Can ANYONE enlighten me ?

Yes, Desi was a womanizer. He knew he could get anything and everything because of his charm and self-confidence. I have nothing against Desi, I think he did truly make Lucy happy for many years and was an amazing father to their children, but deep down he was a boy at heart and wanted to run wild. Gambling, drinking, and, womanizing included. I felt very sorry for Lucy as she put up with it for years, and if being with Gary made her happy, then thats all we need to know. There may be more to it behind the scenes that we may never know about. But im sure Lucy, being the powerful business woman she was, would not let anyone walk all over her; Desi nor Gary did not control her.

Amen to that sister! The last part i mean, LOL!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG are you trying to EXCUSE mr Arnaz' constant philandering??? He was a rich spoiled little brat who was brought to a brothel very young and never stopped indulging in his womanizing ways all through his life. He thought, as his culture had destined, that if you did it with prostitutes it did not dinminish your married life in any way. Lucy found it demeaning and traumatizing to constantly be humiliated by these actions, everybody knew he slept with anything in a skirt and even a guy in a suit one time, LOL! Or at least that's what Cesar Romero said. But maybe Lucy did it also with Audrey meadows, so who knows? Yes, she fooled around also, and you all know how i feel about that, if your husband does it with every young woman he encounters, why shouldn't she do the same? And getting it back on the original topic, i've always suspected that the person Desi caught her having an affair with with an address in NY was gary anyway.

Really?? I don't excuse his behavior.. I am trying to understand it.. no one is perfect.. I think Lucille accepted Desi warts and all, until Mr. Arnaz became Mr. Ricardo... then the rules changed for both of them and I am sure she didn't approve of him ignoring his new "guidelines".. But Gary?? I don't know what she saw in him unless he let her have her way all the time.. who knows.. maybe she was satisfied with him.. maybe not.. I just wonder what his motives were for him to be percieved as not having her best INTRESTS at heart.. I wonder what his MAIN motives were.. I mean.. why would he even want to meet her and why did he pursue her to the point where I think she said yes just to shut him up..and another thing... WASN'T GARY like 15 years younger than her??? I think he was wasn't he.. when they met she was 50 and he was 35... so maybe he tought she'd keal over in a few and he would hit the jackpot..anyone with any thoughts on this?? Thanks guys.. you make my day by sharing your info and opinions!

Really?? I don't excuse his behavior.. I am trying to understand it.. no one is perfect.. I think Lucille accepted Desi warts and all, until Mr. Arnaz became Mr. Ricardo... then the rules changed for both of them and I am sure she didn't approve of him ignoring his new "guidelines".. But Gary?? I don't know what she saw in him unless he let her have her way all the time.. who knows.. maybe she was satisfied with him.. maybe not.. I just wonder what his motives were for him to be percieved as not having her best INTRESTS at heart.. I wonder what his MAIN motives were.. I mean.. why would he even want to meet her and why did he pursue her to the point where I think she said yes just to shut him up..and another thing... WASN'T GARY like 15 years younger than her??? I think he was wasn't he.. when they met she was 50 and he was 35... so maybe he tought she'd keal over in a few and he would hit the jackpot..anyone with any thoughts on this?? Thanks guys.. you make my day by sharing your info and opinions!

Well, we all have a TYPE that we're attracted to and Lucy's was TOUGH, handsome ugly she called it, and yes, he was much younger so that helped. He also gave her what she needed, a dignified LOOK, always well dressed and well groomed and more importantly, no scandals whatsoever. What motivated HIM? Money, what else? She gave him CLASS and position, a great paying job, but he sure was no Desi about managing her career. And one was always out fooling around with booze and broads and the other was always away playing golf, they both had their own way of neglecting her.

It's strange that no one can figure out exactly when Gary Morton was born. I've heard he was anywhere from 6-15 years her junior. Lucy was one of the original Hollywood Cougars. She seemed to really like the younger men, no? She was awesome. :peachonthebeach:

I'd have to say that even though Gary may have really loved Lucy, the money thang was probably another big attraction to him. I really hope he did love her for her because it saddens me to think Gary was only with Lucy because she gave him financial security. I just remember hearing the story that Lee Tannen told in his book about what Gary said after Lucy just died, "This is my house now and I'm going to do things my way!" or something to that effect. It's like, was he speaking out of grief or was that the way he really felt all those years, that he married a rich older broad and was just waiting for her to croak to get his hands on her moolah?

It's strange that no one can figure out exactly when Gary Morton was born. I've heard he was anywhere from 6-15 years her junior. Lucy was one of the original Hollywood Cougars. She seemed to really like the younger men, no? She was awesome. :peachonthebeach:

I'd have to say that even though Gary may have really loved Lucy, the money thang was probably another big attraction to him. I really hope he did love her for her because it saddens me to think Gary was only with Lucy because she gave him financial security. I just remember hearing the story that Lee Tannen told in his book about what Gary said after Lucy just died, "This is my house now and I'm going to do things my way!" or something to that effect. It's like, was he speaking out of grief or was that the way he really felt all those years, that he married a rich older broad and was just waiting for her to croak to get his hands on her moolah?

Ok, let's not get carried away, they truly loved each other and after being told what to do by Admiral Ball all those years, he was just happy to be able to do what he wanted for a change. And Lucy did not make it a habit of dating younger men, she usually dated OLDER men her whole life. Even worrying when she kept going to Frankie Avalon's nightclub gigs that people would start rumors of their dating if she went there again. I cannot say this often enough so for the 1000th time . . . Gary made her laugh, truly loved her, gave her a marriage filled with trust, held her hand and protected her, gave her the stability of a long and sustained marriage in a town known for quicky divorces and never had one scandal attached to him during that marriage. He was a great stepfather, a real shyster when it came to making money in unethical ways but he did have her best interests at heart, MOST OF THE TIME.

Gary was born December 18, 1924. He was 13 years younger than Lucy. Gary claimed to be 44 on their marriage license to make them seem closer in age. In "Love, Lucy," Lucy claims Gary was 46 when they married. He wasn't even 38.

Gary was born December 18, 1924. He was 13 years younger than Lucy. Gary claimed to be 44 on their marriage license to make them seem closer in age. In "Love, Lucy," Lucy claims Gary was 46 when they married. He wasn't even 38.

Yeah, she made the mistake of stating her true age for herself when coming to Hollywood, she wasn't going to repeat that mistake with gary. LOL!

I think Susie Morton was holding onto Lucy's love letters from Desi or something like that. I can't remember if Lucie got those back or not. That's some BS though. I mean, the gall of holding onto Lucy's personal items and keeping them from the kids. That ain't right. Don't like that wench. :lucyeww:

I think Susie Morton was holding onto Lucy's love letters from Desi or something like that. I can't remember if Lucie got those back or not. That's some BS though. I mean, the gall of holding onto Lucy's personal items and keeping them from the kids. That ain't right. Don't like that wench. :lucyeww:

No, their LUCY/DESI love letters were stored by Lucy in her bathroom on Roxbury and Lucie picked those up. What she neglected to pick up were some awards and make up things and so on, they were ready for her to pick up but she never did is what i read about it all. Maybe she had picked up the things belonging to her mom on Roxbury but never got the ones in the Palm Springs house which had been left to gary by Lucy and that's where he lived till he died, including the time with his new wife.

They were actually Lucy's love letters to Gary. Lucie got back her mother's awards and a few other items.

Alright, so Susie didn't give everything back to Lucie? Because she should have. What would Susan want them for, to sell on eBay? lol

EXACTLY! Same reason people kept taking souvenirs from her home, the way Lee Tannen drooled over all that Lucy merchandise in her pool room, the way some people kept asking her for her autograph on anything, there's BIG money in those Lucy souvenirs. Probably the reason gary kept those awards and personal items of hers in the first place, he knew they would be worth a fortune. He should have donated them to the Lucy Museum or offered them to her kids at least.

That's terrible of her though. Real class. She never even met Lucy, right? And she was only married to Gary for like 3 years before he died? No wonder Lucie and Desi Jr. were upset. Still don't like that wench lol.

Aww come on, stop being so hard on her, she was married to gary morton for three years, so hasn't she suffered enough? :lucythrill:

Archived