What episodes are you watching on "The Lucy Show"?

I just finished my watch of season 5 on DVD over the past week or so.  Now I only have season 6 to go and I'm done with all the three shows without cuts. That'll be a sad day. Of course I still have Life with Lucy to watch one day when it becomes more easily available.

So Lucy and the Efficiency Expert was an ok episode. Wikipedia calls it "Lucy and Phil Harris" but I'll go with the dvd box. (That's two now.) Substitute Secretary is my favorite of this season. Hmmm, I might call it my favorite of the final 3 seasons actually.

The Viv visits Lucy episode is a ridiculous set up with them acting like they could get away with dressing and acting like hippies. They do such a rush job at the beginning of the episode. First it's "Lucy!" "Viv!" and then suddenly after a little bit Viv and Lucy are deciding they just have to make sure that so-and-so's son isn't mixed up with all those big bad hippies. What a vacation for Viv. And those outfits. :) And what a predictable ending with the "I'm really not a hippie, I swear. I'm a good boy unlike these no good kids here who don't properly respect their elders!"

Lucy, the Baby Sitter has Mary Wickes in it. That's about all I have to say. Actually, I don't mind this episode but it's like Lucy just decided "hey, write an episode where I get to play with chimps" and the writers obliged. Oh, and I guess it's the first mention of the Unique Employment Agency. I assume Uncle Harry just hired this other woman to help him out that day.

Now the Main Street episodes I've always mildly liked and I know the song by heart. Helps that it's played over and over again over the course of the two episodes. I forgot Dick Rowan was in this one. He'd just been in the Carol Burnett one in Palm Springs so I thought he was gonna show up as the same character but nope. And I double-checked at the end of the second one because I was wondering "what happened to Mooney?" Gale's in the front with Lucy at the beginning of the "show" and then just walks off with Lucy after a dance and then she returns to dance and he's never seen again though there's still a few minutes left of the show. Must've been trying to dart out early to beat LA traffic.

I like Lucy Meets the Law. Mary Jane gets a couple great lines. "Whoever said women were the weaker sex never went shopping with us." And her delivery of "I've never seen that lady before in my life!" (Or something like that.) Love it. The mix-up with the littering and Lucy thinking that's why they were arresting her. The lady in the jail (Hard Head Hogan) with her is a riot. The line-up with a bunch of redheads. Yeah, I enjoy this episode a bunch for some reason.

Lucy, the Fight Manager. Meh. I like that they named Don Rickles "Eddie Rickles". Kinda unique. Usually you keep the same first name of the guest star but they did the opposite.

Lucy and Tennessee Ernie Ford is okay I guess. Lucy's dance at the hoedown is pretty similar to the one she dances in the 2nd Main Street episode.

Sheldon Leonard episode is good. I like Mary Jane getting such a big part here. I think they made better use of her near the end of Here's Lucy, but at least she got this episode to play a more Viv like role.

OK, onto season 6 though I might take a break.

" Gale's in the front with Lucy at the beginning of the "show" and then just walks off with Lucy after a dance and then she returns to dance and he's never seen again though there's still a few minutes left of the show. Must've been trying to dart out early to beat LA traffic.

He'd have made better time if Bancroft had just "put a freeway through" as originally planned.

The only part I like during the radio station kuffel is the "And now for a spot announcement.. Ruff Ruff... Well now thank you Spot"

You are correct o wise and insightful Lotus Bud.. We needed Viv there.. Too much going on for a very L O N G time for one person to contend with. (Although she did a credible job doncha think?)

I think Lucy did a respectable job given what she had to work with. But it isn't really funny to see her floundering so desperately all alone. Had Viv been there for her to bounce off of, we would've had a really memorable scene, I think.

• Like 1

"Lucy and Viv Reminisce." Ordinarily I loathe clip shows, regardless of the series or clips in question, as I like to see all new material in each episode. However, I make an exception for this one, as the clips selected are brilliant, even if they do draw attention to the nasally change that came about Vivian's voice in the wraparound segments.

Not long ago I rewatched "Lucy and Clint Walker." I recalled Slumber Party quite well, but for some reason I'd totally forgotten the plot of this one. The whole gag with the sweater had completely slipped my mind. Now that I've seen it again, hopefully I won't forget so I don't make the mistake of watching it any more!

Harumph! I love that and the other Clint Walker episode and think he was one of the few suitable suitors she had on TLS and HL.  Wish they'd had him recurring, even if the plotline never had them get too "serious". :blink:

"Lucy and Viv Reminisce." Ordinarily I loathe clip shows, regardless of the series or clips in question, as I like to see all new material in each episode. However, I make an exception for this one, as the clips selected are brilliant, even if they do draw attention to the nasally change that came about Vivian's voice in the wraparound segments.

When I first saw this show, my memory did not retain the 1st season of The Lucy Show (even though I was around for it), so it was a revelation to see "The Lucy Show" with its original premise and what sort of show it was meant to be before all the permutations plunked it mainly to that dull bank office set.

Includes my favorite of all writing credits "Based on an IDEA (caps are mine) by Hilda Josefsburg" for which Hilda most likely got a little money.  Simply by saying to husband Milt "Your scripts are so CRUMMY. Why don't you just run those old shows done by writers who knew what they were doing?"

Always the Lucy optimist, I had hoped Milt's viewing of those clips would inspire him to change the show's direction, even if it meant going to Bob&Madelyn, Schiller and Weiskopf or Jess Oppenheimer (even though he wasn't part of TLS) with hat in hand.

• Like 1

Simply by saying to husband Milt "Your scripts are so CRUMMY. Why don't you just run those old shows done by writers who knew what they were doing?"

LOL! There's a great behind-the-scenes series, "I Have Hilda," chronicling the misadventures of a hack writer who lands a major job he isn't qualified for, and the nagging, meddlesome wife who actually has good ideas and tries to get him to listen to her.

Milt: Sid Gould

Hilda: Vanda Barra

Lucille Ball: Carole Cook

Gary Morton: Jack Benny

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sat, 12/12/15:

"Lucy and the Countess Lose Weight"

"Lucy, the Disc Jockey"

Sun, 12/13/15:

"Lucy and the Old Mansion"

"Lucy, the Bean Queen"

"Lucy and the Ring-a-Ding Ring"

"Lucy and Paul Winchell"

"Lucy and the Submarine"

"Lucy Flies to London"

Later in the day -

"Lucy Waits Up For Chris"

"Lucy's Sister Pays a Visit"

"Lucy and Her Electric Mattress"

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

"Lucy, the Philanthropist"

"Lucy Gets Mooney Fired"

"Lucy Conducts a Symphony"

"The Loophole in the Lease"

"Lucy Plays Florence Nightingale"

"Lucy and the Return of Iron Man"

"Lucy, the Undercover Agent"

"Lucy Goes Duck Hunting"

"Lucy and Bob Crane"

"Lucy, the Robot"

• Like 1

"Lucy, the Philanthropist"

"Lucy Gets Mooney Fired"

"Lucy Conducts a Symphony"

"The Loophole in the Lease"

"Lucy Plays Florence Nightingale"

"Lucy and the Return of Iron Man"

"Lucy, the Undercover Agent"

"Lucy Goes Duck Hunting"

"Lucy and Bob Crane"

"Lucy, the Robot"

Harrison,

I love your "style"!

Do you however ever say, pick one disc of a certain season and watch all 7 or 8 in a row that way?? Not that I don't get your "pick and choose" method... although it seems a bit more...effort.  Just curious! :lucythrill:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

"The Lucy Show" is back on Me-TV.  I watched "L&V are Astronauts" this morning, an early episode, one of those filmed before the Oct. 1st debut.  Viv's got some great moments:  walking down stairs in too-tight uniform; glaring at Lucy when Lucy opens the door to the bed she's trapped in; and the line "From now on, I'll be known as 'Chicken Switch Bagley". 

This formula has been used several times:  someone is putting on an act to intimidate or frighten someone (usually Lucy), then in the middle of the 'act', Lucy gets tipped off and turns the tables on them. 

I wonder if Nancy Kulp had a week off from Beverly Hillbillies;  if BH had not started filming when Astronauts was done; or if Nancy had been signed for the TLS role before BH was picked up as a series.   Nancy Kulp is the only person I'm aware of to appear in the two BIG hits of the 62-63 season.  

Rarely has a season spawned TWO such hits simultaneously.   TLS was #1 among all shows for the first part of the season but BH emerged as the year's #1 show and remained so for its 2nd season 63-64, surely a nice surprise for CBS.  I don't know what happened in its 3rd year but it dropped to #12, its lowest ranking in the first 7 years of its 9-season run.   (Season 8: still respectible at #18....Last Season 9: night/time change and it dropped out of the top 30.  Rumor has it that the ratings were still OK but BH was part of CBS's rural purge to make room for the reduced prime time rule handed down from the FCC----why this was so important that the federal government got involved is baffling.  

Other highly rated rural shows getting the boot: Mayberry #15, Hee Haw #16, Jim Nabors Hour #29, "Nabors" was a variety show and  while not necessarily rural, it attracted a decidedly older crowd.   CBS also cancelled other high rated shows that skewed to older audiences.  1970 saw Red Skelton go  after 19 seasons (some of those on NBC) which was still at #7! plus Jackie Gleason (8 seasons) and Petticoat Junction( 7 seasons, at least 5 too many!), followed by Ed Sullivan in 1971 after an incredible 23 years.   It's been said that 'Lucy' in its 9th year as a top 10 show, was on the chopping block but what network is their right mind would cancel their HIGHEST RATED show of the 70-71 season?

"The Lucy Show" is back on Me-TV.  I watched "L&V are Astronauts" this morning, an early episode, one of those filmed before the Oct. 1st debut.  Viv's got some great moments:  walking down stairs in too-tight uniform; glaring at Lucy when Lucy opens the door to the bed she's trapped in; and the line "From now on, I'll be known as 'Chicken Switch Bagley". 

This formula has been used several times:  someone is putting on an act to intimidate or frighten someone (usually Lucy), then in the middle of the 'act', Lucy gets tipped off and turns the tables on them. 

I wonder if Nancy Kulp had a week off from Beverly Hillbillies;  if BH had not started filming when Astronauts was done; or if Nancy had been signed for the TLS role before BH was picked up as a series.   Nancy Kulp is the only person I'm aware of to appear in the two BIG hits of the 62-63 season.  

It's a shame the Jane Corey character wasn't brought back for further installments. The backstory of Lucy and Viv meeting in the WAVES had so much un-mined potential and Jane could have added a Cheever-like authority dynamic to the Lucy and Viv relationship not unlike Mooney and Cheever,

• Like 1

ME-TV's Lucy shows sometimes have the b/w kaleidoscope opening and sometimes the stick figures.

"Lucy the Music Lover" was on yesterday.  I'd forgotten just how good that one is.  The episodes really clips along with crisp dialogue and loads of laughs from start to finish.  It's the best of the three 'arm behind the curtain' episodes helped in no small part to Frank Aletter.  I would like to have seen him in more episodes.  The Lucy vs Viv over the same man theme wasn't used very much and it's always fun. 

And yes, some record stores really did have sound-proof listening booths back then.  They would have a sample in the racks so you could listen before you buy. 

Frank did a wonderful job of replicating the fingering of a violin player.   Dr. Eastman delivers the shortest concert since Ethel Mae Potter's triumphant return to Albuquerque!  

My favorite lines (and there are so many):  "You didn't waste any time turning on your Bunson Burner, Bagley" (Was future husband Vern heir to the Bunson Burner Empire?)...This may be my favorite line of the entire series.

"You bet your sweet life that.....oh, he's back!"

"He likes Beethoven but his favorite is Tcaichowsky.....but he's in the wash" 

(shoving store clerk Grace out the way) "Well wrap it up". (the Bobby Darin album)

Dr. Sam: "You've heard Beethoven conducting a rhapsody on a theme of Paganini".....Lucy's facial expressions are priceless as he goes on and on and she realizes she's over her head; then the slight pause before her response..."Not lately" magnifies just how important great timing instinct is. 

(Sam's description of the music is longer and more complicated than that.  Kudos to Aletter for getting it out in one take and making it sound natural.  Also kudos to the writers for coming up with something that sounds this authentic.)

In the scene where Dr. Sam and Viv bore Lucy with their duets, Lucy never looked more beautiful and stylish.  Ever. 

And watch MaryJane/Audrey's facial expressions when Lucy is telling Sam just how musical her whole family is. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Decades tv ran "Lucy the Stuntman" the other night.  Usually the series and episodes Decades chooses to run have something to do with the date or the topics covered in their daily "Through the Decades" show.  This episode ran on the date it was originally shown in 1965.

Yes, it's silly but I like it: a fun episode.

However, Decades usually runs a little intro to any episode shown.  The narration talked about "The Lucy Show" debuting on Oct. 1, 1962, then over footage of Lucy in Ironman Carmichael garb said "it was based on Irene Kampen's delightful book about two divorced women living together".  

"Stuntman" is above as far afield of anything depicted in "Life Without George" as you can get.  (Unless it was "Life Without Gorgeous George") 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoying season 4 episodes:  Lucy and the Golden Greek, Lucy In The Music World, Lucy and Danny Thomas, Lucy and Dean Martin, Lucy The Choirmaster, all three episodes with Ann Sothern, Lucy & Joan and of course Lucy's takeoff on The Untouchables with Robert Stack.  I really enjoyed season 4 and it's one of the most successful in terms of viewers.  It finished in third place during the 65-66 tv season with a 27.6 rating, only bonanza and Gomer Pyle were higher.  Gomer was just 0.1 higher than Lucy.  The fourth season also earned Lucy her second of 4 Emmy Nominations (2 wins during 66-67 and 67-68 tv seasons).  It was a very good year for Lucy.