Cate Blanchett to star in Lucille Ball biopic written by Sorkin

Brock

I hope the misspelling of Lucie's name won't mean a retraction is coming, but the lead... and that it's "authorized" ?! :lucyshock::HALKING:

http://www.thewrap.com/cate-blanchett-lucille-ball-aaron-sorkin-biopic-escape-artists-exclusive/

Cate just needs to line up a Ginger Rogers biopic and then she'll have completed the seldom seen Stage Door trifecta.

• Like 1

Actually, one HALKING is not enough for this.

:HALKING: :HALKING: :HALKING: :HALKING: :HALKING: :HALKING:

This comment over at the Awards Watch forum made me chuckle:

The only thing to look forward is if they do the iconic grape stomp scene with Cate as Lucy and Isabelle Rossalinni as that Italian woman

Oddly enough, I would be more than on board with that as well.

Cate could turn Stage Door into a one-woman show, including tackling Adolphe Menjou with one of Linda Lavin's leftover fake mustaches.

I was a kid when "Alice" first aired, so I watched it.  But even then I just hated when Linda Lavin was in drag.  And now that I think of it, the episodes with Lucy in drag are not my favorites.

(excuse the typos and running on lol ) Im happy for the news however..Im so tired of the "Lucy" biopics, telling the same stories...

There is so much depth and so much grit to the life Lucy had after I Love Lucy began. 

The years  1957 through 67 are unbelievably exciting and interesting times for Lucy and the entire Desilu legacy- that can't be shown?

I would love if they showed the success Lucy came into after I Love Lucy- 

How she became so hard and so tough over time, and why she became that way, being the head of Desilu, and having to deal with the stress of it, often times crying after the day- juggling that with learning line and performing. 

I'd love to see her decision making processes when she brought on all of those celebrities  in her later shows, and Id even love to see

the age gap Lucy felt she had with the newer audience in the late 70s. I'd like to see how she performed, or her approach to those musical numbers on HL.

Id love to see the stories of how she went back to movies with Mame and how she handled the success and criticism of Mame. Can you imagine the Hollywood Mame parade scene? 

It'd be nice to see how Lucy transformed into Mrs Morton, and how she handled the death of her friends and co stars, Viv-Bill, Desi. 

Id love to see her in her seminars, and see how she got into doing that, how she felt about being honored by so many people.The stories of her telling prop  men where to find something, or adjusting the lights during blocking of the show, working with Liz Taylor and Richard Burton and Talulah Bankhead- demanding the soft lenses-  

What about Patty Duke? What about Liza, practically living with and being like Lucy's daughter.

Heck, I'd even love to see some detail into the radio and My Favorite Husband years. Often times, that's glanced over- with the exception of the work done in the documentary "Finding Lucy" which brought so much light to those years and the success it made Lucy- how she brought Desi on to have his own show, etc...I think we get the picture lol but, Its more to Lucy than meeting Desi, being cheated on and creating I Love Lucy. 

• Like 2

I hope this comes to fruition. Regardless of quality, I think it'll be fun.

Casting choices for celebs who may be represented:

Antonio Banderas as Desi

OR John Hamm w/ Cuban accent as Desi

John Goodman as Bill Frawley

Cloris Leachman as Kathryn Card

Tom Hanks as Phil Ober

Melissa McCarthy as Barbara Pepper

Meryl Streep as Bea Benaderet

Bill Hader as Bob Hope

Carol Burnett as Dede

Bill Murray as Gale Gordon

Kevin Spacey as Gary Morton

Peter Dinklage as Gary Morton's Toupee

Appearing as themselves:

Carole Cooke, Maureen O'Hara, and THE STAR!

• Like 1

(excuse the typos and running on lol ) Im happy for the news however..Im so tired of the "Lucy" biopics, telling the same stories...

There is so much depth and so much grit to the life Lucy had after I Love Lucy began.

The years 1957 through 67 are unbelievably exciting and interesting times for Lucy and the entire Desilu legacy- that can't be shown?

I would love if they showed the success Lucy came into after I Love Lucy-

How she became so hard and so tough over time, and why she became that way, being the head of Desilu, and having to deal with the stress of it, often times crying after the day- juggling that with learning line and performing.

I'd love to see her decision making processes when she brought on all of those celebrities in her later shows, and Id even love to see

the age gap Lucy felt she had with the newer audience in the late 70s. I'd like to see how she performed, or her approach to those musical numbers on HL.

Id love to see the stories of how she went back to movies with Mame and how she handled the success and criticism of Mame. Can you imagine the Hollywood Mame parade scene?

It'd be nice to see how Lucy transformed into Mrs Morton, and how she handled the death of her friends and co stars, Viv-Bill, Desi.

Id love to see her in her seminars, and see how she got into doing that, how she felt about being honored by so many people.The stories of her telling prop men where to find something, or adjusting the lights during blocking of the show, working with Liz Taylor and Richard Burton and Talulah Bankhead- demanding the soft lenses-

What about Patty Duke? What about Liza, practically living with and being like Lucy's daughter.

Heck, I'd even love to see some detail into the radio and My Favorite Husband years. Often times, that's glanced over- with the exception of the work done in the documentary "Finding Lucy" which brought so much light to those years and the success it made Lucy- how she brought Desi on to have his own show, etc...I think we get the picture lol but, Its more to Lucy than meeting Desi, being cheated on and creating I Love Lucy.

I agree 100%!!!!

An actress playing Lucy '51-'89 could easily get an Oscar.

On non-Lucy film forums, the two most common suggestions for Desi seem to be Oscar Isaac and Bobby Canavale. I'm not seeing either in the role.

If they aren't looking for a huge name, I could see Raul Esparza getting the role. He already has the Arnaz seal of approval. Danny Pino could give him tips on the Law & Order set.

Well since the kids are involved in this, I hope it's going to be good.  Just kind of strange to me why they felt the need to make a biopic on their parents' marriage.  Are they trying to set the record straight from the 2 previous disastrous TV movies or what?  Like I said on Facebook, I'm reserving judgment.   :lucyeww:

The rehash of the marriage years seems redundant.  Like you said we got that 3 times now.  The Home Movies being the best.  Granted a fictional version of this needs to be better than the other 2 movies but why are the post 60' years always forgotten.  Please do this woman some justice and explore those years.  Hell at this point I don't care if they squeezed into the last 30 mins of the film, but show she had a successful career for 3 more decades.