done in one or two takes, it seems pretty seamless to me, like most of it was done in one continuous take.  After she gets done with the number, the screen segues into some scenes from Bob's TV shows (but none with Lucy that I recall), then returns to Lucy on stage solo and she sings a shortened, slower paced, sweeter version of the song ending with "When you talk about hard work and talent and scope (was anybody?), Comedy is Bob Hope. 

The only odd shots I noticed that may have been done later:  1) when she's backing up about to get a pie in the face and ducks down.  2) Kurt Cameron coming out of the trunk.  Too bad it wasn't a closet.

This is my favorite thing Lucy did in the 80s, maybe the 70s too: I think it tops "Bouncing Back" in "Gypsy in My Soul". "Comedy" is sung live "Bouncing" was pre-recorded.  It makes a big difference in the spontaneity of a performance.  What other 77 year old woman (actually 76 3/4) could kick her still shapely legs that limberly (if that's an adverb)?

I'd forgotten "Comedy is No Joke" was nominated for an Emmy which makes a total of TWO songs Lucy introduced that were Emmy nominated .  For those who don't already know the answer, here's a multiple choice quiz.  Was the Emmy nominated song:

a) Like Hep

B) Wingding

c) Main Street USA

d) Leading Lady

e) Snoops the Lawyer

Comedy is the noblest profession

Comedy is the truth

Comedy is the something something something

Something something something something something

It is banishing everyone's blues

It is praying and paying your dues

And when you talk about hard work

And talent

And Scope

Comedy

Is 

Bob

Hope

It's been three years since I've seen that little tag scene/epilogue and I have to say it was very sweet even if I can't quite remember all of it.

As for the little quiz, my best guess would be the answer is Autotroph Annie and Celebrity Lu or whatever. Although God knows that a classic like Snoops The Lawyer should have been a winner, if only for ambition (all those verses!)

Another thing that bugs me a bit about multi cam sitcoms nowadays is when there are camera shots that you know they had to go out of their way to film. Sometimes they show a fourth wall, sometimes they show a ceiling or something, and it takes me out of the moment because I know that they had to stop filming to do this special shot. I think that's one reason why shows are so stale nowadays. It's 21 minutes at most and they spend hours working on it. Shows like Carol Burnett or Red Skelton were so organic. Especially on Red's show. If a prop didn't work, he would break character and yell at the prop man and make them redo it and the cameras kept rolling. It was funnier than nearly anything nowadays.

Hey, it STILL bothers ME that when i watched Lucy tell Ricky she was preggars, they show a one shot of her in front of the other Tropicana guests and none of them are moving or happy as they were in the previous shot, she's doing a pick up shot and it's obvious.

Comedy is the noblest profession

Comedy is the truth

Comedy is the something something something

Something something something something something

It is banishing everyone's blues

It is praying and paying your dues

And when you talk about hard work

And talent

And Scope

Comedy

Is 

Bob

Hope

It's been three years since I've seen that little tag scene/epilogue and I have to say it was very sweet even if I can't quite remember all of it.

As for the little quiz, my best guess would be the answer is Autotroph Annie and Celebrity Lu or whatever. Although God knows that a classic like Snoops The Lawyer should have been a winner, if only for ambition (all those verses!)

Yes, i too think it was autograph Annie and Celebrity Lu.

a) Like Hep

B) Wingding

c) Main Street USA

d) Leading Lady

e) Snoops the Lawyer

What i SAID or tried to say was that i think Lucy had to redo the number because something got screwed up, but yes, the two parts we saw on the special were seemless.  Imagine having to redo a number like that in front of THAT crowd of celebs but i agree with you, best number she ever did, and for that age looked gorgeous and did fine even if her timing was a mite slow.

a) Like Hep

B) Wingding

c) Main Street USA

d) Leading Lady

e) Snoops the Lawyer

I have no idea whwre i saw that but assume it was some show like ET that showed her at rehearsal for that special.

Hey, it STILL bothers ME that when i watched Lucy tell Ricky she was preggars, they show a one shot of her in front of the other Tropicana guests and none of them are moving or happy as they were in the previous shot, she's doing a pick up shot and it's obvious.

The bulk of that scene was their natural reactions (even though they re-filmed it later, they decided to go with the first take) and despite the one out of place pick up shot, it still manages to be one of the most emotionally touching moments in TV history.

The bulk of that scene was their natural reactions (even though they re-filmed it later, they decided to go with the first take) and despite the one out of place pick up shot, it still manages to be one of the most emotionally touching moments in TV history.

Yes, i KNOW that, but it still bothers me because it's so evident as many other pick up shots from the first seasons are so obvious.

Yes, i KNOW that, but it still bothers me because it's so evident as many other pick up shots from the first seasons are so obvious.

I notice a lot of pick up shots in shows from the fifties to the eighties. You'd think someone like Karl would be able to make them look more natural.

Sorry Mel Torme fans, it was "Leading Lady"

Snoops was the only song in the list that wasn't an original.  It was written for Groucho, I think.

My favorites (a tie): "Autograph Annie and Celebrity Lu".  Instead of hiring Carole Cook, they arranged it so Lucy kept repeating the same one note as A-M took the more demanding parts of the melody. And it works.  I don't know who wrote this but they really knew their obscure movie actors.  Where else would you find references to Helen Twelvetrees, Vera Rhuba Ralston, Toby Wing and Sabu?

and "Like Hep", though I can't decipher a lot of the lyrics.

"Hep" was written by Billy Barnes who wrote a lot of special material.  If anyone watched "Getting On", the part of the hospital they worked in was named the "Billy Barnes Wing".

I love the Autograph number and rank that as one of my top 2 variety show performances that Lucy did. I love that they did the encore in it. So much energy in it and Lucy fully holds her own against Ann. The other number I rank as tops on my list would be Chutzpah with Carol. Didn’t know about how they wrote the music to help Lucy. Wise decision to not have Carole dub it. The Hey Big Spender number is so jarring to me because of that. Lucy also seems to over emphasize the words too. I always thought that she was a good lip-syncher with all those movies where she got dubbed but this is the one time I find fault in her execution. Carole’s singing comes across better in the HL numbers she did for Lucy. I think it may be because then she was singing with someone else to help her out. I’ve noticed this anytime she has to sing with Carol Burnett. Carol’s vocals come across just a bit louder.

I love the Autograph number and rank that as one of my top 2 variety show performances that Lucy did. I love that they did the encore in it. So much energy in it and Lucy fully holds her own against Ann. The other number I rank as tops on my list would be Chutzpah with Carol. Didn’t know about how they wrote the music to help Lucy. Wise decision to not have Carole dub it. The Hey Big Spender number is so jarring to me because of that. Lucy also seems to over emphasize the words too. I always thought that she was a good lip-syncher with all those movies where she got dubbed but this is the one time I find fault in her execution. Carole’s singing comes across better in the HL numbers she did for Lucy. I think it may be because then she was singing with someone else to help her out. I’ve noticed this anytime she has to sing with Carol Burnett. Carol’s vocals come across just a bit louder.

Oh yeah, Chutzpah was terrific but i agree that Autograph Annie and Celebrity Lu is way up there, totally unexpected for her to do something totally different from what we usually saw, same for teh Shirley MacLaine special, loved them all.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Mel Torme fans, it was "Leading Lady"

Snoops was the only song in the list that wasn't an original.  It was written for Groucho, I think.

My favorites (a tie): "Autograph Annie and Celebrity Lu".  Instead of hiring Carole Cook, they arranged it so Lucy kept repeating the same one note as A-M took the more demanding parts of the melody. And it works.  I don't know who wrote this but they really knew their obscure movie actors.  Where else would you find references to Helen Twelvetrees, Vera Rhuba Ralston, Toby Wing and Sabu?

and "Like Hep", though I can't decipher a lot of the lyrics.

"Hep" was written by Billy Barnes who wrote a lot of special material.  If anyone watched "Getting On", the part of the hospital they worked in was named the "Billy Barnes Wing".

How the heck did that happen for Leading Lady? It sounds like something you'd hear on Barney. "You just use your imagination and you'll be a big sensation..." Also, what is this about Mel Torme fans? Are there any Mel Torme fans?