Comedy Ain't No Joke Re-Edit

Ok, now let's move on to the greatest singer of all time, the terrific Anthony Newly who saved Lucy in London from obscurity with his mini concert at the end.  I hear The Queen saw him in concert and kept fainting, she then gave him a standing ovation and tipped her tiara to him.

WOW did not know that. Newly's voice always weirded me out a bit.

Besides his songwriting, I guess what I mean is, is there anyone who likes Mel as a person?

Never cared for Mel as a singer...or a performer.   All seem to agree his ego was bigger than his talent.  Everyone connected with "the Judy Garland Show" has debunked Mel's account of backstage goings-on.  His first person writing is full of self-glorification. In his account, everybody else was incompetent or unreasonable but his is the only voice of reason.  

His songwriting: you have to admit "Mainstreet USA" is a catchy tune as is  "My Home Town" . However I take exception to the lyrics: "when someone tries to arrange it; we very gently SENTIMENTALLY change their plans"........Sentimentally??

Mel gets the credit for the "Wingding" songs but Bob O'Brien wrote the lyrics to "My Trousseau".

WOW did not know that. Newly's voice always weirded me out a bit.

THAT WAS A JOKE, as i know most people can't stand him or his voice and hated that part of the otherwise great Lucy in London special.  I loved the songs he sang and used to do an imitation of him in my younger days.  He was married to Joan Collins at the time and they made a nice couple of swingers.

Never cared for Mel as a singer...or a performer.   All seem to agree his ego was bigger than his talent.  Everyone connected with "the Judy Garland Show" has debunked Mel's account of backstage goings-on.  His first person writing is full of self-glorification. In his account, everybody else was incompetent or unreasonable but his is the only voice of reason.  

His songwriting: you have to admit "Mainstreet USA" is a catchy tune as is  "My Home Town" . However I take exception to the lyrics: "when someone tries to arrange it; we very gently SENTIMENTALLY change their plans"........Sentimentally??

Mel gets the credit for the "Wingding" songs but Bob O'Brien wrote the lyrics to "My Trousseau".

Did not know all that about him, ok, now i hate him, LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

Clip Consultant: Harry Carter

(don't know why this shows up as a link instead of the usual youtube still image)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdeelBlzs-k

That's pretty darn brilliant, Neil!  I love it.  Now can you see if you can put her eyebrows in the right place?  Seeing her eyebrows in the middle of her forehead is a bit disturbing.

THAT WAS A JOKE, as i know most people can't stand him or his voice and hated that part of the otherwise great Lucy in London special. I loved the songs he sang and used to do an imitation of him in my younger days. He was married to Joan Collins at the time and they made a nice couple of swingers.

One thing I appreciate about Newly is that his voice is, at least, unique., even if his diction is rather strange.

Still, he saw it through to the BITTTTAAAAAAHH EEEEENNNNNDDD.

One thing I appreciate about Newly is that his voice is, at least, unique., even if his diction is rather strange.

Still, he saw it through to the BITTTTAAAAAAHH EEEEENNNNNDDD.

I think the whole opening sequence in London with Lucy on the motorcycle and Newley singing to her is wonderful.  His end of show performance was a couple of numbers too long.  We don't tune in a Lucy special to hear Newley sing THAT much.  That sequence brought the pace of the special to a screeching halt especially since he's obviously singing to a pre-recorded track and not lipping too well.  Couldn't Newley just have done a couple chorus of "Gonna Build a MounTAIN" and let it go at that?  The show is redeemed by Lucy's pantomime and her wistful singing of "One Day in London".   Though the pantomime is pointless, she does it with such grace it's a beautiful sequence.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...