Lucy's 100th Birthday Celebration -- Headliner JOAN RIVERS!

Brock

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL! I didn't think of that, but I guess it nicely ties into their "comedy" theme.

Charlie Sheen to host a special tribute to DRUNKen Lucy, Gilbert Godfried will show clips of her most inappropriate politically incorrect moments and Roseanne Barr will sing a special LUCY IN SONG tribute. Larry King and Regis Philbin host a seminar on PEOPLE WHO DATED LUCY! Can't wait!

The headliner has been prematurely announced on the Lucy-Desi Website as JOAN RIVERS!:

The Center goes forward with four-pillar vision for Center for Comedy on Lucy's 100th Birthday; Announces Headliners Joan Rivers and Whitney Cummings

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – JAMESTOWN, NY – APRIL 1, 2011

CONTACT: Executive Director Journey Gunderson, 716.484.0800, jgunderson@lucy-desi.com

In the spirit of our legacy of comedy and jokes, we welcome you on our most sacred holiday.

Thank you all for coming. The Lucille Ball Desi Arnaz Center has invited you here today to share with you what are some exciting steps toward a vision for this Center, this City and this Region that will have an enormous impact for years to come.

While we’ve long fulfilled our mission to preserve the legacy of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, we also know that their true intentions and hopes were for their legacy to live on in the form of living, breathing comedy that would be as progressive and contemporary as they were.

And so, we’ve adopted a new vision, a revised identity under which to do business, and a four-pillar plan called the Legacy of Laughter to fulfill Lucy and Desi’s original intentions.

Pillar One is a festival of comedy, the concept regarding her legacy that resonated with Lucille Ball the most when it was presented and discussed with her by the Arts Council of Jamestown shortly before her death in 1989.

Pillar Two is a partnership with institutions of higher learning in order to provide educational programming in support of the development of the comedic arts.

Bob Thompson, founding director of the Bleier Center for Television and Popular Culture at Syracuse University, and Professor at the Newhouse School of Communications, has agreed to be a lecturer, panelist and partner as we develop this programmatic series of seminars and classes. With Candace Huber, Director of Continuing Education at Jamestown Community College, we're developing the Summer 2012 platform of "comedy college" courses, and, this August we begin a new category of Membership to the Center for Comedy, proceeds of which go to fund programs and opportunities for people and youth interested in all facets of the comedic arts, so that we can cultivate the next little Lucille Ball.

The Third Pillar is a Comedy Film Festival, paying tribute to the legacy Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz left behind the camera, and behind the scenes, in their roles as producers of the comedic art form, revolutionizing the production process of television and cinema.

The fourth pillar in the Legacy of Laughter vision is the establishment of the first real Comedy Hall of Fame and Award. Like Cooperstown to baseball, Jamestown will induct and honor the comedic artists who most embody the legacy of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz for their impact on the world through the comedic arts.

Now, a statement from Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz, Jr., the children of Lucy and Desi:

"On this, the 100th anniversary of our mother's birth, we are very happy to support the new Board and Staff of The Lucille Ball - Desi Arnaz Center For Comedy, in whose forward thinking and capable hands Mom's original desires for her professional legacy might finally be truly realized- a festival of new comedy, seminars and master classes to train the comedy talents of tomorrow, outreach programs to prove the healing power of love and laughter in our communities and the inauguration of the first ever Comedy Hall of Fame named in honor of her and our father, Desi Arnaz.

On August 6, 1911 Desiree Eveline Hunt Ball birthed a comedy legend in Jamestown, New York. It's fitting that, 100 years to the day, Jamestown christens itself as the birthplace of legions of comedy legends to come and the hometown of legacies of laughter.

Congratulations to the good and patient people of Jamestown for thinking BIG with us and utilizing the gift of Lucy and Desi to its highest potential. They would be so very proud.”

-Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz, Jr.

And so, in 2011 for her 100th birthday, we give Lucille Ball what she always wanted, The Lucille Ball Festival of Comedy:

Thursday, August 4th the festival is headlined by an entertainment legend and absolute icon of comedy. The sole guest host ever of The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, host of her own late night show of her namesake on Fox, winner of an Emmy for her work on daytime television; this legendary comedienne has 50 years of stand-up comedy experience under her belt; and her searing stand-up is better than ever.

Staying true to our mission of not just honoring established comedy genius, but showcasing rising stars as we did Ray Romano, Lewis Black and Ellen Degeneres on their paths to the top in the early nineties, we couple our legendary headliner with a contemporary, just as she is exploding onto the scene, or as it’s said in the business, “blowing up right now.”

You’ve seen her work of late on Comedy Central’s Roast of Donald Trump, Comedy Central’s Roast of Joan Rivers, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno twice just last month, her own Comedy Central special last August; and now she has been grabbed by network giants NBC and CBS, who have each built pilots around her in which she plays the starring, writing, and co-producing role for this fall’s network sitcom lineup. Jamestown is thrilled to have grabbed her when we did.

And so, without further ado, we present to you the first pillar in the Legacy of Laughter vision.

Going forward under our newly expanded brand identity - The Lucy Desi Center for Comedy - and in addition to bringing you the legendary Joan Rivers, and rising star Whitney Cummings, we begin an exciting new partnership with Rooftop Comedy, producer of the Aspen Comedy Festival for the last 4 years, creator and producer of the National College Comedy Competition or NCC – run like the NCAA championship tournament with the support of TBS, producer of Country Music Television’s “Next Big Comic” national competition, and now, co-producer of Jamestown’s Lucille Ball Festival of Comedy.

Will Rogers, CEO and Co-Founder of Rooftop Media, had this to say:

“Rooftop Comedy is proud to share in the excitement of the Lucille Ball 100th Birthday Celebration by partnering with the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center to co-produce a stellar festival this August. It’s a great feeling to be able to use our expertise in talent selection and festival production to gather people together in memory of one of comedy’s most memorable figureheads. We hope to work with the Lucy-Desi Center in a long partnership of bringing groundbreaking comedy to Jamestown, NY.”

August 3-7 will kick-off with the Lucy Desi Night at the Jamestown Jammers, featuring commemorative collectible jerseys. [sEEN SIDE OF STAGE]

Ever-popular LucyTown Tours by bus, and NEW Lucy’s Lakeview Cemetery Tours done in conjunction with Lake View Cemetery and Fenton History Center will both run throughout the days of the festival.

Thursday evening August 4th is headlined by Joan Rivers at the Reg Lenna Civic Center, followed by an exclusive meet and greet with Joan, for donors at our new Headliner Membership Level of $1,000.

Friday will see downtown outdoor festivities with live music, live comedy, local food and spirits, all of which culminates with a parade down 3rd St., featuring a historical re-enactment of one of the biggest nights in Jamestown history: the day Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz came to Jamestown to hold the world premiere of their movie, at the height of their fame, Forever Darling.

Friday night features a showcase of Rooftop Comedy’s best up-and-coming comics, selected from the more than 4,500 comics they review and index 365 nights a year, as well as a unique Lucy Tribute Show by our own very talented youth performance group, The Junior Guilders, performing in the Lucille Ball Little Theater.

Saturday, coupled with the excitement of potentially two different fully occupied passenger trains making special arrivals in Jamestown for the ribbon cutting of the historic Gateway Train Station, we feature two fantastic matinees: a family-friendly comedy show produced by Rooftop Comedy, and, a very unique on-stage re-enactment performance and recording of the 1940s radio show “My Favorite Husband”, which starred Lucille Ball and was the basis for the show “I Love Lucy”. – Live, produced and directed by Gregg Oppenheimer, son of Jess Oppenheimer, the creator of I Love Lucy. So unique is this concept that Sirius Satellite Radio’s Radio Classics Station has decided to come to Jamestown and record it for broadcast.

Saturday’s festival atmosphere of live outdoor comedy, local music, local food and fun culminates with the 8 o’clock show of the newest, hottest face in comedy today: Whitney Cummings at the Reg Lenna Civic Center. Opening for Cummings will be Julian McCullough, first-place finisher at the 2008 New York City Comedy Festival.

Tickets to all of these performances go on sale this Tuesday, April 5 and can be purchased via our new website, at www.lucy-desi.com. If you have a smart phone, just scan our QR code [sEEN ON BACKDROP]. There you will find the rest of the details of the weekend including a silent and live auction of memorabilia from the archives and estates of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz; Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Shows in our own Tropicana Room – a re-creation of Ricky Ricardo’s hot Manhattan night club, and Late Night comedy timeslots in town including Rooftop Comics trying out their newest, sometimes blue-est material, and Open Mic opportunities, all before wrapping up on Sunday with a picnic in young Lucy’s very own stomping ground, Lucille Ball Memorial Celoron Park, hosted by historian and Celoron Mayor, John Keeney.

This just in, some exciting news that is not a joke on April Fools Day -- we have just received word from the Guinness Book of World Records that we can go forward with our proposed attempt to set a world record for the most people dressed as Lucille Ball, in commemoration of her 100th birthday. Registration begins on our website April 5th.

We thank you all for coming today and for your support. What this means to the fans, and to the Center, is a healthy, vibrant legacy that Lucille Ball herself would be proud of.

What this means to the people of Jamestown, Chautauqua County and Western New York is a strengthening of our draw as a destination, and a strengthening of our community.

What this means to the world, is that there is now a place to go to celebrate, study and enjoy as the home of the comedic arts, and it's right here in Jamestown, New York.

-end-

http://www.lucy-desi.com/news/press-releases/100th-birthday-lucy-and-desis-intended-legacy-takes-shape

So the only real Lucy-Desi related events will be on Thursday and Saturday? :( I hope Gregg brings some of the past participants in his radio recreations to Jamestown for the occasion to spice things up a bit. :mellow: The $1,000 donation required to "meet and great" Joan is outrageous. I thought they would have learned from last year not to overprice these kinds of events.

Its pretty standard though. Beyonce charges $900, I believe. Sad I won't be able to afford it because meeting Joan would be pretty sweet.

Every other after party with the headline has only been $50 or so, hasn't it? How many people do they think will spend $1000 to see Joan? It only cost $250 to have brunch with nearly every living member of Lucy's family in 2005.

So far, I think the lineup is disappointing. I was hoping they would go all out for Lucy's 100th birthday especially since they're not doing a May festival this year. I hope Gregg brings along a Lucy related troupe with him that can do some other Lucy related events. I understand them wanting to have this focus on comedy in general, but I was hoping Lucy's centennial would be about Lucy.

Every other after party with the headline has only been $50 or so, hasn't it? How many people do they think will spend $1000 to see Joan? It only cost $250 to have brunch with nearly every living member of Lucy's family in 2005.

So far, I think the lineup is disappointing. I was hoping they would go all out for Lucy's 100th birthday especially since they're not doing a May festival this year. I hope Gregg brings along a Lucy related troupe with him that can do some other Lucy related events. I understand them wanting to have this focus on comedy in general, but I was hoping Lucy's centennial would be about Lucy.

I think it's ridiculous, but I'm guessing Joan doesn't come cheap.

And it is sad Lucy isn't their main focus. As I've said before, Lucy fans come for Lucy.

I agree! I'm very disappointed that there are not more Lucy events. The $1000 fee to "meet and greet" Joan is ridiculous!!!

That HAS to to be the longest and most boring press release ever issued. And although i ADORE Joan Rivers and she did do a Here's Lucy and had her on her show several times, i wouldn't spend a thousand bucks to meet her if my life depended on it. However, i am thrilled that they got a REAL BIG STAR this time, especially for Lucy's 100th, only Carol Burnett would have topped it. Or Betty White.

Not impressed!! :lucymeh: The plans for Lucy's 100th birthday are disappointing at best. :lucyeww: I know Joan Rivers musn't come cheap but $1000 to meet her is, as everyone else has said, outrageous! How many people do they think are actually going to shell out for that? I've been going to Jamestown for Lucy's Birthday Festival for ten years and my interest and motivation for going has always been LUCY. I wish success for all these young and upcoming comics, but personally, I really don't give a crap. I understand that the Center has to think of new and different ways to sustain itself, but I think the fact that the 100th birthday celebration seems to have so little actually to do with Lucy is sad. :(<_<

Not impressed!! :lucymeh: The plans for Lucy's 100th birthday are disappointing at best. :lucyeww: I know Joan Rivers musn't come cheap but $1000 to meet her is, as everyone else has said, outrageous! How many people do they think are actually going to shell out for that? I've been going to Jamestown for Lucy's Birthday Festival for ten years and my interest and motivation for going has always been LUCY. I wish success for all these young and upcoming comics, but personally, I really don't give a crap. I understand that the Center has to think of new and different ways to sustain itself, but I think the fact that the 100th birthday celebration seems to have so little actually to do with Lucy is sad. :(<_<

Well said and so typical of these loons. The whole thing is about L U C Y , not fledging comics, L U C Y , the reason we are all here at The Lounge, they should be showing Lucy movies, Lucy shows, unseen Lucy things. Especially on teh 100th birthday, they screwed up every other year why not try and get the 100th right for a change.

Listen Jamestown New York we want a all Lucille Ball celebration!!!! No new comics, no $1000 fee to see Joan Rivers we want Lucy and nothing but Lucy. What a dry and dull press release. Why are they doing this to the Lucy fans? Come on this is the 100th anniversary of Lucy's birth. The fans want something better. The fans will come looking for true Lucy related events but they will find little known standup comics instead. We can watch new comics on cable tv us true fans demand a true Lucy 100th birthday celebration.

Listen Jamestown New York we want a all Lucille Ball celebration!!!! No new comics, no $1000 fee to see Joan Rivers we want Lucy and nothing but Lucy. What a dry and dull press release. Why are they doing this to the Lucy fans? Come on this is the 100th anniversary of Lucy's birth. The fans want something better. The fans will come looking for true Lucy related events but they will find little known standup comics instead. We can watch new comics on cable tv us true fans demand a true Lucy 100th birthday celebration.

everyone should post their comments on the lucy desi center facebook page the executive director reads all the comments. She needs to know lucy fans are not happy about the planned festival events. I was also surprised there has been no mention of the 60th anniversary of I love lucy and there are no planned events to celebrate the show

everyone should post their comments on the lucy desi center facebook page the executive director reads all the comments. She needs to know lucy fans are not happy about the planned festival events. I was also surprised there has been no mention of the 60th anniversary of I love lucy and there are no planned events to celebrate the show

Or even the fiftieth of The Lucy Show for that matter.

From Lucy Desi Center facebook page

Where are all the Lucy/I Love Lucy events! Shouldn't the fesitval be focusing more on Lucy's 100th Birthday and I love lucy's 60th anniversary. Lucy fans come to Jamestown to celebrate her not unknown comedians!

13 hours ago

Lucy Desi Center Hi Jessica, we have a very large Lucy's 100th Birthday Celebration Parade Friday evening, featuring a historical re-enactment of the day Lucy and Desi did the world premiere of their movie "Forever, Darling" 55 years ago; a Saturday live on......-stage radio show re-enactment performance of "My Favorite Husband," which starred Lucille Ball and was the basis for the show "I Love Lucy", which will be produced and directed live in Jamestown by Gregg Oppenheimer, the son of Jess Oppenheimer, creator of "I Love Lucy" and aired with a live audience on Sirius Radio Classics; the premiere of Oppenheimer's new script and radio play: "Lucy: The Untold Story"; a Guinness Book of World Records attempt at most people dressed as Lucille Ball on Saturday, Aug 6 for her actual 100th birthday which you yourself may participate in; NEW Lucy's Lake View Cemetery Tours; LucyTown Bus Tours; Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Shows in the Tropicana Room; book signings by authors of Lucy literature; silent and live auctions of memorabilia from the archives and estates of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz; screenings of the movie "Forever, Darling", a picnic in Lucille Ball Historical Celoron Park where Lucy spent time in her youth; a "Lucy Tribute Show" by our local Junior Guilders youth performance group in the Lucille Ball Little Theater; special Museum events and photo opportunities; Lucy-Desi Night at the Jamestown Jammers; and more. Hope to see you there!See More

11 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 1 person

That does sound more promising. I was wondering why their previously announced books signing wasn't included in yesterday's announcement. It will be interesting to see who they get for this as it is my understanding that the likeliest candidates for a potential book signing haven't even been approached yet.

From Lucy Desi Center facebook page

Where are all the Lucy/I Love Lucy events! Shouldn't the fesitval be focusing more on Lucy's 100th Birthday and I love lucy's 60th anniversary. Lucy fans come to Jamestown to celebrate her not unknown comedians!

13 hours ago

Lucy Desi Center Hi Jessica, we have a very large Lucy's 100th Birthday Celebration Parade Friday evening, featuring a historical re-enactment of the day Lucy and Desi did the world premiere of their movie "Forever, Darling" 55 years ago; a Saturday live on......-stage radio show re-enactment performance of "My Favorite Husband," which starred Lucille Ball and was the basis for the show "I Love Lucy", which will be produced and directed live in Jamestown by Gregg Oppenheimer, the son of Jess Oppenheimer, creator of "I Love Lucy" and aired with a live audience on Sirius Radio Classics; the premiere of Oppenheimer's new script and radio play: "Lucy: The Untold Story"; a Guinness Book of World Records attempt at most people dressed as Lucille Ball on Saturday, Aug 6 for her actual 100th birthday which you yourself may participate in; NEW Lucy's Lake View Cemetery Tours; LucyTown Bus Tours; Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Shows in the Tropicana Room; book signings by authors of Lucy literature; silent and live auctions of memorabilia from the archives and estates of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz; screenings of the movie "Forever, Darling", a picnic in Lucille Ball Historical Celoron Park where Lucy spent time in her youth; a "Lucy Tribute Show" by our local Junior Guilders youth performance group in the Lucille Ball Little Theater; special Museum events and photo opportunities; Lucy-Desi Night at the Jamestown Jammers; and more. Hope to see you there!See More

11 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 1 person

Well, that's certainly a lot better, thanks for the info.

Lucy's Lake View Cemetery Tours sounds awful, and does that mean the cemetery has been taken off of the Lucy Town Tours? (In which case, I call BS)

I think it is a separate walking tour through the cemetary which takes you, in addition to the Hunt-Ball plot, to various other Lucy-related and notable graves within the cemetery. Joyce, can you confirm?

Archived