New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

This book looks very interesting - My Lucy Years by Sharon Thober, who apparently worked on The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy in the wardrobe department.

It looks like it's a Kindle/online only book.

My link

This book is pretty good save for all the punctuation/grammatical errors that drive me nuts. I like the chapter on Joan Crawford especially.

Wow. This lady claims Bob Crane hired a call girl for Gary while Lucy was busy filming "Yours, Mine and Ours". The call girl was so disgusted with Gary's perverted ways that she yelled at Crane for sending her to such a deviant. Can you believe that? Holy crap!

If Bob Crane's call girl calls you a pervert, you may have a problem... ;)

Sammy's story about young Steven (I don't want to spoil it for anyone who may have already purchased the book and not gotten to this part yet) seems to be completely fabricated. I wonder how much of this book is true or untrue. :blink:

Wow. This lady claims Bob Crane hired a call girl for Gary while Lucy was busy filming "Yours, Mine and Ours". The call girl was so disgusted with Gary's perverted ways that she yelled at Crane for sending her to such a deviant. Can you believe that? Holy crap!

Even Howard Rafayel's book told us the story about gary being over in England and being offered sex by those women who brought down the government at one point, the movie they made about them was called SCANDAL i think. Anyhoo, gary is so afraid their rendez vous will make the papers that he tells Howard, why don't they just come over and give us blow jobs instead.

Why, spill it sister?

It just went into more detail about Joan's time there filming that "Lucy Show" she was on (although this lady says it was "Here's Lucy"). Some stories about that time that I didn't hear before was Joan pulling her smock up all the way showing off her underwear and bra and leaving it there for everyone to goggle at her, and Lucy being horrified and angry with her, telling Sammy (the author) to do something about her. Also apparently Lucy called in Big Desi to deal with Joan and talk to her about her behavior on set, and then later on Sammy noticed Lucy and Desi walking around the lot hand-in-hand like 2 teenagers.

Also the show night was an actual disaster with Joan flubbing her lines and Gale, Viv, and Lucy having to pick them up for her. Some scenes had to be redone after the audience had left and they were there very late. Lucy came to Joan's dressing room and told her everything was going to be alright and then left. Joan was puzzled, thinking the show had gone well (she had been inebriated during the whole thing and was confused). Joan then wanted Sammy to accompany her to the big wrap party afterwards and Sammy said, "What party? There's no party." Joan said Lucy had told her there was going to be a huge party for her after the show with all her friends and she got very angry with Lucy because she believed Lucy had lied to her just to get her on the show. Called her a few nasty names behind her back.

Even Howard Rafayel's book told us the story about gary being over in England and being offered sex by those women who brought down the government at one point, the movie they made about them was called SCANDAL i think. Anyhoo, gary is so afraid their rendez vous will make the papers that he tells Howard, why don't they just come over and give us blow jobs instead.

Well, here's the whole story and maybe you can all judge for yourself if it has a grain of truth in it.

Sammy (the author) said Gary had always been friendly enough to her when he ran into her at the lot, smiling and saying 'hi' and making conversation, etc. Well one day Gary spotted Sammy talking to Bob Crane and got this horrified look on his face and from then on he was very rude with Sammy, sometimes ignoring her completely. When Sammy talked to Bob Crane again she told him about Gary acting so differently towards her, and this was when Crane told her the call girl story. Crane said, "He's scared that I told you about it and you're going to go to Lucy with it." Sammy said she'd never do that to Lucy, it would be too hurtful, but Crane said something like, "This just proves the validity of the story I told you. Why would he be so rude to you after he saw us speaking together? It's just his guilt talking." He then added, "I never knew what Lucy saw in that guy anyway." And Sammy agreed that she'd often wondered just what the hell Lucy saw in Gary.

If Bob Crane's call girl calls you a pervert, you may have a problem... ;)

Exactly what i was going to say, Bob Crane was a pervert from way back, so if gary topped him, geez, poor Lucy! :lucydisgust:

Listen, if this story's true, then maybe it will knock Gary a few pegs down in some people's eyes. He was no better a husband to Lucy than Desi was in my opinion, he was just more discreet with his shenanigans than Desi and was scared of Lucy finding out. Maybe the stories of Lucy and Desi continuing an affair for years and years after their divorce are true, and Gary knowing this got back at Lucy by occasionally having a few flings. I mean if Lucy and Desi were openly affectionate with each other after their divorce (Sammy's story of seeing them walking together holding hands -- Gary must've seen stuff like this and more between them), it probably made Gary feel a bit emasculated, jealous, and angry.

Not only that but this call girl thing was supposed to have happened when Lucy was away in San Francisco shooting scenes for "Yours, Mine and Ours," with Henry Fonda, whom Jane Fonda later said was deeply in love with Lucy during this time and they had a fling supposedly. Maybe that got back to Gary and he was like, "Two can play that game."

Anyway, I'll reserve judgment till the end of the book. Not all of it is scandalous material in there, so I don't think it's a smear job on Lucy or anything.

Listen, if this story's true, then maybe it will knock Gary a few pegs down in some people's eyes. He was no better a husband to Lucy than Desi was in my opinion, he was just more discreet with his shenanigans than Desi and was scared of Lucy finding out. Maybe the stories of Lucy and Desi continuing an affair for years and years after their divorce are true, and Gary knowing this got back at Lucy by occasionally having a few flings. I mean if Lucy and Desi were openly affectionate with each other after their divorce (Sammy's story of seeing them walking together holding hands -- Gary must've seen stuff like this and more between them), it probably made Gary feel a bit emasculated, jealous, and angry.

Not only that but this call girl thing was supposed to have happened when Lucy was away in San Francisco shooting scenes for "Yours, Mine and Ours," with Henry Fonda, whom Jane Fonda later said was deeply in love with Lucy during this time and they had a fling supposedly. Maybe that got back to Gary and he was like, "Two can play that game."

Anyway, I'll reserve judgment till the end of the book. Not all of it is scandalous material in there, so I don't think it's a smear job on Lucy or anything.

Please Taylor, i would kill to see some of that, can you PM me the juiciest things in there, just the gist of it? Any part of it would be fine until i figure out a way to get a copy of this great new book, i loves my gossip.

Well, here's the whole story and maybe you can all judge for yourself if it has a grain of truth in it.

Sammy (the author) said Gary had always been friendly enough to her when he ran into her at the lot, smiling and saying 'hi' and making conversation, etc. Well one day Gary spotted Sammy talking to Bob Crane and got this horrified look on his face and from then on he was very rude with Sammy, sometimes ignoring her completely. When Sammy talked to Bob Crane again she told him about Gary acting so differently towards her, and this was when Crane told her the call girl story. Crane said, "He's scared that I told you about it and you're going to go to Lucy with it." Sammy said she'd never do that to Lucy, it would be too hurtful, but Crane said something like, "This just proves the validity of the story I told you. Why would he be so rude to you after he saw us speaking together? It's just his guilt talking." He then added, "I never knew what Lucy saw in that guy anyway." And Sammy agreed that she'd often wondered just what the hell Lucy saw in Gary.

A CLEAN man fifteen years younger than her, that's the only things he had going for him. Lucy had said that Desi was always dirty and at least gary was clean. Who is this Sammy, i thought you were talking about a story from Sammy Davis at one point and what was she doing on the set?

Please Taylor, i would kill to see some of that, can you PM me the juiciest things in there, just the gist of it? Any part of it would be fine until i figure out a way to get a copy of this great new book, i loves my gossip.

Well, I'm afraid that was the gist of all the juicy stuff in there (about that particular incident). Sammy didn't go into exactly what the call girl said Gary demanded of her, but it must've been pretty disgusting for a Bob Crane call girl friend to say it was disturbing (like you all said). LOL. I bet it was the kinky stuff Gary knew Lucy would never allow him to do to her! :lucyhorror:

A CLEAN man fifteen years younger than her, that's the only things he had going for him. Lucy had said that Desi was always dirty and at least gary was clean. Who is this Sammy, i thought you were talking about a story from Sammy Davis at one point and what was she doing on the set?

"Sammy" is the nickname of Sharon Thober (the author) who was the female costumer on The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy for 8 years. Then that putz Gary got her fired because he was still sore at her for the Bob Crane thing and held a grudge against her. It all had to do with her letting this "Steven" kid onto the set to learn tips on becoming a director/producer without prior clearance from the higher-ups, and Gary found out she had fibbed about her knowing this Steven when all she wanted to do was help him get a foot in the door. Anyway, this Steven is now a bigtime director/producer who would've been around 19 in 1972 (Steven Spielberg?? Steven Soderbergh?? Who the frack is he?)

The rest of the book is about her meeting various celebrities on the lot and her encounters with them (Fred Astaire, Henry Fonda) and those chapters really didn't have much Lucy stuff in there. There was also the general talk in there about Lucy being tough, controlling, and intimidating, but a softie deep down, yiddah yaddah. Nothing else very earth-shaking. I just couldn't believe the stuff about Gary though. A LOT of people who worked behind the scenes hated him and thought he was a jerk. I never knew how many people disliked Gary. Wow.

"Sammy" is the nickname of Sharon Thober (the author) who was the female costumer on The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy for 8 years. Then that putz Gary got her fired because he was still sore at her for the Bob Crane thing and held a grudge against her. It all had to do with her letting this "Steven" kid onto the set to learn tips on becoming a director/producer without prior clearance from the higher-ups, and Gary found out she had fibbed about her knowing this Steven when all she wanted to do was help him get a foot in the door. Anyway, this Steven is now a bigtime director/producer who would've been around 19 in 1972 (Steven Spielberg?? Steven Soderbergh?? Who the frack is he?)

Sammy never reveals who Steven is, but we're supposed to assume its Spielberg. Steven Spielberg does claim that he snuck onto the Universal lot to gain experience, but it would have happened in 1965 or earlier. It's believed that Spielberg just made the story up too after he was famous just to be colorful. Here's Lucy moved to the Universal lot in 1971 and by that time Spielberg had directed the TV movie Duel and Joan Crawford's episode of Night Gallery, among other things. I think Sammy's story is fictitious and, as a result, I wonder what else is true or not in the book.

Sammy never reveals who Steven is, but we're supposed to assume its Spielberg. Steven Spielberg does claim that he snuck onto the Universal lot to gain experience, but it would have happened in 1965 or earlier. It's believed that Spielberg just made the story up too after he was famous just to be colorful. Here's Lucy moved to the Universal lot in 1971 and by that time Spielberg had directed the TV movie Drive and Joan Crawford's episode of Night Gallery, among other things. I think Sammy's story is fictitious and, as a result, I wonder what else is true or not in the book.

Hmm. :lucysmirk: Yeah, this is the first time ever that I'd heard about a Gary-cheating-on-Lucy story, but weren't there rumors swirling around whenever he was on one of his "golf trips" that he'd entertain some ladies on the side? I thought I'd read something along those lines way back when...anyway, all rumors start with a basis in fact usually so you never know.

It is kinda funny that Sammy says she doesn't remember Steven's last name, but then later says she saw him on The Actors Studio or something telling this story. Strange.

The rest of the book is about her meeting various celebrities on the lot and her encounters with them (Fred Astaire, Henry Fonda) and those chapters really didn't have much Lucy stuff in there. There was also the general talk in there about Lucy being tough, controlling, and intimidating, but a softie deep down, yiddah yaddah. Nothing else very earth-shaking. I just couldn't believe the stuff about Gary though. A LOT of people who worked behind the scenes hated him and thought he was a jerk. I never knew how many people disliked Gary. Wow.

Read the Howard Rafayel book, WHERE THE HELL IS DESILU? He says it like it is when it comes to gary. Cheap, con man, out for himself, conceited, finagling cuts for himself on everything, a real gem of a guy, gem, spelled J E R K . Wasn't there a thank you note or a fan like discourse from Mr Spielberg in one of those BOOKS on Lucy, you know one of the two with all those personal items copied in there.

Wasn't there a thank you note or a fan like discourse from Mr Spielberg in one of those BOOKS on Lucy, you know one of the two with all those personal items copied in there.

I had forgotten about that. There was a fan letter from Spielberg in The Lucy-Desi Scrapbooks. He does not mention that he attended Here's Lucy rehearsals for months. ;)

I had forgotten about that. There was a fan letter from Spielberg in The Lucy-Desi Scrapbooks. He does not mention that he attended Here's Lucy rehearsals for months. ;)

Maybe it was just implied, he wanted to thank her for being the inspiration, that huge boulder falling down on Harrison Ford in Raiders of the Lost Ark came to him when watching that giant loaf of bread pin her up against the stove on ILL.

By the way, did you people forget that gary used to do his stand up at Radio City Music Hall sometimes, among many lesser places, and he screwed every girl in the Rockettes. This head honcho woman there was quoted in a Lucy book once as saying she could tell which girl had been with gary the night before by how high she could kick. And Lucy herself said on the Barbara Walters interview that she knew of his prior reputation as a ladies man, that doesn't go away after marriage. Karen used to needle me that Lucy knew about Desi's philandering but married him anyway, seems she got the same thing from the bagle boy as she did from the taco man.