What episodes are you watching on "The Lucy Show"?

I'm also a fan of season 4.  There are many that are not on board with us.   Yes, there were some real duffers ("Rain Goddess", "Superwoman" to name 2).  Though there were a few mentions of Danfield in LA, the move to California was a definite break with whatever continuity the premise had had.  Within 3 weeks of arriving in LA, Lucy Carmichael was performing on national TV ("Wingding!") and met 11 celebrities (4 of them were cameos in "Hollywood Premiere"), dating 2 of them!  12, if you count Jimmy Piersal.

Enjoying season 4 episodes:  Lucy and the Golden Greek, Lucy In The Music World, Lucy and Danny Thomas, Lucy and Dean Martin, Lucy The Choirmaster, all three episodes with Ann Sothern, Lucy & Joan and of course Lucy's takeoff on The Untouchables with Robert Stack.  I really enjoyed season 4 and it's one of the most successful in terms of viewers.  It finished in third place during the 65-66 tv season with a 27.6 rating, only bonanza and Gomer Pyle were higher.  Gomer was just 0.1 higher than Lucy.  The fourth season also earned Lucy her second of 4 Emmy Nominations (2 wins during 66-67 and 67-68 tv seasons).  It was a very good year for Lucy.

I'm also a fan of season 4.  There are many that are not on board with us.   Yes, there were some real duffers ("Rain Goddess", "Superwoman" to name 2).  Though there were a few mentions of Danfield in LA, the move to California was a definite break with whatever continuity the premise had had.  Within 3 weeks of arriving in LA, Lucy Carmichael was performing on national TV ("Wingding!") and met 11 celebrities (4 of them were cameos in "Hollywood Premiere"), dating 2 of them!  12, if you count Jimmy Piersal.

Even though the last two seasons were set in Hollywood, I tend to view season 4 as THE Hollywood season as we see more of Lucy in the Hollywood scene (dating and bumping into stars, seeing a Hollywood premiere, being a stuntman, meeting a soap opera writer, appearing on TV programs, etc.)  and less of her at the bank. And that would make sense too as the people involved in retooling (the show from the earlier seasons) originally wanted the Lucy Carmichael character to get a taste of Hollywood. Sort of like Lucy Ricardo in season 4 of I Love Lucy. I think the reason why the focus got shifted to Lucy working at a bank for other two remaining seasons was because of the Mr. Mooney character. They needed a realistic setting for those two characters to interact. Lucy having misadventures in Hollywood wouldn't cut it. Anyways, even though season four is certainly not a strong season I enjoy it anyways for what it is.

A month or so ago (right before the election):

Mini-Marathon sitting:

"Lucy and Pat Collins"

"Mooney the Monkey"

"Lucy and Phil Silvers"

"Lucy's Substitute Secretary"

"Viv Visits Lucy"

"Lucy, the Babysitter"

One sitting:

"Lucy Meets Sheldon Leonard"

"Lucy and Tennessee Ernie Ford"

"Lucy Gets Her Diploma"

Watched Last Week:

"Lucy Goes Duck Hunting"

"Lucy Decides to Redecorate"

"Lucy Goes to Art Class"

"Lucy Tries Winter Sports"

"Lucy, the Stuntman"

"Lucy in the Music World" (tried watching this three different times ... fell asleep each time)

"Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest"

"Lucy and the Lost Star"

Had a mini-marathon last night (11/27/16):

"Lucy Helps the Countess"

"Lucy, the Sleeping Beauty"

"Lucy Helps Danny Thomas"

"Lucy, the Undercover Agent"

"Lucy and the Return of Iron Man"

"Lucy Saves Milton Berle"

"Lucy, the Choirmaster"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

(12/30/16) - very early morning:

"Lucy and the French Movie Star"

"Lucy Gets Trapped"

Just learned that Jacque made appearances on other sitcoms of the time like The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Beverly Hillbillies, and Get Smart. I am sure I've seen the others but, at time I guess, I didn't recognize him as a guest star from TLS.

(12/30/16) - Early evening:

"Together For Christmas" along with other Xmas episodes from the Christmas Treats Compilation DVD.

• 1 month later...

"Lucy Takes Up Golf"---with new boyfriend Gary Stewart.

This is the one that was filmed the day in November when Kennedy was shot.  Well, the show must go on.  You'd never know from watching the performers that had happened.   I knew one of the 2nd season shows was not done before an audience but didn't know it was this one until someone pointed it out.  The laugh track seems real enough. 

Gary does an acceptable job, but if Lucy has been dating him for 3 months (as Viv says), how come we haven't heard of him before?  or after especially when the show ends with Gary declaring "Lucy, I love you"?

Lucy's polo shot is pretty spectacular.  As always, she makes everything look so easy. 

This is probably the last time in the series we see Lucy without false eyelashes.

Next up in the marathon: "Lucy Teaches Ethel Merman to Sing"

• Like 1

"Lucy and the Countess Lose Weight"*

Nobody seems to like this one, but I watched it during the marathon and I don't see what's so bad about it.  It's no landmark half-hour  but it's funny in a wacky, view-it-once, throw-away way.  If this was a "Here's Lucy", it might make my top 20!  The opening scene has some funny lines.  In fact the whole show clips along hilariously. 
Though I have to wonder what Ann Sothern thought when she opened the script and saw the title.  Too be fair, Ann was no bigger than your average 56 year old woman.  She was short and (according to her cousin) "bosomy" so any weight gain is going to show.  But she's not THAT fat in the Countess episodes.  Standing next to still-svelte Lucy doesn't help matters.

But when Ann Sothern is discussed, it seems like her weight is often mentioned.

Mooney: "Those ladies are doing OK on 300 calories a day."

Countess: "It's not fair.  They came with a reserve supply. "  ignoring the fact that one of the trio of 'fatties', Carole Cook is no bigger than Ann.  Carole is outfitted to look bigger than she actually was.  (she's pretty slim as Mrs. Valence in "My Fair Lucy")

A little subtle piece of comedy in the episode.  In the scene after each of them bites Mooney's legs, he appears next with bandages with no mention of why.   Then he's got a bandaged head after the wall of barbells falls on him.   It's actually great Gale Gordon episode.  He's got a couple of his patented, funny "oh good heavens"  takes when he looks at the biggest woman. 

And at least, the cow is a real animal so Lucy doesn't have to milk Janos Prohaska. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

In honor of Feud I watched "Lost Star".  So much had changed between the 4 years between the last BBBM Lucy Show and this one.  The writing and performing styles (both Lucy's and Viv's, but not Mooney's really) are all so differently.  Yet the credits still claim it's "based on the book "Life without George".  Or could it be the sequel: "Life without The Children"?

Joan is a little hesitant on her first few lines but acquits herself well, waiting for the laugh after Mooney's line "Good. Then it's deductible" before she says "I know. I'm deducting it".  

She's also good in the unfunny "Speakeasy Days" "PLAY" supposed written by Lucy Carmichael, exactly the reason I don't like these later shows.  Lucy and Viv don't perform as their characters.  They're actresses in a variety show skit.  Fine for that but not for a sitcom.   The "play"'s script is so gaggy; in both senses of the word.  Not something that Lucy C. would pen.  

I find it so hard to believe that Lucy was as insulting to Joan as they say "You call THAT dancing?", etc. 

It's hard to know for sure what actually happened that week.  It's always told with Lucy as the bitch and Joan as the victim.  But what people don't understand is that they had to put something together to film in 3 days and the ultimate responsibility was Lucy's (although it should have been the producer's). 

I love that the script plays to Joan's ego so much.  Lew "All the producers are screaming for MORE Joan Crawford movies!!".  Like "Berserk"??  Well I guess "screaming" is the word. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Season Six

(Disc One, The Lucy Show The Complete Series, CBS DVD/Paramount Home Entertainment)

#133 "Lucy Meets the Berles" OAD September 11, 1967

W: Bob O'Brien; D: Maury Thompson

Lucy tries to help Milton Berle fix his marriage.

#134 "Lucy Gets Trapped" OAD September 18, 1967

W: Milt Josefsberg and Ray Singer; D: Jack Donohue

Lucy fakes illness to go shopping, but when she becomes the ten-millionth customer at the department store, she tries to prevent Mooney from seeing her picture in the paper.

#135 "Lucy and the French Movie Star" OAD September 25, 1967

W:  Bob O'Brien; D: Jack Donohue

Lucy gets drunk on a French movie star's champagne. Guest starring Jacques Bergerac.

#136 "Lucy and the Starmaker" OAD October 2, 1967

W: Fred S. Fox and Seaman Jacobs; D: Jack Donohue

Lucy helps a young man get into show business. Guest starring Frankie Avalon.

#137 "Lucy Gets Her Diploma" Jack Donohue OAD October 9, 1967

W: Ray Singer and Milt Josefsberg; D: Jack Donohue

Lucy goes back to high school to get her diploma.

• 1 month later...

I love "Lucy Gets a Job at the Bank" from season 2, one of 4 (I think) that are written by Bob and Madelyn alone.  (Others: "Pie Baking" "Serves a Summons to Mooney" and....one more? All great including the much-maligned "Pie Baking").

"Gets a Job" is a great Lucy Show, grounded in reality, something subsequent Lucy writers weren't all that concerned about.  Apparently there was indeed an LA bank that experimented with the "robber in the hole" method.  (Bob and Madelyn researched it). 

My favorite scene is the string of phone calls from woman to woman and the well-written progression to the logical jumping to conclusion that Kathleen does.   Although there was FDIC insurance after the depression, all of these women would remember the era where banks failed and people lost their money. 

And talk about your extras!  This one has more than most.  Hilarious that a whole bridal party storms the bank. 

Viv is great in this one too.  Finding out that the bank is failing and running out the door with that "thing" on her head.  (What is it? A hair dryer bonnet?)  And her great stud-walk as the bank robber.  

Lucy, of course, is brilliant.  So cute with her pop-up passbook pitch.  And deftly catching the passbook in mid air as it jumps out of the toaster.   Imagine she practiced that a few times. 

• Like 2

I love "Lucy Gets a Job at the Bank" from season 2, one of 4 (I think) that are written by Bob and Madelyn alone.  (Others: "Pie Baking" "Serves a Summons to Mooney" and....one more? All great including the much-maligned "Pie Baking").

"Gets a Job" is a great Lucy Show, grounded in reality, something subsequent Lucy writers weren't all that concerned about.  Apparently there was indeed an LA bank that experimented with the "robber in the hole" method.  (Bob and Madelyn researched it). 

My favorite scene is the string of phone calls from woman to woman and the well-written progression to the logical jumping to conclusion that Kathleen does.   Although there was FDIC insurance after the depression, all of these women would remember the era where banks failed and people lost their money. 

And talk about your extras!  This one has more than most.  Hilarious that a whole bridal party storms the bank. 

Viv is great in this one too.  Finding out that the bank is failing and running out the door with that "thing" on her head.  (What is it? A hair dryer bonnet?)  And her great stud-walk as the bank robber.  

Lucy, of course, is brilliant.  So cute with her pop-up passbook pitch.  And deftly catching the passbook in mid air as it jumps out of the toaster.   Imagine she practiced that a few times.

Though hard to narrow it down to one choice, this is probably my favorite season 2 episode, for all the reasons you described.

• Like 1

"Substitute Secretary" run by Decades the other day, commemorating 1967 50 years ago.  (Was it??)  Even though I've got it in at least 5 different forms from 5 different sources (including those "Lost" episodes), I couldn't resist watching it again.  They do a little intro and in it, the hostess said of this season that "'The Lucy Show' was the 2nd highest rated show on the air, confusing this season with the next.  And if we're talking about the 1967 part of the 67-68 season, "The Lucy Show"  was the #1 show on the air.

"SS" is great fun.  Lucy's 5th season hoarseness is actually kind of cute but you can tell she's not doing herself any future favors by straining her voice.  I think this season's vocal straining, more than anything was the cause of her later-in-life gravely voice.  (Not "Wildcat", no drinking or smoking).  I've said this before but I'll say it again:  "Margo" is one of Lucy's most enjoyable dress-up character creations in her entire television career.   The sustained laughter that greets her entrance is long and genuine as Lucy/Margo sways her hips back and forth waiting for it to die down.  Everything she says is hilarious.  She's in complete control without overdoing it. Even "Where?" gets a laugh.  (To Audrey's "And over there....").  I love the way Margo laughs at her own jokes.  I don't think we've seen this characterization in any form in the past (or since).  Have we?  For this episode alone, her 5th season Emmy was well-deserved (though she's good in others too). 

Why does Mooney pronounce "bar" and if it was "bah"?  

Apparently Juan Jose did his drag act the night before because he's forgotten to take his eye make up off  (and of course nobody notices).   Someone needs to tell "Esta" about his double life.  Is her Juan Jose a racist portrayal?  I don't think so, but I can't tell for sure.  Juan's machine overflowing with suds immediately after he turns it on was an unnecessary bit of business.  

And yes, Lucy looks and sounds nothing like Barbara Morrison, but the rest of the episode is so good, I can forgive that. 

I like that they at least give a nod as to why Lucy would have these outfits.  This sort of early-in-show set up of something that happens later is too often overlooked in the post Bob-Madelyn years.   Mary Jane brought these "kooky" outfits from the studio including Margo's wig. "You can be a brunette one night just for kicks"....and apparently you can be a Mexican man and a buxom dowager for one night too--if you want!

This script has the word "kooky" in it THREE times, said by 3 different people (I think).  Just something I noted.  A shining Bob O'Brien script.   Practically all of my favorite Lucy episodes post 63-64 were written by Bob O.  So many that I can forgive him for "Safari". 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Over the past few days:

Lucy Is a Process Server- Always liked this one. I think it would've been a good season finale. 

Lucy the Camp Cook- One of my favorite season three episodes. I love Lucy's delivery of some one-liners in this one. "You got a lot to learn about a kitchen, kid."

Lucy Goes to Marineland- Watched this episode mostly for nostalgia. I remember watching this one with my gram back when it was on Nick at Nite.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucy and Phil Harris

I"m not a fan of the 6th season, mainly because the Lucy Carmichael of this season is so far afield from the Lucy Carmichael as created by 3Bobs&Madelyn.  I was never wild about "Phil Harris" but it's grown on me.  You have to give Bob O'Brien credit for creating characters with a backstory in the short running time of a half-hour show.   This one has some genuine pathos and dialogue that doesn't just set up the jokes,  very rare for this series especially at this point.   I love Phil's interaction with Lucy at the piano bar ("We've got a live one here tonight") and Mooney's reactions to Lucy's loud off-key singing.  Lucy's funny, but SO class-less and brass.  Would 1st-2nd season Lucy be so clueless as to cause such a scene that the manager would "start to get complaints from other customers"?   During one moment back at Lucy's apartment when Phil is reflecting seriously in that gaudy robe, the audience laughs and he shoots them a derisive look.  I've never noticed that Phil is actually crying when he's singing the "But I Loved You" song to "B.B."    But what a waste of Carole Cook seen briefly as one of the bar patrons.  She's not even in the wide shot of the people around the piano!  I understand that they wanted to present the song sounding as good as possible, but the orchestra from nowhere cut into the believability of the episode.

Lucy Carmichael may be classless but she's a wonderful person, selflessly trying to help a total stranger, a common theme in the 6th season. 

I've been skimming through season three over the past couple of days. Stray thoughts:

The armchair and ottoman located stage right in the living room would be in fashion today. 

Good Skate is kind of incredible- more than I've noticed before. The camera coordination and blocking of actors during the climax is great. 

Makes A Pinch is highly underrated.

I love the Arthur Godfrey episode- for many reasons. Let's note that it features both Carole Cook and Max Showalter, who would go on to play the grandparents in Sixteen Candles. I kinda wish they'd given Carole her own song for the show. Danfield is located in upstate New York, so the ideal choice for a musical theme is... Dixieland? The show-within-a-show episodes are often criticized as "lazy", but come on, they wrote all this original music for it- and it wasn't bad either. It's also interesting that they set up the show with Lucy and Viv in that horseback setting, rather than just showing up at an office or something. High definition DVD's combined with 56-inch TVs have not been kind to Arthur Godfrey's teeth.

Also (it goes without saying), Steamboat Bessie: What a Gal!!!

• Like 2

On 10/17/2017 at 4:17 PM, Freddie2 said:

I've been skimming through season three over the past couple of days. Stray thoughts:

The armchair and ottoman located stage right in the living room would be in fashion today. 

Good Skate is kind of incredible- more than I've noticed before. The camera coordination and blocking of actors during the climax is great. 

Makes A Pinch is highly underrated.

I love the Arthur Godfrey episode- for many reasons. Let's note that it features both Carole Cook and Max Showalter, who would go on to play the grandparents in Sixteen Candles. I kinda wish they'd given Carole her own song for the show. Danfield is located in upstate New York, so the ideal choice for a musical theme is... Dixieland? The show-within-a-show episodes are often criticized as "lazy", but come on, they wrote all this original music for it- and it wasn't bad either. It's also interesting that they set up the show with Lucy and Viv in that horseback setting, rather than just showing up at an office or something. High definition DVD's combined with 56-inch TVs have not been kind to Arthur Godfrey's teeth.

Also (it goes without saying), Steamboat Bessie: What a Gal!!!

Love your thoughts!

Though writers Marshall and Belson in their first Lucy script  try to set up the reason for the necessity of Lucy wearing skates to the dance, it's still strains credibility.   But who cares. when you have Lucy on skates. .  The athletics alone:  Lucy skating to choreography makes this episode a worthy season-opener.

I'm usually not a fan of putting-on-a-show-within-a-show but I put that aside for "Arthur Godfrey".  The Max Showalter songs are all immediately catchy and all the comedy works for the most part.  I hadn't noticed Arthur Godfrey's teeth but they couldn't be any worse than Barbara Morrison/Mrs. Winkler's!

Not been a fan of "Pinch" but will re-watch it because of your insightful insights.  You obviously know what you're talking about. 

• Like 1

I started an in-order marathon last year, but stopped right at the beginning of season 3. I'll have to resume it sometime soon, as I haven't seen these episodes in years and have forgotten many details.

Season 3 was the DVD set I was most anxious for; I couldn't wait to see the Countess episodes and the alternate opening titles with Viv's credit (for some reason, the season 3 episodes released by Columbia House utilized the titles without her name, even though she appeared in all four episodes they issued).

Another Columbia House curiosity - their print of Lucy & the Ceramic Cat was improperly color balanced. The black-and-white clips in the opening appeared light purple, Lucy's hair was practically pink and the green rug in the living room registered as orange! And no, this wasn't just a lone tape aberration; I happened to land two copies of that particular tape and both appeared identical. This being the only season 3 episode put out by Columbia House that showed the Danfield House living room, I assumed for the longest time that Lucy & Viv redecorated with an orange rug that year. It wasn't until the DVD set in 2010 that I learned otherwise.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A week or so ago, I watched TV Antenna again. It might be my all-time favorite from TLS. The big physical comedy scene on the roof is BRILLIANT (not only the way it’s written, but the way it’s staged, filmed, and performed- perfection), but this episode has some hilarious dialogue. Lucy in particular seems to be on a roll- not that she isn’t always great (duh) but there’s a spark in her that you don’t often see. 

Recently, I was at a beloved secondhand bookstore in the city that also sells DVDs and vinyl and stuff like that. Out of curiosity, I picked out a couple of Sing Along with Mitch albums that were in excellent condition. The music is perfectly fine, but it’s no Papa Oo-Mow-Mow. Heck, it’s not even a Long, Long Trail!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lucy and Robert Goulet

This one's worth it for Vanda Barra alone. What a great debut scene! I'd argue it's one of her funniest moments in any Lucy episode. Something I didn't pick up on until this viewing - Dottie grimaces and covers her face because the lemon squirted juice in her eye. I'd previously thought she was reacting in disgust to Lucy's ketchup soup. The rest of the show isn't that great - I agree with Fidelman that Goulet was misused. Like Vanda livening up the opening, however, Mary Wickes rescues the final scene. "Hungarian Goulets!"

Lucy Gets Mooney Fired 

This is a good one. A strong final season entry. I enjoy seeing the episodes where Lucy and Mooney work together rather than against one another. Roy Roberts is excellent here; you almost feel bad for him towards the end. It certainly was convenient that Mooney's office had all those extra switches - and not just in front of the windows, either. Lucy certainly obtained those groovy curtains in a hurry, along with that painting of Washington/Mooney. She must know a good art forger who does rush jobs. 

Lucy at Marineland

I know it's a controversial season premiere but I enjoy Marineland. It's a fun change of pace. Normally I'm not a huge fan of location episodes but this one is well handled. The behind-the-scenes footage shows it was not at all fun for Lucy (or anyone), but the onscreen results were worth it. It does seem odd, however, that Mooney is so surprised to run into Lucy - surely he realized he was being transferred to the same location she'd moved to? She'd had to have told him the family was moving in order to transfer her trust fund.  You'd think he'd have his guard up, dreading running into her at any second. At least Viv and Sherman get a mention - better than some other series have handled departing characters. But I know we all agree there were many missed opportunities here. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Lucy at Marineland

I It does seem odd, however, that Mooney is so surprised to run into Lucy - surely he realized he was being transferred to the same location she'd moved to? She'd had to have told him the family was moving in order to transfer her trust fund.  You'd think he'd have his guard up, dreading running into her at any second. At least Viv and Sherman get a mention - better than some other series have handled departing characters. But I know we all agree there were many missed opportunities here. 

You're right.  They could have ended season 3 with the complication surrounding Viv's upcoming wedding and starting season 4 with the "event" premiere of Viv's wedding, an hour-long show that could have included clips of their adventures and a tearful parting of the ways.  Maybe pre-Rhoda (and later Phyllis), Lucy could have forgotten to pick Viv up for the wedding.   ("Marineland" could WAIT!)

With Viv no longer renting, Mooney might have told her she can no longer afford the house and should consider moving into an apartment. It's good-bye to Chris as she heads off to college (a separate episode) and Jerry suddenly going alt-right and insisting on military school (another separate episode), leaving Lucy alone.  Then Mooney says he's making a change with a transfer to southern California and has picked out a delightful apartment in Hollywood ("There are scads of them there!")  , which would give Lucy the idea:  "I've always loved the idea of living in California.  The closest I've ever gotten was Las Vegas."   Cut to Mooney's face: "Oh NOOOOO!".   Lucy: "I KNOW!!!  We can go in 1/3-2/3rds on a  moving van and drive cross-country together (which could have encompassed 3 episodes including "Theodore's Home Town").  Where's Irma?  She's gone ahead to get the apartment ready.  Lucy figures she should only pay 1/3 because most of the van is taken up with Irma's body-building gym equipment (although I don't think Irma was depicted as the bow-legged 7 ft.tall  'tough-guy-looking' monster she eventually became).  Once they arrive, they discover Audrey Simmons as a stowaway escaping Danfield under the witness-protection program and given a new identity, with a new chipmunk cadence to her voice to thwart the mafia on her trail.  Audrey's crime: under mafia influence, she threw the Danfield Firebells softball game to Ridgebury and had turned state's evidence.  I only wish Frannie, Thelma and Kathleen had joined her stowing away to California. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Neil said:

You're right.  They could have ended season 3 with the complication surrounding Viv's upcoming wedding and starting season 4 with the "event" premiere of Viv's wedding, an hour-long show that could have included clips of their adventures and a tearful parting of the ways.  Maybe pre-Rhoda (and later Phyllis), Lucy could have forgotten to pick Viv up for the wedding.   ("Marineland" could WAIT!)

With Viv no longer renting, Mooney might have told her she can no longer afford the house and should consider moving into an apartment. It's good-bye to Chris as she heads off to college (a separate episode) and Jerry suddenly going alt-right and insisting on military school (another separate episode), leaving Lucy alone.  Then Mooney says he's making a change with a transfer to southern California and has picked out a delightful apartment in Hollywood ("There are scads of them there!")  , which would give Lucy the idea:  "I've always loved the idea of living in California.  The closest I've ever gotten was Las Vegas."   Cut to Mooney's face: "Oh NOOOOO!".   Lucy: "I KNOW!!!  We can go in 1/3-2/3rds on a  moving van and drive cross-country together (which could have encompassed 3 episodes including "Theodore's Home Town").  Where's Irma?  She's gone ahead to get the apartment ready.  Lucy figures she should only pay 1/3 because most of the van is taken up with Irma's body-building gym equipment (although I don't think Irma was depicted as the bow-legged 7 ft.tall  'tough-guy-looking' monster she eventually became).  Once they arrive, they discover Audrey Simmons as a stowaway escaping Danfield under the witness-protection program and given a new identity, with a new chipmunk cadence to her voice to thwart the mafia on her trail.  Audrey's crime: under mafia influence, she threw the Danfield Firebells softball game to Ridgebury and had turned state's evidence.  I only wish Frannie, Thelma and Kathleen had joined her stowing away to California. 

This is brilliant. I love the idea of a Lucy/Mooney cross country road trip. That could've been a great season opener. I also adore stowaway Audrey in the witness protection program. You're right that it would've been great if the other girlfriends could've come along as well. The later seasons would've benefitted greatly from Lucy having more friends to interact with - and making them neighbors in Glen Hall would've been natural. Those early season 4 episodes seemed to be setting that idea up, what with Joan Brenner and Brad Collins being introduced along with Mary Jane. Shame it wasn't meant to be. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...